Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,383,940 times

Advertisements

Hello all,I will be relocating from Arizona shortly,and was wondering if anyone lived in those small custom communities,usually 30-50 homes on the outskirts of wake forest,and in youngsville.We now live in a sub. where we can literally hear our neighbor snorring were so close,so this time I'm looking for privacy without cutting myself off from civilization.Were looking into,Merriweather,Woodcroft,Traylee,Fieldstone West,Stony Bend in western WF,and Devonshire also by the lake.Are these isolated,are there kids around for my son.What is it like? A million thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
I've sold homes in Crescent Ridge and Stony Bend and my clients are thrilled with their neighborhoods and their neighbors! Vicki

Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,533,574 times
I tried my best to convince my wife that we should buy a house in Devonshire, but she wouldn't take the bait.

Since there were only a small number of occupied homes so far, she didn't think that there would be enough children for our son to play with. She also didn't like the fact that she would have to drive 10 miles to "get to civilization", as she called it. There are no grocery stores, restaurants, daycares, shopping (Home Depot, Target, etc) up there and you'd have to drive to either Wake Forest or Raleigh (below 540). Since that area is in a protected watershed, no future development is expected either.

I, on the other hand, liked that there was no traffic, it was quiet and away from the airport, within 30 minutes of RTP, and within walking distance to Falls Lake.

We also looked at Crescent Ridge. There were more homes and probably more kids, but the "10 miles to civilization" problem still existed. Also, the houses were more expensive than we wanted to spend.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM

494 posts, read 1,383,940 times
Where we are now it's 5miles to the nearest grocery store and about 10-12 miles to a home depot and target,so I guess it's about the same.Were in a "master Planned" community now and I have to say although there are many kids living here ,nobody comes outdoors.We thought there would be other moms&dads walking,and chatting,but it's not like that.Our sons activities and play dates are all outside of our subdivision anyway.Such a dilemma.lol.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,387,942 times
Another type of "Small custom subdivision" includes some infill projects. Like a few blocks from me, a developer bought out several lots, put in a cul-de-sac into it (which is pretty rare this close to downtown), and split it up into a mini-subdivision with about 10 houses.
They are rather close together (although not much more than you'd expect to see in downtown), but in a way they have more privacy from the main road than most of the nearby homes which just sit on the main route.
Of course there's one nearby that looks somewhat funny cuz I think they tried to fit suburban McMansion-like houses on lots sized for urban bungalows, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Hello all,I will be relocating from Arizona shortly,and was wondering if anyone lived in those small custom communities,usually 30-50 homes on the outskirts of wake forest,and in youngsville.We now live in a sub. where we can literally hear our neighbor snorring were so close,so this time I'm looking for privacy without cutting myself off from civilization.Were looking into,Merriweather,Woodcroft,Traylee,Fieldstone West,Stony Bend in western WF,and Devonshire also by the lake.Are these isolated,are there kids around for my son.What is it like? A million thanks!
We live in one of those such subdivisions....covington ridge, on the west side of wake forest. We have 38 homes in our neighborhood, no pool, community water, septic. My husband drives to RTP (miami blvd) specifically each morning and does it in 30 minutes. From where we are (just about 1.2 miles from stony bend, if that) it takes about 20 minutes to get to brier creek. We moved to this house in May 05, and really have grown to love wake forest (we moved from apex).

I have two little ones (3 and almost 5) and we have some neighbors with kids that young, others with older kids and others retired. We have met a lot of our friends through preschool in the area. As far as elementary school, my daughter will attend north forest pines, which is year round. It seems most of the developments on purnell have been switched to north forest pines.

I could go on and on, so please PM if you have more questions.

Leigh

Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM

60 posts, read 287,366 times
We live in a small custom subdivision, Oakcroft. It is in N Raleigh. Lots are about .25 to .30. There will be 64 homes when complete. They are working the last few.
The are tons of kids. Ranging from newborn to High School (built in babysitters).
We have been there almost a year, we love it. Neighbors are real friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary