Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of moving and I'm looking at what cable and internet I should go with. I'm in North Raleigh, and for anyone that's recently looked at our options in the area, what is your feedback?

I'm looking at the usual suspects - Time Warner, Dish, AT&T, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Well, I just got a mailer from AT&T for unlimited local/long distance and Fast Access DSL for $60.00 month. I believe that was a permanent rate, not promo.

I've already signed up for 1 year of unlimited nationwide calling from Time Warner for $19.95/month. Because it was a new address it let me add cable internet for $34.95/month (also for one year). I'm hoping to keep Directv but it all depends on whether or not I can get a clear view of the satellite or not. They offered me a free upgrade to HD equipment but you had to extend your contract by 24 months - I didn't feel like doing that quite yet, so I passed.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
I'm moving and faced a similar decision. I went w/ TWC for cable + roadrunner w/ 2 HD boxes ($113/mo) and then Packet8 for VoIP phone ($199/yr pre-paid incl. all local, long distance, calling features, etc...). Already hooked up the Packet8 and couldn't be happier with the decision!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I'm moving and faced a similar decision. I went w/ TWC for cable + roadrunner w/ 2 HD boxes ($113/mo) and then Packet8 for VoIP phone ($199/yr pre-paid incl. all local, long distance, calling features, etc...). Already hooked up the Packet8 and couldn't be happier with the decision!
What is packet8. I have Vonage but that is higher cost than your Packet8. Looking to save $$ person would like to know. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
What is packet8. I have Vonage but that is higher cost than your Packet8. Looking to save $$ person would like to know. Thanks!
I was going to go w/ Vonage until I saw Packet8. Same concept, but lower cost since they offer the annual pre-pay deal. Our call quality has been quite good so far. There's another company out there called voip.com that has similar pricing to Packet8, however I've heard their customer service is terrible.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Thanks. I guess I should add that I'm not really interested in telephone as I use my cell for calls. I'm trying to figure out what'll be best for tv and internet. Who has the better cable package, etc. Renting equipment annoys me, but I figure that short of buying a digital converter box I'll have to rent one from the cable company.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I was going to go w/ Vonage until I saw Packet8. Same concept, but lower cost since they offer the annual pre-pay deal.
Vonage offers pre-pay also, $239.99 a year for unlimited VoIP.

Annual Pre-pay - Vonage VoIP Internet Phone Features: Vonage – A Better Way to Phone for Less

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Thanks. I guess I should add that I'm not really interested in telephone as I use my cell for calls. I'm trying to figure out what'll be best for tv and internet. Who has the better cable package, etc. Renting equipment annoys me, but I figure that short of buying a digital converter box I'll have to rent one from the cable company.
I think you'll probably just need to compare the offerings based on what's most important to you. I happen to think that Directv offers better picture quality compared to TWC's non-digital channels, but some people find the outtages during storms highly annoying. I think for sports packages, Directv wins hands down. Both will probably offer similar pricing to a new customer (or a new address), and the monthly cost will go up significantly when the promo period expires. For internet I think DSL is cheaper, but cable internet offers better download speeds - I'm a pretty heavy internet user, so I went with cable internet. I also had problems in the past with DSL over older phone lines - I lived in a 30-year old neighborhood back in Virginia, and DSL was really bad (lots of disconnects, which is bad for online gaming).

Anyhow, I think there is no one best answer - depends on what's important to you, and what promos are running now. I'll always go with Directv given a choice, but trees may block access at my new house, in which case I'll have to switch to TWC. And then I can be really sad over not getting Bravo!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
As far as cable-based providers, I don't think you have much of a selection unless you're willing to move from county to county. Most of the state's counties are limited to only one cable provider. Time-Warner and Charter seem to have the biggest piece of the cable pie in NC. About the only alternative is satellite-based TV and DSL Internet providers.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
TWC TV is quite reliable since they went fiber-optic in North Raleigh several years ago.

The HD DVR is a buggy piece of dookie and might be good to avoid. We returned ours and reverted to basic + standard, About $50/month - no box needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary