Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 AM

86 posts, read 277,675 times

Advertisements

Hello all~~

You all know your stores, and I need shopping advice, please!

Before we are able to move from out of state to our new home in Chapel Hill in September, and while I am in town for the day next week, I will need to buy an outdoor table and chairs set.

I have something quite specific in mind: table is hefty, built to last, green or black steel-frame round with glass (could be tile) tabletop at least 5 feet in diameter, with four chairs, also metal with comfortable curved, not flat, seats, with all-weather seats/cushions. I would like for the chairs to be generously large with arms and be the sort that large older folks could comfortably sit in for hours, not the straight-backed things one might associate with a dining table. Think of many enjoyable hours under the shade of a tree, talking, knitting, playing cards, eating summer meals. Table would be located in area where an umbrella would NOT be practical, but I could live with a table with a hole in it.

I would be very grateful for your suggestions. Right now I would only be guessing at going to a Walmart or a Target, but I think I am looking for something higher-quality. You probably know of just the right local outdoor furniture store, although if one of your chain stores does have a top-knotch set, please tell me. I am looking for something that will last 20+ years and be able to stay outside year round.

Very gratefully I am thanking you in advance.

Lana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
This place probably has what you are looking for: Summer Classics

They are located in Raleigh at the intersection of Lynn and Six Forks.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Beware of Martha Stewart class tops. The glass explodes without warning.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,707 times
We found something like that at Home Depot. Ours is black steel, but they also had glass/tile. I do prefer the full steel, because we were at a friend's house once when their glass one exploded; scary! They had a very large selection at the beginning of the season, not sure about now. But I do see the prices are quite low this time of year.

The Home Depot closest to Chapel Hill is on Southwest Durham Drive, off 15-501 near I-40.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:24 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,023 times
If you interested in a product that will truly last 20 years -- take a look at Woodard (wrought iron, aluminum and cast). This is stuff that will be passed down through the generations. We have a Woodard set that has lasted more than 30 years and has sat outdoors through 20+ Minnesota winters and summers.

The only local dealer I know of is The Fire House Casual Living Store at 5301 Capital Blvd Raleigh 919-235-0002. They have many, many more lines.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:36 AM

299 posts, read 635,219 times
Ethan Allen has a beautiful set that we had outside for 3 years before we sold our house. It had minimal covers on it for 4 months of the year and the cushions were taken inside when not in use for extended periods of time. It held up beautifully and still looked like new when we sold it with the house. Since you're looking for something to last twenty years, I'd start there and I'd also consider checking Frontgate. Good luck and enjoy your new home!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,691 times
Again, I have to say try furniture row - Glenwood Ave/Rte 70. Besides the normal "indoor" furniture places, there are a few outdoor ones, too. Start at Brier Creek and work your way towards Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary