Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 20,210 times

Advertisements

Go to www.familywatchdog.us. You can search for registered sex offenders in any area by using an address, city, or zip code. For example, zip 27519 shows that there are 29 registered offenders living in this area. It will show their offense, address, and picture. Keep your children safe!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Why stop there? Make 'em go to college nearby and live at home, so you can keep a closer eye on them.

And yes, I am a parent.
I know someone who did that and his daughter became very promiscuous and smoked a lot of pot.

Of course she ended up becoming a doctor so maybe in the end it all evens out...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:03 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
I've always wondered, what is one supposed to do with the sex offender information? Print out their pictures, memorize them, and then scan around while on walks to make sure they're not hanging out nearby? I'm not opposed to having the information, I'm just wondering what use someone like me is supposed to make of it.

In my old hometown, someone took the time to laminate and post multiple information sheets about a sex offender who lived about 1/2 mile away. I never did figure out who did that or what the posts were supposed to accomplish. I'm suspicious about any single man roaming around a child's playground without evident kids or other family nearby, so it didn't really factor into my activities with the kids much.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
The parents didn't pay attention to internet usage, cell phone usage, where he was going, with whom, when he would be back.

Why not just give the kid his own apartment?

Not saying the sex offender isn't at fault at all, he is and should pay, but I don't think he would have had such a easy target in this child if the parents were doing their job. This was a 100% avoidable situation, not a tire blowing out.
Maybe the parents could have done some diligence and made it harder for this to happen. Sounds like it but I don't know positively because I don't know the entire story. Regardless, nothing is 100% avoidable UNLESS you can predict the future.

It sounds like you and others are taking good measures with your children, I like to think that my wife and I do as well. I do however recognize that no one is perfect and to assume that you are doing ALL of the right things with your kids is a mistake itself.

As a parent I feel I need to be as protective as possible and give my child a chance to succeed but I can't be naive enough to think that despite our efforts she won't at some point waiver. You're human; you'll make mistakes parenting. Your kids are human and they'll make mistakes being kids.

Last edited by tlh1005; 08-08-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Why stop there? Make 'em go to college nearby and live at home, so you can keep a closer eye on them.

And yes, I am a parent.

This is a child we are talking about. Correct? 12 is still a CHILD.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:53 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
This is a child we are talking about. Correct? 12 is still a CHILD.
Sure. My response was to someone who was going to keep the computer in the family room 'til they left the house.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Sure. My response was to someone who was going to keep the computer in the family room 'til they left the house.
That was me

And I stand by it! Having one eye on the computer screen when a younger child is on it is a very, very good idea.....(ever see "To Catch a Predator"?)

College age would not fall under that criteria

Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
That was me

And my job experience is such that it has solidified my opinion that having one eye on the computer screen when a younger child is on it is a very, very good idea.....

College age would not fall under that criteria
I agree with you.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,210 times
Quote:
I've always wondered, what is one supposed to do with the sex offender information? Print out their pictures, memorize them, and then scan around while on walks to make sure they're not hanging out nearby? I'm not opposed to having the information, I'm just wondering what use someone like me is supposed to make of it.

In my old hometown, someone took the time to laminate and post multiple information sheets about a sex offender who lived about 1/2 mile away. I never did figure out who did that or what the posts were supposed to accomplish. I'm suspicious about any single man roaming around a child's playground without evident kids or other family nearby, so it didn't really factor into my activities with the kids much.
The information is available for everyone. What each person choses to do with that info is up to them. I certainly don't advocate camping in the offenders front yard while holding warning signs. But I think this type of web site is helpful to people moving into an area that they are unfamiliar with. I sure would not want to purchase a home that is next door or down the street from an offender.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
Quote:
There was a man on the sex offender registry in Carrboro that walked past our house periodically and worked at a local grocery store. I avoided his line if he was bagging and also went inside if he walked by. That's all I'd do, just avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary