U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 PM

106 posts, read 469,148 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I've received two quotes for a local move coming in at 110-130/hr with a $110-130 flat travel fee. One company estimated 4 hours (with 3 people @ 130/hr) one estimated 5 1/2 hours (with 2 people @ 110/hr). We are moving from a 2 bedroom apartment to a house in Holly Springs (about 25 minutes away).

This is my first home and first "real" move Are these quotes reasonable?

Thanks for all of your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 PM

347 posts, read 878,018 times
i used excel movers from cary to f-v
i got a quote of 135 for 5 people and one hour for travel.
that was in jan so it may be off season

Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 25,124,212 times
Try Two Men and A Truck.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 AM

4,387 posts, read 10,604,141 times
I got a fixed price quote from Movin' on Movers in Apex for my upcoming move so I'm not sure about hourly rates. The quotes you got are pretty different though - you might consider getting a 3rd and see where it falls. I will say I don't think I've ever just had two people moving me - it's usually at least 3.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Try Two Men and A Truck.
Thanks...one of these quotes is from them. Did you expect it to be less? The quotes are from Two men and All My Sons.

Regarding the flat price to move, I was under the impression (from my own research) that any move under 35 miles was to be hourly and any move over 35 miles was to be weighed.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 AM

4,387 posts, read 10,604,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersGirl36 View Post
Thanks...one of these quotes is from them. Did you expect it to be less? The quotes are from Two men and All My Sons.

Regarding the flat price to move, I was under the impression (from my own research) that any move under 35 miles was to be hourly and any move over 35 miles was to be weighed.
Well, my move is less than 10 miles and I got a flat quote. The estimator came out and filled out a checklist with everything I'm having moved (mostly furniture and appliances) and based the quote off that. The only time I moved more than 35 miles (from DC to NC), that was based on weight. That may have to do more with intrastate vs. interstate than distance (or maybe a combination of both). You could check the site Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams for more info on moving regulations.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,544,429 times
When I had my all my stuff from my first floor moved into my garage to have my floors done I paid about $125/hr for 2-3 men with a two hour minimum. I don't think the rates you are getting quoted sound outrageous. My experience is that movers move fast, and I've never seem them slow down just because they are hourly.

If you want to get a third quote, I've heard a lot of good things about Trosa.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
When I had my all my stuff from my first floor moved into my garage to have my floors done I paid about $125/hr for 2-3 men with a two hour minimum. I don't think the rates you are getting quoted sound outrageous. My experience is that movers move fast, and I've never seem them slow down just because they are hourly.

If you want to get a third quote, I've heard a lot of good things about Trosa.
Thanks! Good to know!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:13 AM

832 posts, read 2,411,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersGirl36 View Post
Hi!
I've received two quotes for a local move coming in at 110-130/hr with a $110-130 flat travel fee. One company estimated 4 hours (with 3 people @ 130/hr) one estimated 5 1/2 hours (with 2 people @ 110/hr). We are moving from a 2 bedroom apartment to a house in Holly Springs (about 25 minutes away).

This is my first home and first "real" move Are these quotes reasonable?

Thanks for all of your help!
Try https://www.movinghelp.com/Default.aspx which I am sure should be much cheaper that what you are quoting. In addition, there are other moving related services that they can perform for you. I hope that this helps because I used them for unloading when I moved here from New York.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM

134 posts, read 571,708 times
We're going to be moving soon as well with about the same distance. We are going to slowly move boxes over in our cars with each trip we make and save the u-haul (an potentially hiring outside help) or movers, for the larger/heavier items (we have a month overlap from time of closing to end of lease). Good luck and congrats on the house! I'll keep an eye on this post for suggestions/input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary