U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,610,169 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you can watch the town meetings on tv & see a developer get up & brag about open space, & then a board member will point out that most of waht is being bragged about as some sort of
"gift" is required to be open- for instance, creek buffers & sewer easements!
But, then the board just goes along & votes yes on the project after the faint criticism, instead of demanding lower densidty or a big piece of land for a public park or school or something. Ah, politics!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM

693 posts, read 2,648,084 times
I've been to a home in Bedford. The house was pretty but it was small and had NO yard (or as they call it... "courtyard"). It was for sale for $365K. For this price you can get a house twice the size and WITH a nice yard somewhere else in Holly Springs, Apex, etc.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 AM

460 posts, read 2,330,676 times
I investigated Bedford. It looks like a movie set. It also looks like the stepford wives movie. It's way too planned for my tastes. It touts being the best "planned" community. Although it looks nostalgic, I don't care for that. Cookie cutter houses make my skin crawl.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 AM

196 posts, read 732,828 times
I appreciate all the pictures but the crammed in feeling being so close to neighbors is too much. And I live in Jersey but we have land. Again thank you.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,225,399 times
We've been in Bedford for two weeks today, and we love it. I enjoy being close to my neighbors, who have turned out to be some od the friendliest people I've ever known. There is so much common space and so many people around...I love it!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:20 PM

798 posts, read 3,061,268 times
It's cute, I like it but....shouldn't it read "Stepford?" ;D Just kiddn

Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 AM

9,743 posts, read 28,587,204 times
Thumbs up Retail coming to Bedford in Spring 2008

I was driving through Bedford the other day and noticed some signs up in a small vacant field close to the area where the clock tower is and where the old farmer's market was located. It looks like there are plans to develop the vacant field into some sort of retail development. The Sign advertised a fitness gym (Anytime Fitness) and a Pizza place (Cinelli's Pizza). There is also a sign for a daycare center (The Growing Years).

I really hope they get some place like a coffee shop or similar as I can easily walk to this location even though I do not live in Bedford. I am looking forward to the convenience!

Map showing location of future retail site in Bedford with the clock tower marked as a land mark.

Vacant Lot in Bedford that is slated for retail development in Spring 2008

Signs advertising some of the businesses planned

Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 AM

551 posts, read 1,779,882 times
Another vote for a coffee shop, from one who lives in Bedford. A convenience store would be good too.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 PM

97 posts, read 330,991 times
How much do theese homes run?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,597,283 times
I'm actually amazed at the number of 'cookie cutter' homes that exist out here. But what I don't care for is the lack of quality and design aesthetics. A great deal of development in and around RDU appears cheap, commercial grade and do not seem like they will stand the test of time well. That's how I see it and have experienced it elsewhere, of course.

But developers put up a lot of crap in other states too, so it's not exclusive to NC. I just think there's more of it here than, say, where I grew up. Maybe it's because profit margins weren't as great here as they were in CA. I just think aesthetics should come into play more when considering a development, along with all the other elements that come with developing an area (i.e. community shared areas, utility accessibility, building codes, parking, etc.).

But staying on topic when it comes to Bedford, I like Bedford a lot. Not all the building designs I care for, but I am impressed that there exists an attempt to create vintage design in a state that has far more history than say, California (I hadn't seen a lot of vintage design in CA, but a lot of Mediterranean/Italian style, though).

I particularly like what Preservation Homes is doing and the quality of craftsmanship they put into their homes. Like all developers, their product is certainly built to create profit, but I enoyed most of their floorplans and styles. I'd love to see more of their work and quality copied rather than see more developments built with vinyl side walls that sometimes do not even have a window on a large side of a two/three story home.

As for the close quarters, I'm sort of used to that myself. I enjoy living close to my neighbors and creating a bond. One just hopes that the neighbor buying or moving in next door is kind and respectful. Unfortunately, we cannot choose our neighbors, so living so close in proximity with a neighbor that makes a positive impact can be a crapshoot.

Unfortunately, most of the prices there are such now that we cannot afford them at this time what with all the pressing economic issues at hand right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary