U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 PM

8 posts, read 49,971 times

Advertisements

Is city/well water out there hard or soft?

if it's too hard, i'll have to have a chat with a Kinetico sales rep...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,948,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
We're on a well too. We've had no problems to speak of and we feel the water is better than city.

You can check with the city or county to find out specifics on wells in specific areas. A while back during a drought we checked to see how good the aquifer is in our particular part of Raleigh (north) and we learned the supply is excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geyerl View Post
I live in Wake County just north of Raleigh. One-half of our community (50 homes) is on a community well, a single large-bore well dug on an undeveloped lot from which water is piped to surrounding home. The rest of the homes (including ours) have individual wells. These are 4-inch lined wells 300-500 feet deep. An electric pump is hung near the bottom and water is pumped up a 1-inch PVC pipe to a storage/pressure tank under the house. The wells produce 1-2 gallons a minute. While we don't pay $40/month for city water, we do have to replace the pump ($1,000) about every 10-15 years. Also, long-term production could be an issue as development grows and if annual rainfall falls....

Curious, what's the approximate cost to install a well (equipment, digging, permits, etc.)? I'm considering one just for the outside (sprinkler system) and want to see if it's cost effective.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 PM

10 posts, read 9,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Curious, what's the approximate cost to install a well (equipment, digging, permits, etc.)? I'm considering one just for the outside (sprinkler system) and want to see if it's cost effective.
It depends on how deep you go. I recently put one in on some land I have in Orange County. It went to 350ft and cost about $5000. The price goes up pretty quickly as it gets deeper. Compared to the $20K the Orange County Water Authority wanted I feel I got off cheap.

One thing any well user should have is a Cyclic Stop Valve (I'll let you look it up on the net). This helps keep the pressure at the preset level without turning your pump on and off. You can use a miniscule water tank and the pump just runs the whole time. It is important to understand that turning the pump off and on is what kills it the fastest.

I have a 250ft well in Durham on my property that I use for irrigation. I use a CSV on it (about $125, easy to install) and I have a 12 gal pressure tank. When I run, I can pump 18 gpm continuously (water level only deflects 4 feet the whole time, aren't lasers great?) through my 1.25" mains. In other words I can put out a heck of a lot of water if I want to. (Not that I am advocating wasting water!) Using the CSV my pump never shuts off even down to .5 gpm. It will make your pump last longer and no high/low showers!

I just put one on the well in Orange, and two friends in Chatham love them too. (No, I don't sell them or own stock in any company that does, I just use them!)

Charles Richardson

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 9,734 times
The water through out the MidAtlantic is considered soft to slightly hard 0-30 mg/l. I have had more problems with aciditity than hardness. Though you don't get that slick-hands feeling that you get from truly soft water.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:39 PM

60 posts, read 81,727 times
Default water filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geyerl View Post
A filter is important with well water. We have a whole-house filter to remove sediment, sand and clay. Otherwise the grit would tear up the washing machine pump, clog our ice maker, stain our sinks, etc. We use a 30-micron cartridge system - anything smaller will clog too fast. We use the "string" type filters that look like a tube of yarn. They need to be changed about every three months.

we have Hague water max house filter from clear choice water solutions we put salt in it once a year it cleans itself every two weeks and keeps the water clean 24/7

Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,726,021 times
We're on a community well which is run by "Aqua". It's awesome - our water bills each month are about $20!! And we have three kids and do a lot of laundry and dish-washing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary