Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
America is so "uptight". It is a human body - we all have one. There is nothing to be ashamed of. People really need to get a life. If you don't like it, don't go there. You can't shelter your children from everything. Nothing can be worse than sheltering your kids and locking them in a closet because when they grow up reality is going to smack them right in the face and they aren't going to have a clue what to do. It isn't a childrens store and if you have children, you probably aren't going to shop there anyways so they don't even need to go in there and neither do you.
It is not inside the store..That is the point.

If the human body is always so great in every situation then I assume you have no problem with
men exposing themself to small children ?? If you say that is wrong,isn't that sheltering your kids???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
That is so incorrect. When consumers object and it affects
a company or mall's bottom line things do change.
I highly doubt this is going to hurt A&F's or TTC sales at all. It is a very popular brand. It is going to fall on deaf ears because there are more important things in the world to worry about than a picture of a human body.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,685 times
Quote:

If the human body is always so great in every situation then would
men exposing themself to small childrem be okay ?? If you say no ,
isn't that sheltering your kids???
It is a picture. It isn't going to jump out and grab your kids! You used a terrible analogy. Pedophiles? That is a completely different situation in itself. You can't even see anything "dirty" at all. The reality is, your child probably doesn't even notice or care about the picture. Why does nobody complain about mens underwear ads? What about at the department store or Target or Walmart when you want to buy some underwear? Better not let your kids over there! Those pictures are even "worse". Sorry, but I just don't see the big deal.

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
That mindset is what smoothed the way for some really horrible
events in world history. "To each his own" mentality does not always lead to a heathy society.
Clearly you missed my point - which given your position on the issue, doesn't surprise me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I highly doubt this is going to hurt A&F's or TTC sales at all. It is a very popular brand. It is going to fall on deaf ears because there are more important things in the world to worry about than a picture of a human body.
They actually arrested a manager somewhere (maybe Virginia Beach)
for inappropriate posters in a store.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
That is so incorrect. When consumers object and it affects
a company or mall's bottom line things do change.
A very small group of extremists is not going to affect this company (except in a positive way - free advertising). Nor is it going to affect the mall.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM

223 posts, read 566,611 times
The photo and resultant protests accomplished EXACTLY what the A & F was hoping- to draw more attention to its store and for all the teens to want to shop there even more. Ignore it, don't shop there if you don't want to, don't draw attention to it with your kids. I was at TTC yesterday with my preteen daughter and teen son and friends of both of theirs and none of them even noticed the photo. And we did not shop there. It is no worse than any of the other advertising that goes on for lingerie or swim suits.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:06 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:

If the human body is always so great in every situation then I assume you have no problem with
men exposing themself to small children ?? If you say that is wrong,isn't that sheltering your kids???
You cannot compare a "racy" photograph to some pedophile exposing himself...get a grip. Do you bring your children to a pool or beach? The last time I went, breasts and buttocks were exposed at every vantage point. The human body, male or female has been shown "au natural" since the beginning of time. Go to a museum and look at paintings from the Renaissance to the present...the poster, the paintings, it's all art.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
And on that note, here's a story - my uncle and his family moved to a community in Alaska where everyone believed what they believed and behaved as they thought it was moral to behave...they wanted to escape the 'wordly' people...well one day a man and woman who were married to other people took off together in a raft, which tipped, and they slunk back to the community in shame.

Moral of the story: can't change human nature, can't change society - just your own behavior.

So for those who are super-offended by this (and it seems this problem is only in the US) - best to stay out of the mall.
how did I miss your point??
You seem to think that to protest what you think is wrong
is futile. We would all be British if the colonist took your
advice of not trying to change society.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
A very small group of extremists is not going to affect this company (except in a positive way - free advertising). Nor is it going to affect the mall.
Guess I am an optimist.
Even if it doesn't I feel a responsibility to do my part to protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary