Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times

Advertisements

Just a thought, but Preston is close enough to the Cary YMCA to make that another option instead of joining the CC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:43 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Just a thought, but Preston is close enough to the Cary YMCA to make that another option instead of joining the CC.
The YMCA pool is wall to wall bodies on the weekend in the Summer (although it is an amazing facility and one of the nicest YMCAs I've ever seen). A neighborhood pool for us was a deal breaker.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
There are several homes in that range. Heck, there is one that is $1.4M. A lot of these larger neighborhoods have different sections at different price points, sometimes with different builders. The custom homes in Cary Park were very nice and started in the $400s when I was in the market (and most were 500K and up).
Just my opinion. If I'm spending that much, I prefer most of the houses to be in that range. The median price of homes of the market in Cary Park is just north of $300k.

Last edited by sls76; 08-01-2008 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Be sure to pay attention to the fact that 540 is expanding to the Southwest and some premier West Cary neighborhoods will be affected. Look carefully at lot location relative to the proposed corridor-don't make a $500 to $700k mistake.

A couple of neighborhoods that have not been mentioned yet-
Peninsula at Amberly (Chatham Co. Schools)
Weycroft
Cameron Pond
Hilliard Forest (new)
Toll Brothers Neighborhood on Green Level Church (can't remember the name)

Old 08-01-2008, 07:33 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Understood about the CC, but the slim W Cary selection of quality homes on large lots in the $500,000-$700,000 means that one must just about consider Preston neighborhoods.

Very True, just some people (like me) when I first started looking in West Cary, had no idea that I had no choice but to pay a additional 16,000 membership fee plus 145.00 a month dues, plus HOA fees to get to use the pool if I moved to a Preston Neighborhood. But I agree it is something to put in the mix of possibilities.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
I agree with the suggestion of Cameron Pond. Although 540 will run to the west of the neighborhood and it will most likely be redistricted to Alston Ridge when it opens next year.

Highcroft is a great suggestion, but you'll be in the upper end of the price range to get a yard. And again, 540 will run along the western edge.

The Reserve is a nice neighborhood, along with Carpenter Village. Preston is a good suggestion, with Preston Village having slightly larger lots. But again, you must join the club to get the pool.

Cary Park is a good bet to not get redistricted for elementary school, since they just got Mills Park last year. The new middle school will open in a few years though. And I agree that you won't be in the upper range. There are quite a few houses in the $500-$700 range.

Weycroft is a great suggestion, but no trees and you have to use Cameron Pond's pool.

I really don't think you'll have a problem finding a house in your range once you get down here and start looking.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Just a note regarding choices:

The OP's stress on quality materials had me looking more at custom build homes rather than tract-built housing, i.e., exclusive builders in one community.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM

184 posts, read 801,860 times
Horton's Creek might be worth a look too...

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 PM

187 posts, read 803,249 times
The Estates at Weldon Ridge have .40 -.50 acre lots and are in your price range. It is an Orleans Homes development with pool, tot lot, walking trails and clubhouse. Copperleaf down the street from Weldon Ridge has local builders, good quality and a pool. I think they will have a clubhouse also. Either way, it's a beautiful area of West Cary and they are far enough out of range from the proposed 540.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 30,236 times
Default Looking for info from Cary/Raleigh residents

Hi:
You mention West Carey, is West Cary considered a more desirable area to live...looking for quality and pool/clubhouse/etc, 1/4 acre lot, etc but not big..we are about to sell a house already too big for our small family. I am sure our realtor will help us narrow our search but you seem knowledgable. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary