Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 PM

133 posts, read 392,170 times

Advertisements

I've never been to either but have heard strong opinions about which one people prefer. If you've been to both, why do you prefer one over the other (certain menu item, style of cooking, etc)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,183 times
Char Grill crushes quality wise, but Cook Out is 4 bucks for the tray and open until 3am

so I call it a draw

Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM

836 posts, read 3,459,915 times
Count me in as one who just doesn't understand Char-Grill. The burgers are overcooked and tasteless and the shakes are thick, but come from a boxed mix...not real ice cream (I have watched them pour the "stuff" in). I just don't get the appeal....I need more than the novelty of sliding your orders down the chute.

Now Cook out, I don't know what the use for the base of their shakes, but the other ingredients (peach, watermelon) are fresh, cause you can see and taste them. I have never eaten a burger from cookout, so can't compare.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM

820 posts, read 2,781,009 times
Hands down Char Grill for quality and taste. One thing about Cook Out however is that it is quick, a bit cheaper, and a little known fact, they have decent BBQ sandwiches (vinegar based).

Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,634,245 times
Just to throw another burger joint into the mix: Five Guys vs. Char Grill. I prefer Five Guys! I thought Char Grill was just ok. I haven't been to Cookout yet.

Of course I don't have a regular diet of burgers and fries Doesn't shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's cancel it out?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 PM

473 posts, read 1,512,993 times
I gotta say Cook Out. The first time I went there, dinner for two was about $10. I was amazed, because I even had a blueberry milkshake! Great variety, great price, and probably a lot better taste than your "normal" fast food.

CharGrill seems kinda limited to me....

Old 08-04-2008, 06:58 PM

551 posts, read 2,280,703 times
The ideal: CookOut milkshakes & Five Guys burgers.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

3,367 posts, read 7,726,594 times
Char Grill burgers are excellent and much better than Cook Out. Shakes are pretty much a draw, although I prefer the thick shakes of Char Grill. Five Guys is pretty lousy, IMO. Far, far too greasy.

As far as indoor places, gotta give a shout out to Abbey Road in Cary. Man, what a burger. Honorable mention to Fat Daddy's.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,098 times
I love to go to the Char Grill on Hillsborough. It's just such a cultural experience: the mix of people, the near misses as cars drive through, the birds desperately trying to get leftover bits of lettuce off the pavement.

But for me, no other Char Grill is the same. We went to the Cary one last week. It wasn't even close. All of Char Grill's mystique centers around the Hillsborough Road location.

And I must confess I've grown to really like Five Guys burgers too.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,322,092 times
I prefer Char Grill. I guess I've been here long enough (> 20 years) to have grown accustomed to their burgers. I also like Backyard Burgers a lot, and love the malted shakes. I've tried Five Guys a couple of times, and have been underwhelmed. I just don't like the fried burgers - they are way to greasy, and much prefer the grilled burgers available at other restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary