Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
We are seeing more and more agents holding a listing in "Contingent" status until all contingencies, including inspections and repair negotiations are removed.

Then it is often taken to "Pending."
Some take a listing to Pending after closing and directly to "Closed."
Mike, so then if a home has a "contingent" status in MLS does it still show up when a realtor or a buyer on the internet completes a search?

If so that is good news... And I rescend my comments.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I've seen more properties lately stay "Contingent" until a few days before the sales actually close. I've never had the desire to write a backup offer though - just seems like a waste of time to be honest. Buying a house is stressful enough without being 2nd in line, waiting for something to go wrong with the first contract!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Mike, so then if a home has a "contingent" status in MLS does it still show up when a realtor or a buyer on the internet completes a search?

If so that is good news... And I rescend my comments.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge.

I can see all listings, all statuses, in the MLS from the last 10 years, any time I have the urge. Additional photos are deleted after 6(?) months.

You can see "Contingent" through a Prospect Gateway delivered by email.

You may or may not see that a property is "Contingent" when you do a search on a third party or a Realtor's personal site.

But... There are not hard and fast rules regarding when a property is taken from "Contingent" status to "Pending." Or at least, barely enforced if at all. Yet.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM

183 posts, read 671,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I can see all listings, all statuses, in the MLS from the last 10 years, any time I have the urge. Additional photos are deleted after 6(?) months.

You can see "Contingent" through a Prospect Gateway delivered by email.

You may or may not see that a property is "Contingent" when you do a search on a third party or a Realtor's personal site.

But... There are not hard and fast rules regarding when a property is taken from "Contingent" status to "Pending." Or at least, barely enforced if at all. Yet.
Yeah, the problem in my case was that my house showed as "Contingent". My realtor said that there used to be a status on the MLS that would say something to the effect of "Contingent but taking backup offers". We were going to take backup offers as per the wording of the contingency, but on the MLS, because it wasn't listed that way, I think it turned a few potential lookers off.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
Yeah, the problem in my case was that my house showed as "Contingent". My realtor said that there used to be a status on the MLS that would say something to the effect of "Contingent but taking backup offers". We were going to take backup offers as per the wording of the contingency, but on the MLS, because it wasn't listed that way, I think it turned a few potential lookers off.
Right. It is just a different label, and since the MLS TEMPO update we will take a little time to adjust.
Agents know that they can deliver a back up offer any time. It will take some time for them to convey that to clients.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM

599 posts, read 498,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
As someone who just sold my home, I can say that I was unwilling to take a contingency. In a stronger market, I would have been more likely to consider one, but in this market, if you offered me with a contingency and I accepted, you'd essentially take my house off the market and prevent possibly a better offer (i.e. - non-contingent) from coming in.
As a builder I was severely burned by a contingency. From that experience I learned that the only safe way to do is with a kick out clause. You have a right to buy my home, contingent on your completed sale. If I receive a suitable offer before that time, you have three days to commit to buying, with a significant, and non-refundable deposit, and proof of an approved bridge loan or other funds. The home is not listed as pending, no "taking backup offers" or anything else to discourage other potential buyers. If it's available when you are ready to buy, it's yours, if not, too bad. Other than a seller with a distressed property, or unusual local market (super hot or cold ) , I can't justify damaging yourself as a seller, by saying anything but a hard NO to a straight contingency deal.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
As a builder I was severely burned by a contingency. From that experience I learned that the only safe way to do is with a kick out clause. You have a right to buy my home, contingent on your completed sale. If I receive a suitable offer before that time, you have three days to commit to buying, with a significant, and non-refundable deposit, and proof of an approved bridge loan or other funds. The home is not listed as pending, no "taking backup offers" or anything else to discourage other potential buyers. If it's available when you are ready to buy, it's yours, if not, too bad. Other than a seller with a distressed property, or unusual local market (super hot or cold ) , I can't justify damaging yourself as a seller, by saying anything but a hard NO to a straight contingency deal.
That post was 11 years ago....

Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
a trip down memory lane of how things were in August 2008, before the credit markets froze in September. And our forms and inventory levels were very different.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
We bought without a contingency and then listed our home which luckily sold for all cash with a three week close. It was super stressful but worked out. I wouldn’t advise this approach unless you have a back up plan for a loan or cash. We had money we could borrow from family members had our home not closed on time.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 AM

4,263 posts, read 4,714,230 times
What really irritates me: an offer that's contingent on a lengthy punchlist, for which most of the items don't have anything to do with safe or functional occupancy. Instead, the buyer is trying to get the house exactly like they want it, with me acting as their general contractor. They should just engage a builder for a new home.

Don't see much of this when the market is hot, but when the market goes cold, look out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary