U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM

9,745 posts, read 28,596,488 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were thinking of heading over to Pittsboro this weekend to explore the area. Anybody have suggestions on places to check out or things to do there? Any good places to catch some live music or grab a bite to eat?

Thanks for the tips!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:57 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,682,115 times
The General Store Cafe for live music and for eating: General Store Cafe Home Page

S&T Soda Shoppe is great for diner type food and milkshakes. They don't seem to have a web site, but you can find reviews online.

I also just learned from the Independent that there is a new bar called the City Tap. The City Tap Let us know how it is!

There are lots of good antique shops, and also local craft stores (who want you to know that there aren't just antiques in Pittsboro): Pittsboro: not just antiques: Columns: Letters to the Editor: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill

Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 AM

39,057 posts, read 67,653,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife and I were thinking of heading over to Pittsboro this weekend to explore the area. Anybody have suggestions on places to check out or things to do there? Any good places to catch some live music or grab a bite to eat?

Thanks for the tips!
It's a small, older town.
Walking the couple of downtown blocks and checking out shops is good.
You can do some antiquing.
I work with some ladies who absolutely love the vintage clothing store off the roundabout.
The back streets have some cool old homes.

Others can put better names on things, but I think a couple hours in town and a cruise around the surrounding beautiful countryside would be quite enjoyable.

Fresh camera batteries, NRG...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM

55 posts, read 167,034 times
The Soda Shoppe is always my favorite (I'm a Pittsboro native). Their banana splits are big enough for 2 people.

There are also a lot of antique shops in the area. There is one that specializes in French and African antiques. They always have interesting things!

Also there's Beggar's and Chooser's consignment shop if you want to do some browsing.

The General Store Cafe is newly renovated so you have to check that out.

There's a small museum inside of the courthouse that may be open. It shows the history of the town.

A little out of town is the Carolina Brewery (on 15-501 in the Lowe's shopping center). They have live music on Saturday nights and a really nice atmosphere. Awesome food too!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,242,743 times
There are a few other shops along the street that has Beggars & Choosers. Those are fun for browsings too.

I always stop at the Chatham Marketplace (a food co-op) 480 Hillsboro St. It's in an old converted mill. Cool space. Has a front porch area to enjoy your coffee or such. Coffee bar in the back.

And for the brave, there is the Carnivore Preservation Trust. (Goggle them for directions). They have tigers, jaguars, leopards, etc. But it's a small non-profit group that owns and runs it and the facilities do not look the most "professional" or "zoo like". HOWEVER, I've only driven by, and never been in. Maybe they are better prepared than the SF Zoo was. It's weird seeing these animals so near a country road. Worth driving by if nothing else.

Also on the way to or from Pittsboro, stop by Fearrington Village right on 15/501 if you haven't been there before. They have the famous belted Galloway Cows and they even have belted goats. I love the bookstore there. And I love the whimsical whirligigs that they have... fun for photographing.

Edit: One last place!!! I've never checked this out, but my sister says it's great! Clyde Jones's Critter Crossing in Bynum (near Pittsboro). He's a folk artist and from what I've read about him he seems like a real character. He makde it on roadsideamerica.com. But if you google him you'll find our more and how to find him.

Last edited by PDXmom; 08-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: I forgot Clyde!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 AM

152 posts, read 510,812 times
I've been to Carnivore Preservation Trust. We took a scout group. It was very educational. We had a private tour which was very safe. It is definitly a smaller non-profit establishment so it seems primitive and rugged. Still it well worth it if you have time or a group. They have a great website. We did a community service project by helping to create "enrichment" toys for the animals (paper mache' balloons that were cut and stuffed with meat or scented items.). Don't wear your best clothes. A nice cause, nice staff, and very interesting for adults & kids.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:47 PM

9,745 posts, read 28,596,488 times
Thumbs up Thumbs up to all of you!

I wanted to thank all of you who took the time to respond to this post. Positive reps to all of you. My wife and I went out to Pittsboro yesterday and based on your great recommendations we had one of our best days ever here in the Triangle. We had lunch at the Country Store Cafe and desert at S &T Soda Shop. I am very glad you all recommended those spots and I am looking forward to getting back to the Country Store to catch some live music on their great statge. The double scoop hot fudge sundae from S&T was one of the best I've ever had! We also checked out several antique and vintage clothing shops and visited the Chatham Marketplace up the road to get some organic vegetables. To top it all off there were massage therapists from the Massage School in Siler City there yesterday giving free 15 minute chair massages. That really made our day! On the way out of town we hit Fearrington Village it and was a real treat to check that area out. All in all it made for a terrific day trip and best of all it only took 50 minutes to get there from our home in North Raleigh. Thanks again for the great tips!

Pictures from our visit:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tsboro-nc.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-village.html

Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM

106 posts, read 477,320 times
This post is from last year but hubby and I just got back from our little visit to Pittsboro, thanks to all of your suggestions! What a nice town with nice people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary