Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 AM

20 posts, read 160,887 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if along with all of the subdivisions being built if anyone knows of one where you can just by the lot and build your own house (your own design)? Or even anywhere in the Raleigh area not just a new subdivision? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover View Post
Just wondering if along with all of the subdivisions being built if anyone knows of one where you can just by the lot and build your own house (your own design)? Or even anywhere in the Raleigh area not just a new subdivision? Thanks.
Almost anywhere.
There is a LOT of land on the MLS that is not in subdivisions. I have several land listings in NW Raleigh.
You might also consider a knockdown house, in almost any town.

You will pay good $$$ for desirable raw land in a good location, but it is quite possible to do what you seek.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,760,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You might also consider a knockdown house, in almost any town.
Mike, I've been wondering about knockdowns in Wake and Durham Co. Does the county or city have any regulations about reusing existing walls? Here in Portland it's very, very difficult to completely knock down a structure. Now you have to preserve one or two of the original main walls.

So in Wake and Durham county can you just knock down the whole structure, cart it away and start completely over?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,410,165 times
^ as far as I know, you can easily do it as long as there's no historical significance to the place.
On my street someone recently knocked down a duplex and put a three-story house in its place. Looked like they completely "beamed out" the building before the new one even started.

Also, I've heard that some folks qualify for a tax break if they recycle materials. re-use the bricks or what have you. But I'm not really sure on the logistics or requirements for that.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
pdxmom,
Houses in their entirety are removed routinely. Sometimes they are even jacked up and rolled to a different location.

Rob is right...if that is your desire, you will want to avoid a historical area.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:17 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Even in a historical area, it "can" be done to some extent... but you'll want to talk to a real estate agent and probably to an attorney.

Depending on the property's status/stature, in Durham at least, I believe the preservation board can delay a teardown for a year but not necessarily block it. In my neighborhood at least, however, there's talk of extending the protection against teardowns, though that hasn't happened. This was inspired by a resident/developer tearing down a house (at the corner of Club and N. Duke, for those who know the area) and building a new single-family home and 6 townhouses on the lot. The new development's very attractive but some are worried it will start a trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary