Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 04:49 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Why?????? *head explodes*

Get me the hell back to NYC.
Why? Stopping bus service won't prevent most customers from getting to the mall. Stopping bus service will prevent many teens from getting to the mall. This isn't hard to understand.

SaturnFan says that there are additional facts to the case, and I'll trust him on that, but in general stopping bus service isn't a bad thing if you're a property owner or tenant at Crabtree mall.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. I believe we need affordable housing, but do not see any plans for any in Cary. All I see is one more expensive neighbrohood after the other, driving the affordable housing away. That, to me, seems to be their plan. One of the reasons why I choose to live in Durham.
Cary has an entire "affordable Housing initiative". Besides that, there IS already plenty affordable housing here, including section 8 and housing for the working homeless. I happen to live around the corner from it. Affordable Housing Initiative (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/P&Z/affordablehousing/overview.htm - broken link)

Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
It's not fair to decent bus riders,

Remember, there are poor people and poor excuses for people. This came from a sergeant in my late mother's area of Alphabet City, NYC (620 E 13 St between Avenues C & D),

Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
UPDATE:

Mall officials said among the options under review is a curfew for teenagers. Northgate Mall in Durham already has such a policy and security officials said it has been effective.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:00 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
You're right, it isn't fair. A lot of things in life aren't fair. It isn't fair to the business and property owners either.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
UPDATE:

Mall officials said among the options under review is a curfew for teenagers. Northgate Mall in Durham already has such a policy and security officials said it has been effective.
Yes, we have heard them announce that unaccompanied teens 16 and under have to leave at 7pm, and from what I saw, they did skedaddle then.

Northgate also has visible security, and people have said that makes them feel uncomfortable. I like security, visible security, in any public place. It just seems silly to stick your head in the sand. Remember that even if you are living in a gated community, there is no guarantee that the residents within the gates won't commit a violent or other crime.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
You're right, it isn't fair. A lot of things in life aren't fair. It isn't fair to the business and property owners either.
Again, why are we focusing on the bus route? Why are we NOT focusing on mall security, or lack thereof, and/or police presence that should have stopped this mess before it got so out of hand? Why are some people so determined to punish working class joes and janes who choose to utilize the public transportation provided by the city?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:12 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusFruit View Post
You know, I wish I could say I was shocked by some of the attitudes being displayed on this thread...but I'm not. I've said it before and have been decried a someone who didn't know what I was talking about, but this appalling attitude is one of the major reasons I moved away from the Raleigh area. I cannot BELIEVE some of you people are blaming this, basically, on a freakin' busline. ALL walks of people use public transportation. I've shared a bus seat or two with some -very- nice individuals, just in the last few days. MOST of the people using public transportation are just your regular hardworking joes and janes. The people involved in this brawl would have gotten to the mall, bus or no. I don't understand WHY or WHERE this elitist attitude from some of you is coming from. And to think that some of you are basically saying to eliminate affordable housing in the area so you can remove "undesirables", nevermind the fact you will be affecting a lot of those same hardworking joes and janes again....I'm just shaking my head.

You all should be focusing your anger on security in and around the mall. Why was security so lax the brawl was allowed to escalate to the point it did? Why aren't certain areas focusing on gang-activity and prevention, rather than trying to bury their heads in the sand? These are some of the things you should be angry at, not the people themselves. Do I think they hold no blame? Absolutely not. But I don't think the rest of the hardworking people, basically your working poor, your lower middleclass, and yes, even people on assistance, should suffer for the actions of some punks.

As for the elitism, bigotry, and racism? Well, that's something some of you -really- need to take a deep down look at and address within yourselves.
One of the main reasons you left Raleigh was because of the prevailing racist attitude? So you moved to Texas?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:18 PM

190 posts, read 574,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffman View Post
One of the main reasons you left Raleigh was because of the prevailing racist attitude? So you moved to Texas?
I moved to Houston. There IS a difference and it's like night and day. I'm not denying there's racism out in the more "country" areas, but thankfully it doesn't tend to rear its ugly head where I am now. I've yet to encounter ANYTHING within the city of Houston like I have in and around the Raleigh area. Heck, I work right on the "border" of one of the richest areas of Houston, and I've YET to encounter such attitudes of racism, classism, elitism, etc. as I've seen displayed on this forum and from living/working in and around Raleigh.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:23 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
Please don't read too much into my last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary