Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM

58 posts, read 182,497 times

Advertisements

we finally made it here in beautiful NC, drove around the area and trying to suck in as much warm fresh air as we possibly could before we return to our polluted concrete jungle we call home. Found the house we like, tour the apartment we absolute dropped our jaws on, those luxury rentals along Evans and Cary Pkwy(especially ones that has the word "Weston" in it) are simply amazing and I can't believe what we are actually paying for our shoebox in NYC.

however, after my interview with the potential employer the reality hits me, and I must ask the locals about the truth on cost of living.

What kind of life would you have if you are a single income family of three making 30k-35k a year, would you be home owner or apartment renters? would you be able to eat out? would you be able to afford health coverage for your children?

I'm currently living in Manhattan, NY on single income of 42k a year and we have no health care coverage, no car, eat out at most twice a month and feels lucky to pay all bills on time.

Basically, our family knows how to "rough" it, and the main idea of moving down here is because we are tired of "roughing it" especially with my young child.

Would a 30-35k annual income considered decent wages here in Wake county, or should I expect to struggle with this income if I move here just as I struggle with my current income of 42K in NYC.

any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:45 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
we finally made it here in beautiful NC, drove around the area and trying to suck in as much warm fresh air as we possibly could before we return to our polluted concrete jungle we call home. Found the house we like, tour the apartment we absolute dropped our jaws on, those luxury rentals along Evans and Cary Pkwy(especially ones that has the word "Weston" in it) are simply amazing and I can't believe what we are actually paying for our shoebox in NYC.

however, after my interview with the potential employer the reality hits me, and I must ask the locals about the truth on cost of living.

What kind of life would you have if you are a single income family of three making 30k-35k a year, would you be home owner or apartment renters? would you be able to eat out? would you be able to afford health coverage for your children?

I'm currently living in Manhattan, NY on single income of 42k a year and we have no health care coverage, no car, eat out at most twice a month and feels lucky to pay all bills on time.

Basically, our family knows how to "rough" it, and the main idea of moving down here is because we are tired of "roughing it" especially with my young child.

Would a 30-35k annual income considered decent wages here in Wake county, or should I expect to struggle with this income if I move here just as I struggle with my current income of 42K in NYC.

any advice is greatly appreciated.
That sounds tight, but I think $30-35,000 here might be better than $40-42,000 there.

You would be renting to start. Not a bad start, anyway, but you would be farther ahead to make a leasing mistake than a buying mistake.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 PM

159 posts, read 608,711 times
Since I can't link to it here, I did a cost of living calculation for you using one of ones free on the internet.

Salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
$42,000
Comparable salary in Raleigh NC:
$19,575.43

If you move from New York (Manhattan) NY to Raleigh NC...

Groceries will cost: 30.196% less Housing will cost: 75.716% less Utilities will cost: 39.475% less Transportation will cost: 20.818% less Healthcare will cost: 17.867% less

Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM

159 posts, read 608,711 times
Here it is for Queens, NY:

Salary in New York (Queens) NY:
$42,000
Comparable salary in Raleigh NC:
$27,501.89

If you move from New York (Queens) NY to Raleigh NC...

Groceries will cost: 30.27% less Housing will cost: 57.209% less Utilities will cost: 32.069% less Transportation will cost: 12.242% less Healthcare will cost: 3.009% less

Old 08-08-2008, 03:24 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,417,348 times
I have to respectfully disagree about the groceries. I think grocery prices have gone way up since this data was posted. We're finding groceries higher here than in RI. Our son and DIL live in NYC and just visited. My son found the prices of groceries higher here. On the other hand, they were totally amazed at the cost of rents and real estate in general. Utilities are definitely less as well.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:24 AM

445 posts, read 1,858,688 times
I'm not sure about the transportation cost either. While I'm sure having a car in the Triangle is much less than owning one in NYC, but that's if you have a car in NYC.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree about the groceries. I think grocery prices have gone way up since this data was posted. We're finding groceries higher here than in RI. Our son and DIL live in NYC and just visited. My son found the prices of groceries higher here. On the other hand, they were totally amazed at the cost of rents and real estate in general. Utilities are definitely less as well.
My inlaws live in Manhattan and say groceries are much cheaper here. Maybe other parts of NY are cheaper, but not in Manhattan.

If the company you are going to start working for offers health benefits for you and your family and you get a starting salary of 35,000 I would take it and move imo. You will be able to rent a nice apartment in a great area.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:41 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,980,837 times
Clip coupons. You'll be surprised how much you can save. I will get the grocery store sale papers each week and use coupons with the items that are on sale. It helps!

Also, you might want to look around a bit as far as apartment living is concerned. I know Cary is a bit more than say Raleigh as far as living costs are concerned. If you tell us whereabouts your job is, I'm sure we can all offer you some great suggestions of apartments to look at.
Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:23 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Are you in a rent controlled or stabilized apt in NYC?

No controls here but there is a good selection of apts in various price scales way less than market rate in NYC.

Will you get health benefits here in NC?

Will you need a car here that you can do without in NYC? Public transit here ranges from minimal to none.

You can make it here but don't expect to live in one of the new high priced apts.

Take a look at ours. You may like it w/o paying too much:

Supersized Living in North Raleigh - Northridge Crossings

Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,017 times
I think you'd need to look at how much your rent is in NYC, compared to what the rent would be in a place you chose in NC. Times it by 12, then subtract out additional costs like a car (if you do not currently have one-don't forget to account for the $ spent on bus pass, subway, taxi ect). Without knowing your figures, my guess is-you'd be better off in NC and probably have a better quality of life for your family, particularly with the potential to purchase your own home at some point in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary