Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I notice there has been a lot of talk about Bedford on this forum. I live next to Bedford and often go jogging and roller-blading through it, so today when I went rollerblading around the community I snapped a few pics. I figured it might help folks from out of state who are interested get a better idiea of what it looks like. These pictures were taken on 1-27-07.

Entrance to Bedford off Falls of The Neuse Road

Fountain Along Entrance Road

Some Views of the Cottage Style Homes

View Looking Down Street at Cottage Style Homes

The Hayes Barton Collection Homes

View of Garages and parking behind some of the homes

A Charleston Style Home

View Looking Down A Stree of Charleston Style Homes

An Estate Home Maybe?

Another Cool Looking House

A Gazebo Area

The Clock Tower Area

The Clock Tower Close-up

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 01-27-2007 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 29,223 times
Pictures were very nice and do help give a sense of the area. Thanks for doing this.

Some houses look a little tight.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 AM

18 posts, read 64,280 times
houses look very close together any developments with room or they all like that

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbunnie View Post
houses look very close together any developments with room or they all like that
Small lot lines and close development are par for the course with New Urbanist architecture and developments, aimed around creating more walkable communities, closer connections to neighbors, etc. Of course, the cynic in me thinks that some developers find New Urbanism an intriguing concept to increase building density and thus profits instead of "building community," but that's just me!

There are plenty of areas without these features, though you're going to see more and more communities take this shape (for both the idealistic and pragmatic reasons above.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
Great photos! Thanks for posting.

We were just there last week checking it out - it's a really nice development. Yes, some of the lots are small, but there are also larger lots too, some backing to "ponds/lakes." Of course, those houses are more expensive.

They have great playgrounds there too and it looks to be a very family friendly development. Falls of Neuse Rd is gorgeous, though I imagine it's tricky during rush hour. If you turn right out of the develpment onto Falls of Neuse and drive for a couple minutes, you'll pass over the river, which is really pretty. There were people kayaking at the base of the dam when we drove by - very cool!

Certainly, developments like these aren't for everyone. However, aside from our concern about rush hour traffic on Falls of Neuse, and the fact that it seems pretty far away from the city, we really liked it a lot. That's from a family perspective though. If we didn't have kids, we wouldn't live there, so it just depends on your situation.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
I love Bedford, for the most part. Yes, lot sizes are smaller, but that's less to maintain. And having a smaller lot means more opportunity to make a colorful landscaped impact (like many in the older part have done with their small areas -- intimate and very nice). And even in close proximity of each other, if you have great neighbors on either side of you, then you are styling (hopefully not the opposite). I do know a lot of people want a lot of land, but I've seen a lot of big lots elsewhere, and the owners simply do nothing to help dress up the appeal and make the neighborhood look nicer. Bedford has a lot of greenbelts too to make up for it. If anyone knows of a great undervalued deal, I'd be interested (though I highly doubt it cuz that area seems to be in demand -- but one never knows -- somebody could be going through a foreclosure .

Great work, NRG!

Old 01-27-2007, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 226,404 times
That was a very considerate thing to do. You are a great neighbor!!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:54 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
The cottages remind me of Queens- all the good, (& the bad) of Queens. I think those places are an awesome option, especially for younger buyers.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 397,034 times
That was awesome work!

We were so surprised to see the area live after looking at tons of printed realtor material a few months back. Pictures like that (instead of individual houses cropped to hide the neighbors) are absolutely illuminating.

gingerbunnie: you would not believe how small a 0.15 acre lot looks with a beautiful new 3000 square foot house on it. Then to see fifty of them all lined up next to each other.

Some people find it aesthetically pleasing, just not me.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 397,034 times
Don't suppose another aspiring photo-journalist has time to take a spin through Kensington Manor up in Wake Forest? I'm not even sure if that one is built up yet, but the artists renditions look nice for an elbow-room lover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary