Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM

191 posts, read 235,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As if minimum wage=living wage? It doesn't.....
Whether the minimum wage is a living wage is none of my business. I don't have a problem with tipping and buying lunch but anything that I give movers is pure largesse on my part and shouldn't be an expected part of their wages.

Heck, if we're expected to tip movers (we aren't), then why not the lawn crew? The mail lady? UPS man?

I work in a service industry. My employer bills my time at $150/hr. I'm paid well but my employer receives the lion's share of that amount. Why don't my clients tip me?

edit: Come to think of it, movers probably make more money than the lawn crew. The reason that some people tip movers and not the lawn crew can be summed up in one word, extortion.

Last edited by Nacht; 04-27-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've never heard of tipping movers until I read this thread. I've never even given them food or drinks.
Wow. Did you let them use the bathroom, or were they expected to go outside?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Not on the lawn! It might turn it brown! Send them down the road to the nearest gas station of course....but make sure you dock their pay for the time it took!!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Not tipping movers would mean the corporate HQ would raise their salary? How do you figure? These are hard working people who are barely making enough to squeak by. They are putting in a tough day's work over and over and coming out with what? A bad back and minimum wage? How on earth would not tipping them force the hand of HQ? It would not affect HQ at all. There are always people willing to work darned hard for a poor wage. Minimum wage. Less than minimum wage. That is a full labor pool. They are the only ones getting hurt with your scenario.

And, of course, most people (thankfully) are not that cheap, so everyone will not stop tipping them.

BTW, extortion? Wow. SO...because some people are kind enough to tip, that is now extortion? And, for the record, I tip a lot of people. So do a lot of other people. I tip our regular UPS and Fed Ex carrier every holiday. I have tried to tip the mail carrier, but they are not allowed to take it, and he won't, so I bake him cookies instead. I also tip the waste management guys at x-mas. And if I had a lawn crew, I'd probably tip them once a year too! If I were barely squeaking by myself, I'd make them all cookies. But since I can afford to, I do. Anyone who is willing to work for minimum wage, or close to it, has a lot of pride. There are plenty of people in this country who choose not to work for minimum wage--they'd rather go on welfare. I commend any/all who work so hard for so little and I will take a bit out of my pockets to help. I'd pay extra for them any day. It's the healthy, young people on welfare who WON"T take those jobs who I don't want to pay for.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Wow....aren't you just nice. Treat employees with respect and they will go the extra mile for you. Serving them lunch has paid off with every move I've done.
I stand corrected. . . . . . my wife informs me that I did tip the movers. . . . but we didn't feed them. Since I have no recollection of even tipping them, I don't remember how much I tipped.

Here's a question: Would you tip if the movers asked you to come get them and lead them to your house?

I gave the moving company my address, directions to my apartment, and a photo copy of a map of the apartment complex showing the location of the apartment. The driver called me the night before and asked for directions from his hotel, which was only 15 miles away. I gave him directions, which were very simple. The next morning at 7:30am I got a phone call from the hotel desk clerk asking me for directions to my apartment. The driver was asking again via the hotel clerk. I again gave the directions. Ten minutes later I got a call back from the same hotel clerk. The driver was now asking me to drive to Durham, meet him at the hotel, and lead him back to my apartment. I did it.

Does that deserve a tip?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
I told them that they had to hold it.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM

In my limited experience, I've never been to a foreign country where tipping is expected. So how does everyone else in the civilized world survive?

To give an example, I was in England a few years ago on a business trip. I had a pint or two in a local pub and left a tip on the table, as I'm accustomed to doing in the US. I left the pub and was 50 yards down the street when I heard "Sir! Sir!". It was one of the staff chasing me down to return my tip. "You forgot this on the table, sir".

I work at an international company and we have visitors from all over Europe and Asia all the time. The thing that stresses them out the most is trying understand tipping. It is really a foreign concept to them.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Wow you can tell how people are raised different in this thread.

If someone is providing you a service you should but not required to tip regardless what type of income they receive. It just provides good service.

I do tip UPS DHL driver but not with money I normally during summer will leave a ice box outside with bottle water and soda for them. And candy assortments during the hollidays.

If my pizza is delivered hot and within reasonable time I tip between 12 and 16%.

Lawn keeper 10 percent tip and drink if needed.

Free airport shuttle 2 bucks per bag.

hotel maid 10 percent of total bill.

Hair cut including men 10 to 18 percent

As North Carolina is being tranformed from a farming, manufacturing state to a service oriented state that usually involves lesser of yearly pay scale than white collar jobs every bit helps them in my opinionm and often they work physically harder for their paycheck than someone that sits in a office cubicle

There needs to be a 21st century version of Emily Post.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM

191 posts, read 235,934 times
Quote:
If someone is providing you a service you should but not required to tip regardless what type of income they receive. It just provides good service.
Agree.

Quote:
I do tip UPS DHL driver but not with money I normally during summer will leave a ice box outside with bottle water and soda for them. And candy assortments during the hollidays.
Disagree.

Quote:
If my pizza is delivered hot and within reasonable time I tip between 12 and 16%.
Agree.

Quote:
Lawn keeper 10 percent tip and drink if needed.
Disagree.

Quote:
Free airport shuttle 2 bucks per bag.
It depends on whether they actually carried my bags. When I travel for business I usually have just a single carry on.

Quote:
hotel maid 10 percent of total bill.
Agree.

Quote:
Hair cut including men 10 to 18 percent
Agree.

Quote:
As North Carolina is being tranformed from a farming, manufacturing state to a service oriented state that usually involves lesser of yearly pay scale than white collar jobs every bit helps them in my opinionm and often they work physically harder for their paycheck than someone that sits in a office cubicle
I don't think that physical work or income disparity should have any bearing on tipping.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
We moved at the end of March. It was 87 degrees! Yeah, we tipped those guys! And gave them bottles of water & soda all day. And pizza for lunch. They were standing to eat it, I told them to please sit at the table. I thought, do people really make them stand to eat?

Treat every person with dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary