Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

134 posts, read 606,971 times

Advertisements

Okay, we need more advice. We are new to the area and I've heard that NC is big on furniture (per one of the other threads as well). I admit, I'm confused. We need bedroom furniture and I've heard about some town named Hickory? I think? And another that starts with an H? (far off I think). So where is a great place to buy good quality furniture and truly feel you aren't getting ripped off. If it's all the same, then we'll just go to Macy's or somewhere (Haverty's even??) and look but if there is truly places to go where you feel it's worth it, please by all means let me know. We don't know where anything is around here so things like "high point" or whatever mean nothing to us. We'd prefer some places local but if it's worth the drive, then okay, we may sacrifice it. Granted, won't be happy if we drive 1 to 2 hours and see CRAP! So, please, can anyone out there help us out? Once again, thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Furnitureland South is a great place to start. It's in High Point, but i'm sure you can google the name and get an address. Just be prepared to devote an entire afternoon with LOTS of walking! The place is RIDICULOUSLY huge. The prices are also pretty darn good. Be sure to check out their clearance store (yes, they're so big the clearance section is another entire store).

Mike

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Okay, let me ask this. How much are all of you expecting to pay for a bedroom set? From what little I've seen on Furnitureland South's website, umm, that seems pricey to me. Okay, maybe I'm not seeing things right.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Well, furniture costs can vary greatly. You can get furniture darn near everywhere these days, ranging from MDF/particle board stuff at Wal-Mart and Target to stuff that costs more than a new car.

So the better question may be, what do you want to spend? From the limited research I did when buying living room furniture, I generally found your less expensive places to be: Big Lots, IKEA, Rooms to Go, Ashley Furniture, etc. From there, you take a bit of a leap into stores like Furnitureland South, Haverty's, and a good number of other ones. Past that, you can get into stores like Basset, Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn (*shiver), etc.

Now, a quick word on Furnitureland's prices. When I shopped there, I was told flat out that the prices you see in no way reflect what you will actually pay. I was told to assume anywhere from 30-60% off that price just to get in the ballpark. I had them price out about a dozen couches, and they weren't lying. This would make you think there's negotiating room, but apparently there isn't. They just don't like (or aren't allowed, or whatever) to post the actual price you will pay. Maybe it's just a big ploy to make you think you're gonna get a great deal. Who knows? The big thing is just to know the prices you see online won't be what you pay. If nothing else than to give you an idea of what you want, I would go and check it out. They carry such a huge selection that you're bound to find something you like. They'll even help you target your search to certain brands that will likely be in your price point. In all, I found them to be a great place to shop. I just ended up buying my stuff elsewhere (Basset) because I liked the option of being able to custom order exactly what I wanted in a couch. It cost a ton, but I got a really nice couch made to my exact wants that will (hopefully) stand up well to my 'robust' frame.

Mike

PS - One other option: Costco. They get some GREAT deals on nice furniture. It's just really limited selection, but the turnover is pretty quick so new stuff is constantly hitting the floor.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

Okay, that's helpful. I had no idea that High Point was a city!! We don't want to go as low as IKEA, Target, etc. but definately won't go Potterybarn kind of high either. Okay Mike, perhaps we'll do it!! Thank you.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM

no prob!

and, FWIW, if you haven't checked out Target and the like for furniture lately, you may be pleasantly surprised. while i would not trust their stuff for anything that needs to be structurally sound (like stuff i plop my big butt on, lol), it's a far cry from the stuff they used to carry. we bought end tables, nightstands, and matching bookshelves from Target for a fraction of what they would have cost at a furniture store, and I can honestly say you would never know it to look at them.

still, for your bed frame and dressers, you're probably better off with something a little more 'higher-end'.

Mike

Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
Hickory is a great place to go for a huge selection. FWIW, I've shopped FLS and found them to be expensive in comparison with other discount stores I've seen. Try Boyles.com, go to the website and then you can go through the manufacturers they carry. I've saved $400 and more on a single piece in comparison with other so called discount manufacturers and the item itself was only $700 total. Hickory carries a large selection from low end to extremely high end. It's less than 3 hours but worth the trip. PM me if you want further info.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I've been looking at furniture lately, re doing some rooms in my house.

I started at Pottery Barn...loved a panel bed that I saw there but could not for the life of me understand WHY the darn thing was $1800! Hubby 'bout fainted.

So I decided that I'd try to find something that looked like PB!

Went to Basset and was shocked at the high prices. Also need a new sofa. I don't remember ever paying $2600 for a sofa.

Went to Home Comfort. I found a sofa that I really like for under $1,000. I found a bed, similar to PB...$900.

Went to Haverty's. Their prices were very similar to Home Comfort.

According to hubby...if you find furniture made in the US, you are going to pay higher prices. Since so much is now from Indonesia and China, etc., the prices are VERY LOW. I'd love to buy US but it is hard to justify.

Anyone else finding this?

Vicki

Old 07-30-2008, 03:35 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Quality is worth the price. Cheap never last. Thank goodness my great great grandparents bought quality furniture. I would rather do without than to buy cheap crap. I refuse to buy any mass produced crap from franchise furniture stores.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I mentioned this in a previous thread....there is a place in Cary on High House Just past Old Apex Rd called "Damaged Freight". It is in the plaza where Time Warner Cable is. We happened upon it when going to the cable store. I wasn't even going to go in as it looked like a junk place from the outside but they have some really decent quailty furniture at low prices. We found a beautiful solid wood bedroom set that retails for over 10K (we checked it out online first) that cost us $2400. The store carries furniture from Hooker, Klaussner, Bassett, Broyhill as well as Thomasville etc. It is a hit or miss type of place. They also had a large variety of sofas, tables, armoires, dinettes etc. It is definitely worth checking out, especially if you don't want to pay 10-20K for a bedroom set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary