U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 68,230 times

Advertisements

I know it is the same story of all newcomers to the Triangle area, but I'm just trying to get more info between these two towns. I will be moving to the area after October. I'm from Philadelphia and right now I'm looking for a very quiet and peaceful place to live. I have been doing research and so far the towns with less crime are Cary and Morrisville.. Which one you believe is better? I'll appreciate all your help.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM

39,067 posts, read 67,677,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard26 View Post
I know it is the same story of all newcomers to the Triangle area, but I'm just trying to get more info between these two towns. I will be moving to the area after October. I'm from Philadelphia and right now I'm looking for a very quiet and peaceful place to live. I have been doing research and so far the towns with less crime are Cary and Morrisville.. Which one you believe is better? I'll appreciate all your help.

Thanks
You can have some quiet in either town.
Apex and Holly Springs are also quiet.

Really, crime is hardly an issue in any of them.
In Mo'ville and Cary, you have a greater chance of overhead plane traffic.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 PM

286 posts, read 944,798 times
I chose morrisville because of it's very convenient location. If you check out a map it's basically right in the middle of the triangle. I used to work in Raleigh and now I work in Chapel Hill and both are decently convenient.

Morrisville has a different feel to it than cary. Its a little less polished and has a more rural feel to it, though you definitely wouldnt describe it as rural in the traditional sense. They're both suburban to the core. Both are somewhat dull (my opinion, no need to start an argument). Cary has more amenities, but if you live in morrisville you're probably just a mile or so away from cary as morrisville is only 10 square miles. Honestly, my wife and I dont hang out in either. We go to durham or raleigh for fun.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 AM

13,302 posts, read 21,430,008 times
Is there really a significant difference here? :-) Most people in that general part of Wake Co. probably buy the "house" they like without particular town being the big issue.
If Morrisville hadn't aggressively pursued development, Cary would have swallowed it up and developed it in exactly the same manner.

Keep in mind that issues like schools aren't town specific; it's a county wide system. So, you don't end up with too many people splitting hairs over living in one or the other.

For me, the biggest issue to consider is whether your house is under the flight path of the airport or not. And, given that parts of Cary and Morrisville are in the flight path, I'd just keep that in my back pocket when looking.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 AM

51 posts, read 182,308 times
I'm an out of towner, and went to check out the area last week. I agree with the other poster, that Morrisville had a more "rural" and "smaller" feel to it and also had a more wider variety of types (and sizes) of homes. Cary had more plazas and the mall in the town.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 AM

39,067 posts, read 67,677,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2005 View Post
I'm an out of towner, and went to check out the area last week. I agree with the other poster, that Morrisville had a more "rural" and "smaller" feel to it and also had a more wider variety of types (and sizes) of homes. Cary had more plazas and the mall in the town.
Smaller, and slightly more rural, yes.
But Morrisville's diversity of choices in housing does not approach that of Cary's. Not in the same ball park.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:01 AM

12,458 posts, read 30,367,627 times
20 Years ago, Cary was just the bedroom community to Raleigh.

Morrisville is now the bedroom community to Cary.

Vicki

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 AM

43 posts, read 58,278 times
Cary -

Much further along in its development. Except for the very western side, it is almost complete. Very pretty town that has a tremendous appeal to a wide range of people. It is not a niche town, rather appeals to the masses.

Morrisville -

See Cary 20 years ago. If you like Cary, then you will like Morrisville down the road. Morrisville is very young in its growth. There is a lot less to do there, but you have the opportunity to get in before prices go through the roof. It has tremendous access to everything, however at this point you have to go out of town for many things. Morrisville has decidedly more air traffic than most of Cary. That is an issue to some and not to others.

Both are very safe.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,533,022 times
Cary is a town. Morrisville is little more than a mailing address. No offense to Morrisville, but its identity tends to be pretty undefined-it's the town you drive thru to get to Cary when you leave the airport, not a destination (unless you live or work there).

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM

3,114 posts, read 7,043,183 times
Why does it matter so much if Cary is a town and M'ville is a mailing address? A house is a house. Finding the right home in the right neighborhood is what is really important. I live in Cary, but I'm a stone's throw from M'ville. If I had found the home I wanted a half mile or less away, the fact that it was M'ville would not have made a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary