U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 09:06 PM

37 posts, read 155,572 times

Advertisements

shortest commute, without question, is kittscreek http://www.kittscreek.com/

I work for a company in the triangle. 7 minutes door to door...

Unless you work out of your house, there is no shorter commute
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 AM

106 posts, read 710,866 times
Bumping this thread

I *might* (crosses fingers) be landing a job at Nortel here soon. I'm originally from the Raleigh area (NCSU alum, obviously) who made an awful, awful decision to leave NC after school. Now I'm hopefully headed back.

The wife & I don't want to live in Durham Co., as schools *are* a consideration. Now that Durham Co. is out, what's the shortest commute in area where I can buy a house for ~$200k (I know, not likely, I'll probably end up renting).

Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM

823 posts, read 3,757,400 times
NCSUAlum,

I've seen some houses in the older part of Cary for <$200K. That might be a reasonable commute and commuting by bus might be possible, as well. It could also be convenient for your children to walk to downtown Cary and/or your wife to commute elsewhere.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:23 PM

203 posts, read 142,317 times
I would not consider renting. Buying a condo would be better than renting. You would get more space and be able to capitalize on market appreciation. If you rent, you are just giving money to someone else. If you look in the southern part of Durham, you can find a nice house in your price range. Not all the schools in Durham are bad. Jordan High School is supposed to be real good and that is an option in Southern Durham.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 PM

9,758 posts, read 28,713,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
I would not consider renting. Buying a condo would be better than renting. You would get more space and be able to capitalize on market appreciation. If you rent, you are just giving money to someone else.

I respectfully diagree with that idea, especially if you hope to buy a house within the next year. Renting will give you much more flexibilty when it comes time to buy because your offer would not be contingent upon you selling a condo. Also...you aren't likely to recoup your expenses from the condo purchase if you plan to sell it after just a year. Appreciation ins't going to be that tremendous in a year. Doesn't seem worth it.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM

203 posts, read 142,317 times
I assumed Alice 61 was talking about renting long term, because of the price of housing. I agree that renting would be better for the short term, if you planned on buying soon. However, if you plan on renting for a few years or more, I still feel buying a condo would be a better choice.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:35 AM

39,414 posts, read 68,369,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUAlum2006 View Post
Bumping this thread

I *might* (crosses fingers) be landing a job at Nortel here soon. I'm originally from the Raleigh area (NCSU alum, obviously) who made an awful, awful decision to leave NC after school. Now I'm hopefully headed back.

The wife & I don't want to live in Durham Co., as schools *are* a consideration. Now that Durham Co. is out, what's the shortest commute in area where I can buy a house for ~$200k (I know, not likely, I'll probably end up renting).
SFR or Townhome or Condo.
Townhomes and condos are available.
SFR's are scarcer, but there are some. You might do well with a 60's or 70's rancher in Cary.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 AM

180 posts, read 706,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
What communities have the shortest commute to the RTP? My husband's current commute in New England is such a burden that he's had it with commuting in general. I know from living in a region in the 90s that experienced explosive growth that as new developments go in, infrastructure never keeps up. What should be a 20 minute drive can be come an 60 minute drive at the wrong time of day.

Any suggestions?
Anybody know In what part of RTP the Fidelity Investments campus will be?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 AM

189 posts, read 717,233 times
The new Fidelity campus will be constructed in the southernmost tip of RTP. It wwill be located in the Wake County portion of RTP along Louis Stephens Road. The site is north of the Interstate 540 route and south of Cisco Systems' campus on Kit Creek Road. Several temporary facilities exist in Morrisville, Durham and Cary.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:20 AM

180 posts, read 706,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
The new Fidelity campus will be constructed in the southernmost tip of RTP. It wwill be located in the Wake County portion of RTP along Louis Stephens Road. The site is north of the Interstate 540 route and south of Cisco Systems' campus on Kit Creek Road. Several temporary facilities exist in Morrisville, Durham and Cary.
Rocky, do you work there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary