Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Don't generalize by ZIP code. The codes are large and contain many sub-areas.

For example, we once lived here and it is now a blighted area, Mini-City.

5009 N NEW HOPE RD APT (Range B1 - B4)
RALEIGH NC 27604-7304

We now live in Northridge Crossings Apts in 27616 and it's great.

We once lived right next to the country club on Falls in ZIP 27615. The apt had turned into a completely crime-ridden heap of trash.

Check the area for yourself. If crime's your concern, Raleigh PD will give you a call history for any particular block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 20,957 times
27610 has been said to have highest crime in Raleigh. But as you've read many posts before this one, don't generalize by zip code. Call the local police department and they can give you crime stats for the area you are looking at.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
I showed a couple of houses in Brighton and I have to say that I was NOT impressed. My clients were turned off by the unkept yards and one of the houses that we looked at had vinyl siding that had green yucky stuff growing on it. Compared to similar priced homes in Braeton, we left feeling that the neighborhood was just looking worse than the last time we were there. Does anyone feel differently?

Vicki

Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,370 times
I live in Brighton and have for the past few years. Overall the subdivision is nice and quiet. However, there are always those families that cause the problems: play their home or car stereos so loud that your house will vibrate, homeowners parking in the street instead of their driveway (having too many cars for your driveway), and children who do not know how to respect others people property. I would welcome anyone to move in this area. I would advise that should you move to this area that you know your subdivision's covenants and abide by them in order to keep the neighborhood nice and quiet.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:33 PM

353 posts, read 995,670 times
We bought in 27616 (Riverside) in 2004. $161,000, 1920 sq ft, Centex home. We just sold for $199,000 and think the almost $40,000 appreciation was more than we could have ever hoped for.

In reading the forums, I have seen less generalizations about zip codes and more about being east or west of Capital Blvd. Seems being east of Capital is "seedier" than the west side. I didn't care, it appreciated nicely for us, and I believe it will continue to as the areas north/east of Capital (Wake Forest, Louisburg Road, 64, (now that 540 goes toward Knightdale) ) will only bring more development and appreciation with it.

Just my two pennies

Old 12-05-2007, 03:50 PM

820 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
27604 ?

Census.gov will tell you all you need to know
I'm really trying to believe this is not what I think it is....

Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
I live in 27616. It's exactly what I was seeking. I'm in a nice diverse neighborhood that seems to span the office type to the working class. I moved from a upper end, total white collar neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdms97 View Post
I live in Brighton and have for the past few years. Overall the subdivision is nice and quiet. However, there are always those families that cause the problems: play their home or car stereos so loud that your house will vibrate, homeowners parking in the street instead of their driveway (having too many cars for your driveway), and children who do not know how to respect others people property. I would welcome anyone to move in this area. I would advise that should you move to this area that you know your subdivision's covenants and abide by them in order to keep the neighborhood nice and quiet.
bsdms, have you tried calling the HOA? Unfortunately, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the entire neighborhood.

Vicki

Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 16,416 times
I moved from Northern Virgnia a year ago and I purchaed a house in the 27616 zip and its growing fine. Its one of the fastest growing zips in the county. It may have been dodgy years ago, but there is a ton of development going on here. The Triangle mall is here and there is a ton of development slated for the Buffaloe road/401 area. it takes seconds for me to get downtown. If you are looking to buy low and eventually selling higher in Raleigh, the Northeast is the place. Most folks are finding it pricy to live in Cary and are moving Northeast. This is a result of the 540 connection which makes an easy drive to places. My investment is very solid at the moment and I am very glad I purchased in this area

Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
Zip code lottery maybe...? One moves to an area for its appeal, its reputation, and its schools, parks, conveniences, and their gut feels. I have not heard that zip code was part of the search criteria. To find about the make up of a particular zip code this site seems to give the most information I have seen less taking a personal census of the zip coded area. Who has time for that these days? [cut - no links to direct competitors]

I agree with the other posters that generalities about an area based on its zip code is well the inverse of zippy its down right slow! Every area has its bright spots among its darker sides, one just has to look harder to find them.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-06-2007 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: [cut - no links to direct competitors]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary