Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,776 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we've been obsessing with our move, and have made some pretty big decisions about what we want and don't want. While we LOVED the look of some of the areas of N. Raleigh (and the homes are very reasonably priced), we realized we don't want to live, or even feel like we live "away" from things. Many of the areas in N. Raleigh are older and more established and gorgeous, but have way too much yard, particularly between homes. Some people like feeling away, and we don't...we want to be in the mix of things.

That said, we don't want to be in the middle of a big city either (Raleigh, Durham). We just want to live in a neighborhood (burbs are fine), walk outside and see neighbors all over the place with chilren riding bikes on sidewalks or bike paths. We want easy access to stores and nice restaurants, but I suppose that's pretty easy to find for the most part. In short, we want a very active neighborhood.

We know there are some areas of Cary (such as Carpenter Village) that appear to have the style that we like, we still like Chapel Hill and Carrboro. We don't want Apex or Holly Springs because they're too far from Durham, Raleigh and everything in between. We don't care about the size of the yard so long as the kids have enough space to run around.

Any other areas we should consider? We like ITB, but it seems to be pretty pricey (we want to stay between 300-400K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I think the areas you are focusing on now are probably a good fit based on what you described!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Ok, so we've been obsessing with our move, and have made some pretty big decisions about what we want and don't want. While we LOVED the look of some of the areas of N. Raleigh (and the homes are very reasonably priced), we realized we don't want to live, or even feel like we live "away" from things. Many of the areas in N. Raleigh are older and more established and gorgeous, but have way too much yard, particularly between homes. Some people like feeling away, and we don't...we want to be in the mix of things.

That said, we don't want to be in the middle of a big city either (Raleigh, Durham). We just want to live in a neighborhood (burbs are fine), walk outside and see neighbors all over the place with chilren riding bikes on sidewalks or bike paths. We want easy access to stores and nice restaurants, but I suppose that's pretty easy to find for the most part. In short, we want a very active neighborhood.

We know there are some areas of Cary (such as Carpenter Village) that appear to have the style that we like, we still like Chapel Hill and Carrboro. We don't want Apex or Holly Springs because they're too far from Durham, Raleigh and everything in between. We don't care about the size of the yard so long as the kids have enough space to run around.

Any other areas we should consider? We like ITB, but it seems to be pretty pricey (we want to stay between 300-400K).
Meredith Woods, Oak Park, Laurel Hills, and many other neighborhoods outside the Beltline, and along Blue Ridge Rd, Duraleigh Road, and maybe in Bridgeton Park if anything is available...
From the Beltline to Ebenezer Church Road, bound by Glenwood Ave. on the North, and Trinity on the South there are many fine locations that aren't discussed enough.
Price should work, if you find the area suitable.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
What parts of North Raleigh have you been looking into? If you like Carpenter Village I would think you might like Falls River and Bedford in North Raleigh. I don't think they are "out there" lots of shopping and dining options nearby. Close to I-540, 20-25 minutes to downtown Raleigh. Can't speak to the commute to RTP since I rarely do it during rush hour times. The only thing I have't factored in is commute becasue you didn't mention anything about how close to work you want to be.

Pictures of These Areas (courtesy of Mike J & Gastric)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...arlestons.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-raleigh.html

Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What parts of North Raleigh have you been looking into? If you like Carpenter Village I would think you might like Falls River and Bedford in North Raleigh. I don't think they are "out there" lots of shopping and dining options nearby. Close to I-540, 20-25 minutes to downtown Raleigh. Can't speak to the commute to RTP since I rarely do it during rush hour times. The only thing I have't factored in is commute becasue you didn't mention anything about how close to work you want to be.

Pictures of These Areas (courtesy of Mike J & Gastric)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...arlestons.html

North_Raleigh_Guy thank you, thank you, thank you. You picked out some areas that look right up our alley, beginning with Bedford at Falls River -- I LOVE the look of this area! I will show to hubby tonight -- I appreciate you gathering these pics for me and thanks to those (including yourself) who go out and take the gorgeous pictures for us to get a better idea of the areas!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
If you like Falls River and Bedford in North Raleigh, you'll like Heritage in Wake Forest.

GREAT desirable neighborhoods!

Vicki

Old 07-30-2008, 03:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you like Falls River and Bedford in North Raleigh, you'll like Heritage in Wake Forest.

GREAT desirable neighborhoods!

Vicki
Photos courtesy of Grizzmeister
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ke-forest.html

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Heritage is a great call, though we ultimately decided against it because Wake Forest is pretty far out from the center of the triangle (and I work in RTP)

Plug for Brightleaf at the Park (and seeing these photos tells me I need to take some new ones as the pictures of the "future" Brightleaf club would now show 2 pools, a waterslide, and tennis courts along with a clubhouse!)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ry-2008-a.html

Old 07-30-2008, 08:02 PM

32 posts, read 93,035 times
What about the Briar Creek and North Hills areas? I have friends who rent and own in Briar Creek and walk from their homes to the shopping areas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary