Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

I like your questionnaire beckycat and plan to fill it out once I move. I was reading some previous posts about moving to NC and it makes me kind of sad. All I read about was too many different nationalities, overcrowding, bad schools, prices, etc. Seems like we're all kind of in the same boat regardless of where we live. I lived in Southern CA for 20 years and if you want to complain about any of the above...I moved to AZ to move in with mom when I went broke living in CA. I was paying $625 for a 1-bd (remember this was 5 years ago), in an apt house that was primarily out of work alcoholics, drug users, people who thought it was ok to beat up on their spouses, etc. We paid higher prices for gas and food and even though the minimum wage was higher than most places, it didn't even out. I moved to AZ and 4 years ago I was looking into buying a house here. All I saw under $200k was apts that were made into condos (why pay $120k for the same place that I was renting and had someone else taking care of the maintenance, not to mention why would I pay that much to share walls with the same creeps I had before when I was just renting?) Gas was cheaper, but so was pay, I was offered 6.50 an hour for something that I was making $10 for before. Let's not even talk about the 115 degree heat, or no green, unless you want to hug a cactus. So I started looking for the place I want to live, started in Southern VA, found a cheap house to fix up, but no work, but never met nicer people, no road rage, people didn't treat me like an outsider and I loved the sweet accents that I hadn't heard much before. Now all I'm reading is that things are just as bad in NC as they are here (or in CA, or fill in the blank). Things are bad everywhere, but if I'm going to be broke, pay too much in gas, not make enough money, etc I think I'd rather live in a place where it's green, even if I have to live with humidity (isn't that what makes it green?), there are houses NOT made of adobe and red tile roofs, and I can actually wear a turtleneck in the winter time. I want great architecture (that's my field), and a place that has a history that's not just a little over 100 years old. AZ has history, don't get me wrong, maybe it's just that I want something different than what I grew up with. So I'll keep wearing my rose-colored glasses, thank you, and try to remember that a lot of the things in life wont change that much, but my QUALITY of life will. Everyone I've spoken to over the phone has been friendly and welcoming, and I will be the same when I'm there. I realize that we're one big melting pot and to that end we should all just try and get along and welcome each others differences. There are good people and bad people of every sex, race, color, religion, etc. There are just good people and bad people. For myself, I'm looking forward to calling NC home and promise to be a proud and good steward of everything that it offers.

Sorry to ramble...I had a lot on my mind! Have a great day everybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Raleigh?
Outside Boston; 1.5 months.

2. What was the most important reason you moved to Raleigh?
Wife's job

3. What made you pick the area you moved?
Close to her job; walkable; close to/walkable to school; walkable to job; essentially, tried to get as quasi-urban of an environment as was reasonably possible given the other things we decided we needed.

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?
Still workin' on it! Still trying to get a grip with the fact that Wake Forest University isn't in Wake Forest. (Yes, I know that the school moved from Wake Forest to Winston Salem in the middle of the last century.)

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?
TBA! But, I don't think there's anywhere else in NC I would have moved. Definitely not anywhere other than the Triangle; probably not other than Chapel Hill.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?
Hard question to answer, so I'll cop out and say it's about the same. I'll try to revisit after the stretch of 90-degree days end.

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh?
It depends why they're thinking of moving to the area.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,901 times
Default Would I move to Raleigh again?

CA & NJ

To by a house since the prices are much more reasonable

For a better life and to be able to retire in 5 years at age 65.

I was comfortable for about one month, than my job was making me sick (because of management) so I had to terminate my employment.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move, if no, would you have chosen another area in NC?
No, I would not have moved, but who can see the future? I should have stayed in CA and forgot about buying a house. At least there I had a good paying job with health benefits. I've lost all that.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Raleigh then where you moved from?
Unfortunately, much worse.

Yes, if you have money and/or a decent job. The "Southern Hospitality" is wonderful to be around.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cath61 View Post
I like your questionnaire beckycat and plan to fill it out once I move. I was reading some previous posts about moving to NC and it makes me kind of sad. All I read about was too many different nationalities, overcrowding, bad schools, prices, etc. Seems like we're all kind of in the same boat regardless of where we live. I lived in Southern CA for 20 years and if you want to complain about any of the above...I moved to AZ to move in with mom when I went broke living in CA. I was paying $625 for a 1-bd (remember this was 5 years ago), in an apt house that was primarily out of work alcoholics, drug users, people who thought it was ok to beat up on their spouses, etc. We paid higher prices for gas and food and even though the minimum wage was higher than most places, it didn't even out. I moved to AZ and 4 years ago I was looking into buying a house here. All I saw under $200k was apts that were made into condos (why pay $120k for the same place that I was renting and had someone else taking care of the maintenance, not to mention why would I pay that much to share walls with the same creeps I had before when I was just renting?) Gas was cheaper, but so was pay, I was offered 6.50 an hour for something that I was making $10 for before. Let's not even talk about the 115 degree heat, or no green, unless you want to hug a cactus. So I started looking for the place I want to live, started in Southern VA, found a cheap house to fix up, but no work, but never met nicer people, no road rage, people didn't treat me like an outsider and I loved the sweet accents that I hadn't heard much before. Now all I'm reading is that things are just as bad in NC as they are here (or in CA, or fill in the blank). Things are bad everywhere, but if I'm going to be broke, pay too much in gas, not make enough money, etc I think I'd rather live in a place where it's green, even if I have to live with humidity (isn't that what makes it green?), there are houses NOT made of adobe and red tile roofs, and I can actually wear a turtleneck in the winter time. I want great architecture (that's my field), and a place that has a history that's not just a little over 100 years old. AZ has history, don't get me wrong, maybe it's just that I want something different than what I grew up with. So I'll keep wearing my rose-colored glasses, thank you, and try to remember that a lot of the things in life wont change that much, but my QUALITY of life will. Everyone I've spoken to over the phone has been friendly and welcoming, and I will be the same when I'm there. I realize that we're one big melting pot and to that end we should all just try and get along and welcome each others differences. There are good people and bad people of every sex, race, color, religion, etc. There are just good people and bad people. For myself, I'm looking forward to calling NC home and promise to be a proud and good steward of everything that it offers.

Sorry to ramble...I had a lot on my mind! Have a great day everybody!
Definately let us know and good luck to you! I think life is what you make it to be. I think things happen for a reason also. You have to do your best and stay positive. If not, it will only bring you down and make you unhappy. Things that happen only to make us become stronger people. I do believe that the economy is not the best everywhere at this time. But you know what, we always seem to pull through one way or another. Money isn't everything. True you need resources to live, but quality of life is so very important too. Have you found employment in NC yet? Just keep positive and things will work out. We're in FL and have to wait to sell our house and hopefully we'll be there soon!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 185,708 times
Near Houston, Tx. Baytown, Tx to be exact. Living in Franklinton (just north of raleigh) for about 3 three years.

Different change of scenery and 4 yes 4 actual seasons. You can go from the mountains to the coast. You can travel to a lot of different places without taking a week to drive.

Threw a dart at the map..LOL The housing prices were o.k. and we wanted to try the small town life but still close to Raleigh. Actually liking the small town life and dont have to worry about the rat race life anymore.

Took me awhile. I am and always will be a Texan. Had deep roots firmly in Texas when we moved. Still get a little homesick, but loving life now. Quiet and just one day at a time. My wife was o.k. from the get-go. She misses some of her family every now and then. Getting used to a state tax was not so bad. The vehicle tax still sucks.

A lot of that depends on the person and what they want. If no, maybe
Charlotte area or the mountains.

It's better as in weather wise. Make about what we made in Texas. There are a lot of different taxes for things here. The part that irks me is not spending the tax money right. Not a big fan of the current governor. Then again I'm a republican, pro death penalty, conseravative from Texas..LOL. Seriously I'm still alive, the wife and son are happy. We dont have oppresive heat constantly. The small town community is pretty nice. We can afford to pay bills and have fun occasionally. I'd say it's good.

Sure, why not. Need more Texans here. Then maybe more stores will sell briskets instead of just Wal Mart Superstore.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM

28 posts, read 117,326 times
Scottsdale, Arizona (5 years); before that Greenville, SC; lived in Durham for 2.5 months

My job was moving here but it was really a way to get us back on this side of the country. We LOVED Arizona but ALL our family is now within a 6.5 hour drive; most family is within 4 hours. We had a small house in Scottsdale and knew we couldn't afford all that much there, even with our decent income. Also, AZ schools aren't good.

My job relocated to Durham so that's why we chose to move here. We chose near Southpoint because I like being close to Target, REI, etc. We are renting for 6 months and depending on where hubby gets a job, we may move to N. Raleigh.

I'm still not comfortable here. I don't hate it but I don't love it quite yet either. My hubby (who is in architecture) is having a heck of a time finding a job. No one wants to hire his level (working towards his registration; master's degree and 8 yrs. experience). Everyone wants interns.

Possibly Charlotte, but my job moved us here so probably not.

Still trying to decide. Some things are cheaper but it isn't as cheap as we thought it would be. It was a little disappointing. We know it was the right choice though to move here because family is so close and schools are better. We just need to make some friends and get in a house!

7. Would you recommend others move to Raleigh? Probably.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 16,634 times
Default Excellent Thread!

My wife and I are trying to decide whether to relocate to the Raleigh area from Northern VA. We have been reading posts for several months here, and generally have found generalizations about both NoVA and Raleigh to have many elements of truth. No need to repeat all the good/bad here, but sufficient to say that there are pros/cons to most things in life based on individual viewpoint. Positive observations in this thread match what we have discovered on our own in Raleigh. We visited Raleigh this past weekend for another look, and the decision is still a tough one. One question we are asking: other than the RTP (since we are not IT or pharma types), where are the major employment centers?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
"FWIW" as I just got here...

1. Richmond /a few weeks

2. Job

3. N/A, still looking

4. N/A

5. No and yes, probably outside of Charlotte

6. Too soon to tell

7. Probably not

PS people telling you Cary is some pristine paradise don't know what they're talking about IMO. Oh it seems nice enough, don't get me wrong, but the way I heard it was I think WAY overblown. Not all of it is spotless, the neighborhoods/etc aren't all new, it's not all "Yankees" etc etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 23,300 times
Scandinavia in Europe - 6 month

Job - and certainly not a planned move

North Raleigh - very similar to the neighborhood back home. Not innercity, but close to shopping and RDU (and of course downtown)

From the very first day...

No - but I wish I did not signed such a long lease - would have liked to have the opportunity to move to another neighborhood in a year or two to try something else. When we signed it, it felt right. But dont get me wrong - we love the neighborhood.

Absolutely - We lived a fantastic life back home, but here it is even better. just wish family and friends were here. A house here is a third the price compared to the prices back hame. Climate 20 degrees warmer, and the hospitality here is amasing

For other North Europeans - Definitely - but it will be hard to move back one day

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM

52 posts, read 142,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-on-the-prowel View Post
Hi Beckycat,

Your post is inspiring! We (me and my husband) are contemplating a move to the area...from New Mexico. Do you know of any other New Mexicans who moved there and how they have adjusted? In researching areas, Raleigh/Durham area is great for us...I just know that we are from a very different part of the country (world).

I am a social worker looking for quality of life (fits the area values) and work in the mental health field...which also seems to abound in the area.

What's it like in the winter there? Does it snow? How warm/cold is it? I would like your perception.

Thank you
My next door neighbor moved to Raleigh after 13 years in NM and they love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary