Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM

100 posts, read 326,455 times

Advertisements

I know this is a subject that has gone bad in most posts. I really LOVE Long Island - but the high cost of things is forcing us to leave. I know in this day and age it is a lot to wish for, but we have a 1 year-old and want to have another child - we would like for me to be able to stay home to raise them until they are school-aged.

We visited Charlotte in January because hubby's boss moved there and opened his own business. He offered hubby a job with him. We liked the area, but for me for some reason I felt uneasy and not comfortable. Maybe it was the fact that all I saw were roads going in and new chain stores being built all over. We liked the Denver area best and even found a house we liked. On our way back to LI, we visited friends in Wake Forest. We both agreed that it was a better opportunity for hubby being in the Tech field to live in the Triangle area. (Hubby works in Systems Support for a major company based here on Long Island) We found a house we liked there as well. We were even planning another trip down this month - but TN came into the picture and we are going there instead. Also, RDU/Wake is closer to LI so my trip to visit my LI family would be a shorter trip.

I have family in TN... some in Kingston, Hermitage, Lebanon & Mt. Juliet. I have not been to visit in 12 years. We will be going down to look around at the opportunities available to us. Of course, that 9 hour trip is now 14+ hours if we moved to TN.

My thing is that for some reason, even without visiting TN again - it scares me. I have family there and I should be more comfortable, but I am not. I know I should wait to visit first then make up my mind... but I feel like NC has more to offer as far as jobs go and also closer to home.

We would have gone back to NC, but we are afraid that we will be in the same situation that we are now as the population growth is so huge. We don't want to have to pick up and go because of high taxes and such and hubby feels TN has a longer way to go than NC to reach that point.

My question here is: is there any place that I can find reliable job market info? I read a lot on this board and to tell you the truth you don't know what the story is behind people's job searches. I mean someone could post "I can't find work" while they won't settle for a "lesser position" and someone could post "I found work in 5 minutes" and be willing to pick up a shovel... know what I mean?

Let me add that we do not want a McMansion... we would like to even be in a small house. We just want a chance to live life a little. Hubby works a day job and then another at night. Day job forced him to work this past weekend - 14 hours/day without pay - he is salaried. This happens a LOT. We have no family life because either $ or work gets in the way. I sincerely do not want to leave LI... I was born here... It is sad that I have to think of moving away from a place I have been all my life

Sorry post is so long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,004 times
Wow. Your post really touched me. Your story is a microcosm of the plight of so many Americans right now. Our quality of life is in the hopper and yet no one in the media or politics seems to really be acknowledging the depth of the problems...

Job availability is HIGHLY dependent on the individual. Try a site like www.worktriangle.com to search for jobs your husband might be able to do. If you see gobs of ads to which he replies "hey, I could do that!", then the Triangle may be the place for you guys. In general, this area has been very recession-proof for lots of job types.

I feel your pain in regards to not wanting to leave your home. I've been wanting to go BACK to mine for years, but I could not afford to do so. The South is affordable, that's for sure!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Don't trade happiness for lower cost housing.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I agree with Saturnfan. "There's no place like home," or what one feels is their true home.
best,
toodie

Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM

I appreciate your replies! Any suggestions for investigating jobs in the Wake Forest/RDU or Charlotte/Lake Norman areas? Is there anything in these areas that we truly cannot leave without seeing? Meaning we are trying to get a feel for living in these areas. When we were in the Lake Norman area, we only knew of stores that were about 20-30 minutes away.

The fighting to stay afloat with such high taxes and mortgage is the main reason for unhappiness. Hubby is also not that happy at work anymore. And we will not be able to get away from the high costs of living here unless we move on.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM

Thank you for your replies! I actually searched the internet for this information and of course this board... but again you don't know what anyone is doing (or not doing) to find a job.
Hubby's attitude is a good one. He is a dependable hard worker and has a lot to offer in his field. He has the attitude that "McDonald's is always hiring" and will do anything until the right job comes along. (scares me though!)
We rely on the internet as more than half of our money and it can all be gone tomorrow. That is no way to live. It is too much pressure on him and it is not fair.
All we want is a chance at life in a nice place with nice people. We are friendly, simple people who just want a chance...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
LI2South, has your husband checked any national or regional organizations that specialize in his career field? They may have a branch in the Triangle region with a list of affiliated companies that may be hiring. It's worth a try.

I think you should try to keep an open mind about Tennessee. I had certain perceptions about that area until one of my best friends moved to Nashville a few years ago. She absolutely loved that town. Career opportunities have since taken her elsewhere, but she hopes she can find her way back to Nashville someday. I'm not trying to scare you away from North Carolina. Just trying to offer a little encouragement.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
The tech industry here is fairly strong. Things will ebb and flow with the national economy, which of course pretty much blows right now. But this area should tend to outpace others as far as job opportunities. I don't really know anyone in a tech field that feels like they need to work two jobs to live a very comfortable life here.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default The agony and the ecstasy

It’s difficult to handle change isn’t it?

LI2South, I can feel the anguish in every word that you write. Believe me when I tell you that I completely understand. You’ve just got to get your mind around the fact that no matter how much we desperately want things to stay the same that just can not happen. Life is ultimately about change and finding a way to enjoy the game of life even though we keep getting thrown curve balls.

I remember when I was a very young boy and life just felt so perfect. For whatever reason I just wanted to freeze that moment in time and feel that way forever; alas it was not to be. As I grew older, and wiser, I came to understand that we must feel pain so that we may better understand and appreciate joy.

Your family faces many tough decisions on the bumpy road ahead. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll make the right choices if you move forward in hope and not in fear.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Well, it sounds to me like you're headed south and it's pretty much a sure thing. So if that's the case, I'll just say that the only thing I would highly recommend is that you do not buy a home here or anywhere until you live there for several months.

Visiting and driving through areas is one thing, but actually living there is another. And around here that would take about six months of getting familiar with the surroundings.

Sounds also like the Triangle would be a place you'd enjoy because there further west in the state or into TN makes one feel kind of like they're too far away from NYC or New England. From here, you could drive if you had to, to NY in one day easy. An flight would be less expensive than from the other locations, and also you still have that "East Coast" feeling here. That's just my opinion, of course.

I drove out to Winston-Salem and Greensboro and even Asheville and Raleigh is the choice that suited me best because I didn't feel land-locked. I know what you're going through, and hope it becomes easier to see the path that's best for all of you.
best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary