Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hey, didn't this debate get beaten to death in another thread by you already?

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...yle-taxes.html

FWIW, I would love to hear the details of how your alternative tax plan would work. You know, the one where I only pay taxes on the value of my house when I sell it in fifteen years. I'm sure all the policemen, school teachers, and road and school repair projects can wait fifteen years before they get any money input from me. I mean, I should be able to enjoy all of the services for free until the day comes when I finally sell the house right? It's not like teachers actually need yearly salaries to exist now do they? I guess if I never sell and just live in my house until the day I die I get to cheat the system all together as I would never have to pay taxes under your "plan" since I would have never sold the house.

Oh, that's right ... I forgot. We could go with your tax free plan for exisitng residents and then just stick the tab with all the new transplants by making them cover all these annual expenses by paying impact fees. Basically you are anti-growth but you are proposing paying for everything through growth. Seems like a contradiction of logic to me.
Sorry I couldn't give you a rep point, need to spread it around. No one was really able to answer my question from before either. Why is it fair that I pay double the amount of taxes as one of my co-workers just because my house is worth 2 x's hers? We both have the same amount of land that the house sits on, yet she has 2 kids in school (I have none yet) and she using the same amount of water (if not more) and trash services I use. So I have to pay double just because I decided to live in a nicer area with a nicer house, even though she uses more services than me? How is that American?

ps - I don't mind my taxes I'm just throwing that out there for debate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Sorry I couldn't give you a rep point, need to spread it around. No one was really able to answer my question from before either. Why is it fair that I pay double the amount of taxes as one of my co-workers just because my house is worth 2 x's hers? We both have the same amount of land that the house sits on, yet she has 2 kids in school (I have none yet) and she using the same amount of water (if not more) and trash services I use. So I have to pay double just because I decided to live in a nicer area with a nicer house, even though she uses more services than me? How is that American?

It's your impact fee. Smile, pay it and shut up.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post

It's a stupidity tax for people who paid twice as much for a house than they had to.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Not taxing "paper" profits is the same as in stocks and bonds. No profit is taxed until it is realized.

If someone's house is assessed half of the next door because the first owner bought it many years ago, so be it. The buyer next door should be able to determine what their assessment would be. Then, they can decide whether or not to buy.

The long time owner had no way of knowing the "paper" profit that would occur, so should not be penalized for a gain they have not received because they mean to keep their home, not sell it.

It's wrong to steal someone's home because of the unfortunate reason that others are now paying more for comparables.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
If roads are the probelm raise the gas tax...if it's schools, charge the parents per student...

Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
If roads are the probelm raise the gas tax...if it's schools, charge the parents per student...
Right

Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
"if it's schools, charge the parents per student."

That seems like an excellent way to promote illiteracy. Reading is overrated anyways.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
I'd be happy to get rid of property taxes and replace them with income taxes... But then there'd be a hue and cry over the inevitable loss of local control (because income taxes would be tough to allocate on a local basis, and so the money would be coming from the state).

Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM

64 posts, read 196,864 times
Not a big fan of raising the gas tax for roads. Even if you carpool everyday to work, ride a bus to church, or use them as recreation (I see so many bike riders on the roads in my area) or depend on them to get your ambulance quickly to a hospital, YOU USE THE ROADS THE SAME AS A CAR OWNER.

How is that fair?

Also, I'm not buying into Saturnfan's argument that how long you live in a home dictates how much taxes you must pay. Sure does make it unfair to military people who are transferred around the country. Why put the burden on them to pay taxes in an area that they are not even going to be around long enough to appreciate?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debera109 View Post
Not a big fan of raising the gas tax for roads. Even if you carpool everyday to work, ride a bus to church, or use them as recreation (I see so many bike riders on the roads in my area) or depend on them to get your ambulance quickly to a hospital, YOU USE THE ROADS THE SAME AS A CAR OWNER.
Tell that to New York City residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary