Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 11:42 PM

22 posts, read 120,930 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any biotech/pharma strategy consulting jobs in this area. Most of these jobs seem to be top heavy in Boston & San Francisco with small pockets in New York. Since UNC CH and Duke both have great MBA programs, I was wondering if there are any small boutique firms here.

Also, how is the job market for science based positions in this area like research associates positions(science jobs for a BA/BS in a life science) that are non academic and in industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 06:29 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,917 times
Here's a link to the companies in RTP:
http://www.rtp.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&filename=job_opportuniti es.html (broken link)

There are other companies outside the Park, such as Novozymes in Franklinton, and there's a couple in North Durham that you could check out (I'm drawing a blank on the names...)

That should be enough to get you started!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM

583 posts, read 2,803,601 times
Just search for recruiters or temp agencies in the RTP area & get your resume out there. There are tons of companies around here hiring. The big pharma companies might also be interested. Exactly what area are you looking to be a consultant in?
The jobs for research associates also are plentiful. After you talk to a few recruiters and agencies, your email box will be filled with open positions for you to consider.
Good luck in your job hunt!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 PM

21 posts, read 123,418 times
Try also Campbell consulting and RTI international

Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 PM

22 posts, read 120,930 times
Thanks!

I know McKinsey, BCG and Bain don't have offices here. Besides The Campbell Alliance, are there any other biotech strategy consulting firms?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,410,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
and there's a couple in North Durham that you could check out (I'm drawing a blank on the names...)
I believe Merck is one...as far as I can recall.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:52 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
Thanks!

I know McKinsey, BCG and Bain don't have offices here. Besides The Campbell Alliance, are there any other biotech strategy consulting firms?
You're right, most of the major consultancies don't have a presence here, but I don't know about smaller ones. I have a friend-of-a-friend in the health care MBA program over at Fuqua... I will ask whether they know of any biotech strategy consulting firms here.

There is a ton of big pharma here, but lots of it at the research and manufacturing level. Also some startups doing pharma-related work (e.g., single-dose medicine dispensers.) Will see what I can find out about what you're interested in.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 123,418 times
Some other suggestions:

1. Get into commercial analysis group of major pharma/biotech company here
2. Negotiate with other big consulting firms for you to work as a satellite in the NC area as there are market opportunities here. ( I start to see some people doing this). Clients are now looking for quick and immediate service
3. Pair up with other medical service and communication companies to bid for projects. A lot of these companies have strength on one or the other areas and there is a trend for them to work with affliate consultants to beef up their "portfolio". You can work here in NC but pairing up these companies in other states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary