Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Well, 27610 is "the Ghetto" of Raleigh, to be blunt. There are some OK or nice areas, but Southeast Raleigh in general is not somewhere a newcomer would want to live, I suspect.

27604 is extremely mixed; you have the Oakwood/Mordecai areas which are charming old areas with a vibrant mix of old-style "Main St, USA" and highly in demand, but they are right on the edge of some high crime areas, too. Further north, east of Capital, it's not so rosy. There are a few neighborhoods that were once "family" neighborhoods in the 1960s and 1970s but have now fallen into seediness. I think 27604 is probably the most "diverse" zip code as far as "attractive and nonattractive" areas go. 27616 is a very new area and I'm surprised to hear anything negative about them.

My favorite (I have lived in Raleigh for 40 years) are 27609 and 27612, but that's probably because those were my old stomping grounds growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM

20 posts, read 55,009 times
Unhappy Raleigh Neighborhoods

One thing people forget to realize, is that crime is EVERYWHERE, its just the TYPE of crime going on. Burgleries in all neighborhoods, drugs in all neighborhoods, except some are on the street and others are in the house. You may have the facade of peace but the crimes are being committed in those nice little homes, not to mention pedophiles and abuse of all kinds. The problem is that people do not want to take responsibility for where they live, they are scared, not fully supported by law enforcement, hounded by the day to day demands on their lives. And where does that leave us? Separated by the amount of money you make, your "religion", disconcern about your neighbors (how many of you just say hello to your neighbors?) And a "If it doesn't affect me, I dont give a s*&^" attitude!
This will be the demise of Raleigh no matter what neighborhood you live in.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Default Invalidity of Zip Code as Real Estate indicator....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I agree totally here...a zipcode is an arbitrary line drawn by the post office...it has NOTHING to do with areas/neighborhoods/etc. There are zipcodes in raleigh that stretch out to include ritzy weathy areas, urban ghettos, and even out to farmland all in one zipcode. They're totally meaningless. Using a zip code to find out information around here will get ya practically no accuracy whatsoever.

27604 is a classic example of this. Look at the map below. This Zip Code runs from downtown Raleigh all the way to Knightale in the East, and borders North Raleigh for half of this length. From old urban, thru suburban, to rural.
American FactFinder

Last edited by autumngal; 04-11-2008 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I think the problem with 27616 is that it is real close to Capital Blvd...and most people who have lived here a while will try to (for the most part) avoid Capital Blvd.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 PM

19 posts, read 51,825 times
I don't agree. I've seen some $300k houses in the 27604 zip code. Although 27604 also includes more affordable housing than say 27614. But I don't think there's anything wrong with any of the zip codes. I go by the neighborhood.

There is a wonderful neighborhood that borders Knightdale that just happens to have a 27610 zip code. That doesn't mean it's less than desirable.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

in reality, each zip has a reputation. That reputation greatly determines the old location,location,location theory of real estate. The LLL factor determines appreciation, days on the market, value of the dirt, buyer/seller negotiations, contingency offers, sell vs asking price, inspection issues, appraisal problems etc etc. There are plenty of great neighborhoods in less thought of zips. The zip hurts the neighborhood much more than the neighborhood helping the zip.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I think the problem with 27616 is that it is real close to Capital Blvd...and most people who have lived here a while will try to (for the most part) avoid Capital Blvd.
I disagree. I limited my search to areas near Capital, 440, and 540. I wanted access.

In the end, I paid less for my house than the average. So, I have money to make the little changes to make the house exactly how I want. My coworkers think I live in a not so hot area; I can tell from the look on their face. It's diverse, and what is wrong with that?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I like the location off Capitol too. Easy access to things IMO.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I disagree. I limited my search to areas near Capital, 440, and 540. I wanted access.

In the end, I paid less for my house than the average. So, I have money to make the little changes to make the house exactly how I want. My coworkers think I live in a not so hot area; I can tell from the look on their face. It's diverse, and what is wrong with that?
I live there too. It's fine.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 32,633 times
I live in the zipcod 27616. I find no negatives about where I live... I think it just depends on WHERE in the zipcode you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary