Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times

Advertisements

This question was one of the reasons we moved here from CT -- so we could afford to have me stay at home with the little ones. We chose house wisely as others seem to have done so we could live on one income. When kids hit school age, I chose to go back to work full-time, and that worked beautifully. Partly because I chose a family friendly employer who would let folks take off parts of days, so I could get to the classroom or leave early when needed. Now, I have the ideal job of contracting out of my house, so I have the best of both worlds. In my neighborhood, we have the gamut of SAHM, WAHM, and WOHM - and we all support each other.

In my experience, the only downside of being a SAHM, is that you have to guard your hours and learn how to say 'no'....or else you will get sucked into *every* volunteer project!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times
I work full time, while my husband stays home w/ our 2 kids, mainly b/c we chose a long time ago that the daycare thang wouldn't be right for us. Of course there are times we think about how different things could be w/ another salary, but ultimately we live happily here and easily do without when we know our kids are home with us.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I think as a whole humans are a resilient lot and can make most situations work out if care is taken in decision-making and planning. The important thing is that we all support each other and build each other up in our differing situations rather than attempt to justify our own choices by tearing down those who chose differently.
This is probably one of the most intelligent & sensitive statements I've ever read on this topic!! Kudos and rep points to you!!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I stayed at home with my kids when they were younger. Being the control freak that I am, I wasn't about to put them in daycare!

When they were younger and I got bored, I worked part time...2 nights per week and a Sat. or a Sunday. Amazing how it rejuvenates you to be around adults instead of kids all day and night! It was good for hubby to take care of his kids without me telling him how it should be done!

There are so many articles that claim it is better for kids to have a SAHM and so many that claim it is better for kids to have working parents. I don't read the articles. Too much pressure! I do what is best for my family, as I think everyone should!

Besides...are these articles written by stay at home moms or working moms or...gasp...some man?!! (insert smiley here)

Vicki

Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Besides...are these articles written by stay at home moms or working moms or...gasp...some man?!! (insert smiley here)
Hey now ... I'll admit everyone writing these articles defends their own position, but don't assume all men want the mom to be the stay-at-home parent. My brother-in-law stayed home for about 4 years in the 90s when his kids were young, and my uncle was a stay-at-home parent in the 70s before it was fashionable. I have several friends who have been SAHDs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I think as a whole humans are a resilient lot and can make most situations work out if care is taken in decision-making and planning. The important thing is that we all support each other and build each other up in our differing situations rather than attempt to justify our own choices by tearing down those who chose differently.
Exactly! Wish I could give you rep points, but apparently I need to spread more rep around....

Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcc View Post
I work full time, while my husband stays home w/ our 2 kids, mainly b/c we chose a long time ago that the daycare thang wouldn't be right for us. Of course there are times we think about how different things could be w/ another salary, but ultimately we live happily here and easily do without when we know our kids are home with us.
We are in the same situation, didn't want the kids in day care...I was a SAHM for 3 yrs, now my husband is stay at home dad. The kids are in school now, so he is looking for work again. Although, sometimes I feel like the only working mom in our neighborhood....lots of SAHM's in the area.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,418 times
There is no easy choice as a mom whether you stay home or don't. I am a working mom and my husband stays at home with my daughter. I fully agree in supporting whatever choice a woman makes. I really wish I was home with my girl, but I have a good job and so here I am. I do have to say that I don't think there is a magic formula for which is a better role model for kids - if their mom stays home or not. My mom stayed home and always worked her butt off with the house, helping us with homework, cooking, you name it. The woman never rested, and I couldn't respect her more. It didn't make me not want a career - I have a great career. The values you give your kids and the way you live your life will speak volumes to them and really instill a lot of their values and work ethic. On a side note, I work in the NY metro area and there is no forgiveness for a working mom. I work 9 - 6 or 6:30pm most days. I don't usually get home until about 7pm. Not much flexibility - the company will say they are flexible - but try to take advantage of it and you pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary