Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:31 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
I don't live in a condo complex and I paid under the assessed value for the home.

As a matter of fact, I am not sure if I have actually ever stated what neighborhood I live in. Maybe I have, but I believe I have only stated near the intersection of High House & Davis Drive, which is one heck of a location. Talk about nice!!!!!
My bad, I thought you mentioned you lived in Stone Creek Village. Maybe it was someone else that's been confused with you. In any case, that example still is pretty indicative of what to expect with new development - most everyone is seeing 10-20% higher tax bills this year compared to last. About 10% of the listings were lower. Still doesn't go to support your idea that anyone buying relatively new construction should see the same lucky results you got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 PM

551 posts, read 575,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
My bad, I thought you mentioned you lived in Stone Creek Village.
No, I don't think I mentioned where I lived. Anyhow, isn't Stone Creek Village a luxury townhome community, not condominiums? There is a big difference between the two.

As far as the tax savings after revaluation, I guess I will defer to the nascarfan person that someone mentioned earlier. What he said seemed to make sense and I know it was what happened in my case. I don't know how it worked out for everyone else. I will just pay my very tiny tax bill and be very happy with all that I have around me. Life is good and I just want to appreciate everything I am lucky enough to have.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I am not sure if I have actually ever stated what neighborhood I live in.
I can think of 2 incidences in recent weeks when you indicated that you live at Stone Creek Village. You may not remember it, but I do.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Quote:
I will just pay my very tiny tax bill and be very happy with all that I have around me. Life is good and I just want to appreciate everything I am lucky enough to have.
And that is good. But do acknowledge that the "mountaintop" chest pounding of a certain area does have a tendency to take on an element of "this is the promised land" and every place else is not worthy.

And that's what gets some dander floating about....

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 07-27-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM

551 posts, read 575,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
And that is good. But do acknowledge that the "mountain topping" of a certain area does have a tendency to take on an element of "this is the promised land" and every place else is not worthy.

And that's what gets some dander floating about....

I think it is paranoia on the part of others...............for the most part.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Running 80 year old people out of the homes they've lived in for over 50 years... thanks transplants, that's progess!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Write View Post
That is an incredibly ignorant statement. There are plenty of affordable housing options in all towns in the Triangle. More in some towns than others, but housing is inexpensive here. There are also plenty of expensive homes as well. For afforbale housing in all towns, there are apartments, condo's, townhomes and older ranch homes. The blanket statements thrown out around here with no facts to back them up is mind boggling. Sounds like sour grapes most of the time.
So you think that the elderly couple should have to move rather than live out their years in the house that they called home for 50+ years? How incredibly callous of you.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
So you think that the elderly couple should have to move rather than live out their years in the house that they called home for 50+ years? How incredibly callous of you.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
They have made a ton of money on their house since they bought it in a great area that now is very expensive. They can take some of that equity out and pay their taxes/do a reverse mortgage.

It's not like they didn't know this was coming. Not to mention all the years they paid well below what most everyone else was on their taxes.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
They have made a ton of money on their house since they bought it in a great area that now is very expensive. They can take some of that equity out and pay their taxes/do a reverse mortgage.

It's not like they didn't know this was coming. Not to mention all the years they paid well below what most everyone else was on their taxes.
They have made nothing until they sell the home.

They deserve to be allowed to keep their home as long as they are able to live in it.

Why should they be punished because paper profits have been generated?

Tax assessments should not rise until a transfer occurs.

I rent and have no horse in this race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary