Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times

Advertisements

Okay over 4 years ago I stopped on a trip home from SC and bought a 4 wheeler. Chose to go a head apay sales tax wit the understanding that it would credit to NC. Dealer assured me nothing had to be done. Well 4 years later I get a letter from NC rev.service saying I owe 900.00 in taxes and penalties. WTF They are saying i paid more than I did and the dtes aren't even right on the purchase date. I have all my paper work where I paid taxes. What foot do I have to stand on and can i fight this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,579,717 times
You should be able to dispute it - did you pay SC or NC tax when you bought it? If you buy something in another state and pay sales tax, you shouldn't owe NC use tax on top of what you already paid in SC.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
By "4-wheeler", do you mean a DMV tagged truck or ATV?

Last edited by mm34b; 07-21-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,083,976 times
Any tax paid where you bought it should be credited against any tax you may owe in NC.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times
Out-of-state purchases by NC residents - Use Tax

Frequently Asked Questions About Use Tax - http://www.dor.state.nc.us/faq/use.html

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,579,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Out-of-state purchases by NC residents - Use Tax

Frequently Asked Questions About Use Tax - Frequently Asked Questions - Use Tax
This is the part that's applicable to the OP:

Quote:
If I make purchases of tangible personal property while in another state, do I owe North Carolina use tax on these purchases? If the items are purchased for storage, use, or consumption in North Carolina, they are subject to the North Carolina use tax whether the purchases are delivered to you in another state or shipped to you in North Carolina. If you paid another state's sales or use tax on the out-of-state purchases, that amount may be credited against the North Carolina use tax due. You may not claim a credit for sales tax or value-added tax paid to another country.
It looks like the SC sales tax is 5-6%, compared with 6.75% for Wake County. So, if you paid SC sales tax on the ORV, then you would owe .75%-1.75% to NC. I would just contact NC and work it out - I'm sure there was a phone number on the notice you received. I recommend being very polite in dealing with them - explain what the dealer told you, offer to fax your paperwork, etc.

And to correct my earlier post - I guess technically you do owe the difference, but you should not get hit up with the full 6.75% for NC tax without taking into account whatever tax you did pay when you bought it.

The SC dealer you purchased from must be pretty close to the NC state line. I've heard of states going after furniture stores for lists of customers, but ATV's is a new one to me!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times
Default tax

Just talked to a friend of a friend with the rev service and he is going to get it worked out for me. He says they just installed a new system and it is back tracking this type of thing. So internet shoppers be aware that NC wants its tax. thanks so much for the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary