Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,768 times

Advertisements

i am not somebody who knows somebody who knew somebody who once lived in brentwood. nor am i a real estate agent who would encourage buying in a much more expensive neighborhood. i have lived in brentwood for 13 years and i can assure you it is a wonderful place to live. yes, it has some age, but the homes originally were well built and for the most part are well kept. because of the age of the neighborhood, the trees and landscape are established and quite beautiful. springtime in brentwood is a sight to behold with thousands of dogwood trees in bloom. it is true, we do have a very active neighborhood association that works closely with the city officials to make life in the neighborhood even better. yes, we did go after and get speed humps installed on our streets; the first neighborhood in raleigh to do so. im not sure where some of these posters are getting their information, but let me assure there is no more gang activity here than anyplace else in the city, personally i have not heard of any, and the reason there are often police cars around is because the substation is just up the street (atlantic avenue) and we encourage the patrol officers to make their presence known. we attend monthly meetings with captain davis to discuss crime in the city and what we can do to prevent it happening here. we have police officers who live in the neighborhood and naturally patrol the area when going to and from work. there are currently 4 subsidized houses in the neighborhood of 1200 homes. i failed to mention we have one of the loveliest parks in the city. neighborhood volunteers work diligently to keep it as beautiful as it is and we have an active garden club that oversees annual plantings and maintains the many gardens throughout the park. within the park are softball fields, tennis courts and basketball courts. of course there is a well maintained playground for the youngsters. there is a pavillion with tables and grills for picnicing. the swimming pool was sold to a private group a few years ago, but memberships can still be purchased if swimming is your thing. we have numerous gatherings in the park each year, my personal favorite being an afternoon of music in the park provided by either the marine corps orchestra or the raleigh orchestra. we are one of the oldest neighborhoods in raleigh to annually display christmas luminaries which are provided each christmas eve by our neighborhood exchange club. the luminaries are paid for by donation and no home is left dark on christmas eve. it is breathtaking to see block after block after block lighted by candle. also on christmas eve we go caroling and some years we even have a hayride. aside from the asthetics of the neighborhood, brentwood is very convenient to shopping, lots of great restaurants, downtown and even if you catch all three red lights, only 5 minutes from the 440 on ramp. [MOD] url removed [/MOD] enjoy. [MOD] removed [/MOD]

Last edited by autumngal; 03-08-2008 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: no signatures please, ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
I did a semester student teaching at Brentwood elementary and its a nice little area- the school is smack dab in the middle of it, too. I don't know if or how redistricting has affected it. Those who live there probably know, though!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Brentwood is nice except for the 2 crime-ridden apt complexes on New Hope Church Rd.

The Christmas decorations are unique.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
A key to making money in real estate is to figure out the next hot thing before everyone else does. Where's there's risk, there's reward. Ten years ago, houses in the now "so called" midtown area of Raleigh were hardly on anyone's radar. Now, they are some of the most sought-after. I think Brentwood is one of those "next" places. Its location is outstanding for its prices. The less than desirable stretch of New Hope Church Rd. between Atlantic Ave. and Capital Blvd is bound to undergo an overhaul eventually and the land under the old apartments will eventually be to valuable to keep those apartments on them. While it might not be tomorrow, Brentwood will soon have its day in the sun. In the meantime, it looks like the residents are taking care of their diamond in the rough to bring the best life possible to its residents.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Obviously the people who currently live in Brentwood is going to tell you how wonderful of a neighborhood it is. I just moved out of Brentwood last summer and for good reasons. While the neighborhood is decent it is far from wonderful. There are a lot of rentals which is bringing in a lot of Hispanics. Although it's just my opinion, a lot of the Hispanics are either in a gang or associate with gang members. Also, the apartment complex at the end of Brentwood Rd. and just up the street on Bonneville Ct. off New Hope Ch. Rd. is riddled with gang activity. Again, I just moved from Brentwood for a reason.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Obviously the people who currently live in Brentwood is going to tell you how wonderful of a neighborhood it is. I just moved out of Brentwood last summer and for good reasons. While the neighborhood is decent it is far from wonderful. There are a lot of rentals which is bringing in a lot of Hispanics. Although it's just my opinion, a lot of the Hispanics are either in a gang or associate with gang members. Also, the apartment complex at the end of Brentwood Rd. and just up the street on Bonneville Ct. off New Hope Ch. Rd. is riddled with gang activity. Again, I just moved from Brentwood for a reason.
Brentwood has had a so-so reputation for many years. It is a shame, in a way, b/c some of the streets are very nice, nice lots with mature lawns. Some of the streets are somewhat rundown and need a lot of TLC.

Also, the New Hope Church Road/Atlantic Road area isn't too hot either.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:50 AM

The BRentwood S/D is more than just Brentwood road, near the apartments (which at one time were decent- never great, but decent)

The S/D has a lot of beautiful, interior streets and areas that are quite nice.

No, I don't live in Brentwood, but I also think that in a few years time it will become an even better place to live. It's one of the truly established neighborhoods in NOrth Raleigh that is affordable to middle income families.

Areas similar to Brentwood have seen skyrocking prices (thinking of Lakemont/Eastgate areas, near North Hills, which is where I grew up). Those areas have seen the jump due to NOrth Hills renovation. Brentwood will see its time too. I could see the shopping center at Brentwood and Capital being redone, and it starting a boom for brentwood....

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
According to the Wake county school demographic report, http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/sp...-achieve07.pdf (broken link), Brentwood Elementary school has the highest ESL (36.5%) and LEP (limited English proficiency) (46.5%) percentages of all the Wake county schools. The next highest % school, River Oaks Middle School, was 25% ESL and 25% LEP.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
According to the Wake county school demographic report, http://www.wcpss.net/demographics/sp...-achieve07.pdf (broken link), Brentwood Elementary school has the highest ESL (36.5%) and LEP (limited English proficiency) (46.5%) percentages of all the Wake county schools. The next highest % school, River Oaks Middle School, was 25% ESL and 25% LEP.

makes sense. Its one of the only affordable areas in N. Raleigh anymore. Brentwood apartments probably have a pretty high hispanic population due to the affordability.

Growth has outpriced the area as a whole, so it stands to reason that when you do have a pocket of affordable homes and apartments, that it will be more diverse.

I imagine it will slowly shift as the area gains popularity, home values increase, and rents are increased.

come on folks, not everyone living in raleigh is making 6 figures a year- they need a place to live too. mcmansions are pricing many out of living in the area they grew up in/ love.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
There are some really nice and some not so nice areas within Brentwood. I seriously looked at that location when shopping for a home. That being said, I don't see that area turning into the next "it" spot. The things that happened in the North Hills area aren't going on in the Brentwood area of Capital Boulevard / Atlantic Avenue and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

There are some nice older homes with large lots and mature landscaping in Brentwood. If I were to buy in Brentwood I would buy there for what it is today, not becasue you think it is going to turn into a "hot" location. If you think that area is going to explode with appreciation in the next 5-10 years I think you are going to be let down in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary