Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 AM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasdad View Post
....but do you feel it's worth 2x the property tax rate and the higher price of real estate?
Yes I do. Mostly because so many people (including myself) end up sending their children to private school if they live in Wake County. So if you add in the price of tuition especially if they go from K-12 to private school you will probably actually make out better financially if you buy in Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 AM

528 posts, read 1,463,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Yes I do. Mostly because so many people (including myself) end up sending their children to private school if they live in Wake County. So if you add in the price of tuition especially if they go from K-12 to private school you will probably actually make out better financially if you buy in Chapel Hill.
Fantastic point. Hubby and I were discussing the pros/cons of each and figured if we bought in Cary, we would likely need to add on the price of private school tuition to the cost of our house. That total is the total price we would have to spend in CH to come out equal (giving way for increased taxes as well).

Old 08-04-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
Fantastic point. Hubby and I were discussing the pros/cons of each and figured if we bought in Cary, we would likely need to add on the price of private school tuition to the cost of our house. That total is the total price we would have to spend in CH to come out equal (giving way for increased taxes as well).
...and that extra money that you put toward a home in Chapel Hill is really a real estate investment that you will see again when you sell later on where as you will never see the private school tuition again.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
My guess is after visiting the two it will be obvious which area has the feel you are looking for.
I completely agree with this statement. People tend to like one town or the other. If you visit them both, you'll quickly learn which one is more to your liking.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
The schools in West Cary (the specific part of Wake Co. the OP was asking about) are uniformly excellent. I'm not sure why you would need to send your children to private school living there (v. public school in CH) unless you had a strong aversion to the possibility of reassignment.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Quote:
I'm not certain that the elementary schools in CH are better than the best elementary schools in West Cary (check ncreportcard.com or greatschools.net and look at Highcroft Elementary, Green Hope Elementary and Davis Drive Elementary, for example). I'm not as familiar with the middle and high school situation. Obviously you would spare yourself the reassignment mess that Wake County subjects families to because of growth and the county's desire to diversify schools based on socio-economic status.
We lived in Cary for two years and I will say that we found it to be very safe and extremely family oriented and the Town of Cary parks are fantastic. Definitely take a look at Cary. Chapel Hill is a very socially liberal town which may or may not be your cup of tea or you may not care. My guess is after visiting the two it will be obvious which area has the feel you are looking for.
Post of the day.

It's not as if we are talking about two places with a whole lot of similarity here.
My preference would be West Cary based on geography. Chapel Hill is the far western end of all of the destinations we frequent in the Triangle. Living in West Cary, you have excellent access to CH on back roads and still retain your proximity to Raleigh, RDU, and the other western Wake towns. With gas at $4, a central location means a great deal to me.
I realize that many Chapel Hill residents have everything they need in Chapel Hill, but my family's needs transcend what ANY one town can offer us.
At a certain point all of our opinions mean very little. That point comes when you do an in-person comparison of the two towns.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The schools in West Cary (the specific part of Wake Co. the OP was asking about) are uniformly excellent. I'm not sure why you would need to send your children to private school living there (v. public school in CH) unless you had a strong aversion to the possibility of reassignment.
As we all know because of redistricting just because you live in West Cary certainly doesn't mean you will attend a West Cary public school. So I wouldn't find any comfort in certain schools being better than others. Then you say they are "Excellent", Excellent using what criteria? They maybe excellent for Wake County but what does that really mean?

In 1990 93% of children living in Wake County went to a public school. In 1996 that percentage was 90%, last year it was 83%. 1 out of every 5 children in Wake County does not attend their assigned public school...and that's a conservative estimate because people don't have to register their homeschooling children until they are 7. When the parents of 20% of the children in this county chose an alternative to their public school that to me speaks volumes as to the confidence (or lack there of) that parents have in the Wake County Public School System.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
As we all know because of redistricting just because you live in West Cary certainly doesn't mean you will attend a West Cary public school. So I wouldn't find any comfort in certain schools being better than others. Then you say they are "Excellent", Excellent using what criteria? They maybe excellent for Wake County but what does that really mean?

In 1990 93% of children living in Wake County went to a public school. In 1996 that percentage was 90%, last year it was 83%. 1 out of every 5 children in Wake County does not attend their assigned public school...and that's a conservative estimate because people don't have to register their homeschooling children until they are 7. When the parents of 20% of the children in this county chose an alternative to their public school that to me speaks volumes as to the confidence (or lack there of) that parents have in the Wake County Public School System.
First of all, I no longer live in Wake County, so I have no horse in this race. I was unhappy with the reassignment debacle (although our first child will not start kindergarten until September so I have no first hand experience) and our elementary (Weatherstone) wasn't one of the best in Wake Co., but the schools in West Cary are really quite impressive by almost any objective standard (and no, I do not mean compared to the other Wake Co. schools, I mean in general).
Look at the following schools on ncreportcard.com:
Green Hope Elementary, Davis Drive Elementary, Highcroft Elementary, Turner Creek Elementary. Compare their scores to the CH elementary scores. There's little difference. Students attending any of these schools tend to do very well.
Do you know anyone in West Cary whose children are bused out of West Cary? I've never heard of that happening. The busing goes in the other direction. May not be a guarentee, but it's a bet I would take.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Do you know anyone in West Cary whose children are bused out of West Cary? I've never heard of that happening. The busing goes in the other direction. May not be a guarentee, but it's a bet I would take.
Yes I do actually. Ask the families in nodes 381.4, 381.5, 381.6, 381.8 who were all
re-districted this year from Davis Drive (West Cary) to Laurel Park Elementary(Apex) and then got Joyner Elementary, (ITB Raleigh---19 miles away), as their traditional opt-out....I bet they wouldn't take that bet.

Like you I don't have a pony in this or anything to prove but I think that people deserve to know what they are getting into.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
sls76, that is true. West Cary is at the edge of the county and students are bused to them, not the other way, for the most part. There are some students who may get bused to other parts of Cary (or maybe Apex or M'ville) for middle school, but it isn't like kids are getting bused from West Cary to East Raleigh. The vast majority are in very good to excellent schools for their entire education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary