Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 AM

128 posts, read 345,899 times

Advertisements

My grandfather has decided that he wants to give me his handgun. What steps would I need to take to get this registered with the state? Is it true you only need to register if you live in Durham county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 AM

569 posts, read 1,978,110 times
NC law says you have to get a permit from the county sheriff to buy or to transfer ownership of a handgun. It is a permit to buy or transfer, not technically a registration. See section 2B here. http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/200...Laws%20Pub.pdf

Don't know know if Durham has additional requirements, but I don't think so.

PS That pdf says you would need a permit even if you were to inherit it from him which is something I didn't know before. I also read that pdf near the bottom and it does say that Durham has a registration requirement.

Last edited by jeffs555; 12-06-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,706 times
In Wake County, to purchase or receive a handgun, you need a permit. The permit is given to the individual who sells or gives you the handgun. A permit is $5 (or was a few years ago) at the Wake County sheriff office. You need to go down to the office, fill out the paperwork, wait the period of time they require, and then you can go back and buy the permit. You can buy more than one permit. Some people buy 5 at a time just to have in case they want to purchase another handgun in the future. Go get a permit and give it to your grandfather. He just keeps it on file and has it available to show authorities that he legally gave away/sold the handgun to someone else if the handgun is ever used in a crime or lost and found.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,890 times
what county are you in? durham and wake. you need a permit. to get a permit you need two references and 5 bucks.

in durham you need to register the gun at the court house in downtown durham. you will need make, model and serial number.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Like everyone says it's 5 dollars a handgun, you get a background check and it took me about 7 days in Wake county to get my permits. The person that sells you the gun is supposed to retain that permit that you provide forever. I am not sure how inheriting a gun would work.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
If owner bought the gun legally in another state (either through an FFL or private party if the state allows) and he/she has moved to NC, no registration is necessary. The permit is only to purchase a handgun. Only freakishly OCD states like NJ, etc require the "registration" of a firearm.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM

128 posts, read 345,899 times
Thanks for all this information! This is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary