Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Wake Forest area: interracial couples, melting pot, religion, ethnic tensions, negative comments

Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM

15 posts, read 28,750 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the posts about Wake Forest and other areas to live around the Triangle. My next question, which has probably been asked a lot, is in regards to interracial couples around the Wake Forest area. I've heard that in the city, it's pretty liberal so people don't care as much about interracial couples, religion, etc. How about in Wake Forest?

The reason I am asking is that my husband is from India and I'm Polish-American and we don't participate in any religion. Do people care about this in the Wake Forest area or is it more liberal? Currently being in California, nobody cares who you are married to or what your beliefs are; it was the same thing we experienced in Wisconsin.

I just want to get a feel for what you all think....

Thanks,
Catherine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 AM

134 posts, read 549,559 times
This area seems to be such a melting pot that it really doesnt seem to matter to people much. You see and hear people of all nationalities.

Being an Ex Wisconsinite myself, I am glad you were treated well there. Hey ya der hey!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:38 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Although wake forest is a smaller town than raleigh, there doesn't seem to be any racial/ethnic tensions (at least none I have read about). After living all over the triangle for the past 30 plus years, I really see a live and let live attitude. Wake forest is getting more ethnically diverse as the population is growing. The "big" population boom in wake forest started with wakefield plantation (single family homes to mansions on a golf course) and that was about 8 years ago............so, the population grows, so does the diversity.

Again, take this from a white woman, so I would not experience what someone who is not white would.....but, from what I have seen and heard from my friends who are not white, people really don't seem to care!

Leigh

Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscogal View Post
Thanks for all the posts about Wake Forest and other areas to live around the Triangle. My next question, which has probably been asked a lot, is in regards to interracial couples around the Wake Forest area. I've heard that in the city, it's pretty liberal so people don't care as much about interracial couples, religion, etc. How about in Wake Forest?

The reason I am asking is that my husband is from India and I'm Polish-American and we don't participate in any religion. Do people care about this in the Wake Forest area or is it more liberal? Currently being in California, nobody cares who you are married to or what your beliefs are; it was the same thing we experienced in Wisconsin.

I just want to get a feel for what you all think....

Thanks,
Catherine
I've not noticed any real racial tensions at all, but being white, I am sure I miss a lot of the undertones. But really, you should have few if any problems in that regard, certainly not with people from India. (There were several children from India at WF elementary when my daughter was there so there and Rock never mentioned any negative comments are other families. Cary seems to have a larger ethnic population though, but it is a bigger city. The gentleman from India that owns a small business in Wake Forest lives in Cary with his family...that's a drive!! There is a couple from there in my neighborhood as well.)

The lack of religion thing may be a bit tougher. There is a Baptist Seminary in town, who does attempt to have influence over things. I think over time this is going to continue to diminish. Some people here will ask you what church you go to. It's considered a polite question in the South. It helps if you side-step the question as much as possible. There are some that are going to be upset no matter what you say unless it's their church. They aren't going to be the sort that makes for good friends anyway. There are plenty of others around town that simply don't care if or what church you go to.

Welcome to WF! It really is a great place to live.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Thanks for your input Packer Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
This area seems to be such a melting pot that it really doesnt seem to matter to people much. You see and hear people of all nationalities.

Being an Ex Wisconsinite myself, I am glad you were treated well there. Hey ya der hey!

That's great to hear! I'm a little more at ease about the relo to NC. Although, we are still going to visit the area a couple of times prior to the move, I just wanted to get a feel for what ya all thought.

Glad to see there are some ex-Wisconsinites in NC. Your ending sentence made me laugh hysterically. I'm not sure if you have heard of this website, but being an ex-Wisconsite you might find it interesting, being that it talks about Wisconsin and shows you how to pronounce stuff, etc. It's pretty funny: http://www.misspronouncer.com/

Thank you for your inputs!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Thanks for the Feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Although wake forest is a smaller town than raleigh, there doesn't seem to be any racial/ethnic tensions (at least none I have read about). After living all over the triangle for the past 30 plus years, I really see a live and let live attitude. Wake forest is getting more ethnically diverse as the population is growing. The "big" population boom in wake forest started with wakefield plantation (single family homes to mansions on a golf course) and that was about 8 years ago............so, the population grows, so does the diversity.

Again, take this from a white woman, so I would not experience what someone who is not white would.....but, from what I have seen and heard from my friends who are not white, people really don't seem to care!

Leigh

This is great to hear about Wake Forest. There were places where I had that folks thought Wake Forest was on the outskirts of the Triangle area so I was wondering whether it would be a bit backwards in thinking. But it looks like that is not the case with the big population boom and from what your friends have said. And like you said, with more people continuing to move into the area, the diversity will only increase. Great feedback - thank you so much!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This is great to hear about Wake Forest. There were places where I had that folks thought Wake Forest was on the outskirts of the Triangle area so I was wondering whether it would be a bit backwards in thinking. But it looks like that is not the case with the big population boom and from what your friends have said. And like you said, with more people continuing to move into the area, the diversity will only increase. Great feedback - thank you so much!
Wake Forest shares a city limit with Raleigh in many locations....it's used to be 'out there' but it's less then 30 mintues to most areas of downtown Raleigh (traffic allowing).

Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Thanks for your feedback Desdemona123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I've not noticed any real racial tensions at all, but being white, I am sure I miss a lot of the undertones. But really, you should have few if any problems in that regard, certainly not with people from India. (There were several children from India at WF elementary when my daughter was there so there and Rock never mentioned any negative comments are other families. Cary seems to have a larger ethnic population though, but it is a bigger city. The gentleman from India that owns a small business in Wake Forest lives in Cary with his family...that's a drive!! There is a couple from there in my neighborhood as well.)

The lack of religion thing may be a bit tougher. There is a Baptist Seminary in town, who does attempt to have influence over things. I think over time this is going to continue to diminish. Some people here will ask you what church you go to. It's considered a polite question in the South. It helps if you side-step the question as much as possible. There are some that are going to be upset no matter what you say unless it's their church. They aren't going to be the sort that makes for good friends anyway. There are plenty of others around town that simply don't care if or what church you go to.

Welcome to WF! It really is a great place to live.
It's really positive hearing about some ethnic diversity in the WF area. Obviously, I'm not looking or expecting to have every other house in a neighborhood be ethnically diverse but it's important hearing that many folks don't really care. I've heard that Cary has a larger ethnic population...there must be lots of good ethnic eateries there.

I figured that the church question would be a polite question in the South. I'll just have to practice side-stepping the question and ignore those who get upset over what our beliefs are. And you're right - people that do upset and comment over our beliefs are not going to be good friends.

Now we really can't wait to move to WF. We're really looking for a slower lifestyle like we had in Wisconsin. I grew up with lots of trees around and larger than a sandbox lot and for some reason, WF reminds me of that.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Default good to hear WF is not that "out there" anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Wake Forest shares a city limit with Raleigh in many locations....it's used to be 'out there' but it's less then 30 mintues to most areas of downtown Raleigh (traffic allowing).
Perfect!! I'm not a city person so I would rather live in suburbia and be less than 30 minutes away from stores like Target, etc during good traffic Yay! I'm hoping it's going to give the same feeling for me like I had growing up in Wisconsin (minus the sub-zero temps in the winter!)

Old 01-26-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Perfect!! I'm not a city person so I would rather live in suburbia and be less than 30 minutes away from stores like Target, etc during good traffic Yay! I'm hoping it's going to give the same feeling for me like I had growing up in Wisconsin (minus the sub-zero temps in the winter!)
There is a Target in Wake Forest (so, 5 to 10 mintues away from most of Wake Forest) and Triangle Town Mall is 20 mintues most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary