Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM

551 posts, read 2,284,429 times

Advertisements

Novant (based in Winston-Salem) announced today that they will be applying next month for the State's permission to build a small hospital in Holly Springs. What do y'all think about this? Does Wake County really need six hospitals?

Novant Health announces hospital for Wake County :: WRAL.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,068,100 times
I think it's cool. Eventually it will just get bought out by Duke or Wake Med anyway and become little a satellite hospital with an ER. It will bring jobs to the area and new medical practices and so on.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM

551 posts, read 2,284,429 times
I don't know about them getting bought out, Novant is huge - bigger than Duke or WakeMed. They already have hospitals in Winston (Forsyth), Charlotte (Presbyterian), Huntersville, Thomasville, and now have partial ownership of four other NC hospitals.

I guess I'm just frustrated with health care costs and I don't know if more competition is good or bad.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,697,896 times
Heck yeah it's needed - every time we go to Cary Wake we are in there for no less than 6 hours! Our only other option is Apex - so something closer in HS will be a blessing! I'm irritated that it will take 4 years to get it open LOL

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

579 posts, read 2,860,751 times
It is BADLY needed. There are no hospitals in southern Wake County at all! If you live in Fuquay for example, you must travel all the way to Cary or to Dunn which is 20 minutes either way. If you were really in a pickle (emergency trauma) you'd very well be DEAD by the time you got to either!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,697,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
It is BADLY needed. There are no hospitals in southern Wake County at all! If you live in Fuquay for example, you must travel all the way to Cary or to Dunn which is 20 minutes either way. If you were really in a pickle (emergency trauma) you'd very well be DEAD by the time you got to either!
Exactly - which is why I had to be induced when I had my youngest - I had 3 children prior in extremely fast time - (my DD I had in less than 3 minutes after the nurse had checked me and told me I had hours to go!). I live in Fuquay and if I had my water break I'd have to have my son wherever I was at the moment due to the 20-30 minute drive (providing traffic was reasonable and we hit the lights JUST right).

I look forward to having a hospital down this way in the part of Wake County so often overlooked because it's NOT Raleigh or Cary.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,150,251 times
Default yes

Actually the south wake area needs. Also remember when Wake med stop dealing with a major insurance company? Having a different hospital is needed aside from Wake med for this reason alone.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,864,760 times
It is a long process to get the Certificate of Need approved. Other hospital systems will submit their applications as well. Then, of course, the loser will contest the decision and delay the process. At the end of the day, a hospital is needed and will get done, but it will take a many years.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,982,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Exactly - which is why I had to be induced when I had my youngest - I had 3 children prior in extremely fast time - (my DD I had in less than 3 minutes after the nurse had checked me and told me I had hours to go!). I live in Fuquay and if I had my water break I'd have to have my son wherever I was at the moment due to the 20-30 minute drive (providing traffic was reasonable and we hit the lights JUST right).

I look forward to having a hospital down this way in the part of Wake County so often overlooked because it's NOT Raleigh or Cary.
Hey, I wish my labor was that quick! But, back on topic, I think it would be a great idea to have a hospital in HS.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,991,202 times
I am thrilled! After living someplace for 14 years that did not have a hospital locally, having the peace of mind that in an emergency something is 5 minutes away vs. 20-30 would be a blessing. Especially when it comes to my children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary