Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,653,165 times

Advertisements

Apologies for the second post, but I'm afraid my first post was lost in the other thread ... Anyhow, I have a question about who to call for a snake problem.

One of my friends has a tenant who has reported copperhead snakes in the yard in North Raleigh and has requested that the landlord "take care of it." What's the best way to handle this? Are there companies or products that truly repel snakes? My friend is concerned with the safety of his tenants as well as any potential liability.

Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
They have snake pellets but it just the same as moth balls but more grandular in form .
They both have sulfur and same smell. Moth Balls are cheaper

The best way to lessen the amount of snakes is make it harder for them to hide such as maintaining the yard or anywhere that has alot of weeds.
I am assuming this apartment complex has a retaining pond and most I have seen the grass around them is not maintain and this would need to be changed.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 PM

115 posts, read 394,553 times
A shovel. Remember, they can still strike and inject venom after they're dead (even if the head is removed).

Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM

336 posts, read 1,134,026 times
How can a snake with no head strike?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,634,666 times
Triangle Wildlife Removal Pest Control Bee Removal Raleigh Cary Wake Durham Johnston Orange Chatam County (http://www.trianglewildliferemoval.com/wildlife-removal.html - broken link)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,796,529 times
You could always call the Sheriff's Dept and ask for Animal Control, ...

Old 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,618,097 times
Default Snake in my nest!

We have a jasmine right up against the screen on our screened porch, next to the door. In that thick bush is a small bird's nest, where a family of mockingbirds lived this spring.

The other morning, I went to let the dogs out and up against the screen was this small snake, maybe 2' long, with a speckled white underside.

It may have crawled up there to see if there's breakfast in it. For the next 2-3 days we didn't see it, but now I see it IN the nest! It seems to have decided to take up residence, and it is all a bit too close for comfort for me.

Tried to look it up on the net and it appears to be a rat snake. We went to the Museum of Science to check out NC snakes, and it does, indeed seem that it's a rat snake. Yes, I know it's not venomous. I know they're very common around homes. They like neighborhoods. (We've been dealing with mice coming in from the woods and fields; we're setting live traps and letting them go farther from the house, and I know that these snakes love mice. They also like birds' eggs, and maybe even birds). And, even though they're not venomous, if cornered (or stepped on)I think they would bite. Like I said, it's too close to the door and the steps. I worry most about my dogs getting bitten because they're liable to poke it if they find it on the ground; and if the door gets blown open by the wind (while we're in the yard), the snake might decide to go on the porch.

I don't want to kill it. I just want it to go away. How can I discourage it from perching practically on my doorstep? If he moves from the nest, and I get rid of the nest, will he go away? Or will that just make him burrow in somewhere else close by and I won't know he's there.

Here are two shots - one of the jasmine so you see the setting, and one of the snake in the nest. The nest is about midway up in the bush, at the level of the porch railing. Any and all suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Who to call for snake problem?-snake3a.jpg   Who to call for snake problem?-jasmine.jpg  

Last edited by swbtoo; 08-13-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: bold for emphasis

Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,676,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post
How can a snake with no head strike?
I was thinking the same thing, and how about the injecting venom part

Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We have a jasmine right up against the screen on our screened porch, next to the door. In that thick bush is a small bird's nest, where a family of mockingbirds lived this spring.

The other morning, I went to let the dogs out and up against the screen was this small snake, maybe 2' long, with a speckled white underside.

It may have crawled up there to see if there's breakfast in it. For the next 2-3 days we didn't see it, but now I see it IN the nest! It seems to have decided to take up residence, and it is all a bit too close for comfort for me.

Tried to look it up on the net and it appears to be a rat snake. We went to the Museum of Science to check out NC snakes, and it does, indeed seem that it's a rat snake. Yes, I know it's not venomous. I know they're very common around homes. They like neighborhoods. (We've been dealing with mice coming in from the woods and fields; we're setting live traps and letting them go farther from the house, and I know that these snakes love mice. They also like birds' eggs, and maybe even birds). And, even though they're not venomous, if cornered (or stepped on)I think they would bite. Like I said, it's too close to the door and the steps. I worry most about my dogs getting bitten because they're liable to poke it if they find it on the ground; and if the door gets blown open by the wind (while we're in the yard), the snake might decide to go on the porch.

I don't want to kill it. I just want it to go away. How can I discourage it from perching practically on my doorstep? If he moves from the nest, and I get rid of the nest, will he go away? Or will that just make him burrow in somewhere else close by and I won't know he's there.

Here are two shots - one of the jasmine so you see the setting, and one of the snake in the nest. The nest is about midway up in the bush, at the level of the porch railing. Any and all suggestions welcome!
Move the nest and you move the source the snake is using for food therefore it will go somewhere else.
Keep your yard trimmed and use moth balls when needed around the home and if the nest has hatchings in it move the nest with rubber gloves to prevent the human scent on it and germs.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,618,097 times
SunnyKayak, the nest is empty, except when the snake curls up in it. It has been empty since about June, when the last set of hatchlings left the nest.

My thought was to remove the nest when the snake leaves it, and it won't have any place to come back to -- except that it might settle somewhere else nearby and I won't know where.

Moth balls? Is that a snake repellent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary