Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,374 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother looking to relocate from NJ within the next year. My son will be entering the 7th grade by that time. I ruled out Florida and Texas and have narrowed down my relocation choices to the Triangle area and southern California (two very extremely different options) and am having a hard time making a decision. My concern is that I have seen people in previous posts state that because of the growth in the area, the school districts have opted for a year round schedule, and also that if you buy a home in a particular area based on the schools, your child may not necessarily end up in those schools and may be bussed clear across town to some other school. I am wondering if any northern transplants have come across this problem and also how people feel about the quality of the schools in general, also if they are happy in NC after relocating....any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I am a single mother looking to relocate from NJ within the next year. My son will be entering the 7th grade by that time. I ruled out Florida and Texas and have narrowed down my relocation choices to the Triangle area and southern California (two very extremely different options) and am having a hard time making a decision. My concern is that I have seen people in previous posts state that because of the growth in the area, the school districts have opted for a year round schedule, and also that if you buy a home in a particular area based on the schools, your child may not necessarily end up in those schools and may be bussed clear across town to some other school. I am wondering if any northern transplants have come across this problem and also how people feel about the quality of the schools in general, also if they are happy in NC after relocating....any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Wake County (which includes Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Clayton) redistricts pretty frequently in an attempt to equalize the economic make-up of the students at the different schools; the other area school systems don't. Wake County also has some year-round schools (not high schools, though); the other school districts don't. Search the forum for year-round schools and Wake county schools -- you'll find lots of discussions, like this one and this one and this one.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 PM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
We recentlly moved from Southern California. I don't know what part of Southern California you are considering, but many families are leaving that area due to the high cost of living. Our family is much happier in North Carolina and we would encourage others to move here from Southern California.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Wake County (which includes Cary, Raleigh, Apex, Clayton)
I'm sure it was just an oversight, but I wanted to point out that Clayton is not in Wake county but is in Johnston County. Johnston County has its own school system.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sure it was just an oversight, but I wanted to point out that Clayton is not in Wake county but is in Johnston County. Johnston County has its own school system.
Oversight would imply that it wasn't a product of ignorance. Sorry -- still working on the geography!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV2NC View Post
We recentlly moved from Southern California. I don't know what part of Southern California you are considering, but many families are leaving that area due to the high cost of living. Our family is much happier in North Carolina and we would encourage others to move here from Southern California.

IMO, there is nowhere in the country that has a higher cost of living than Bergen County, NJ, which is where I reside. I pay over $1800 in property taxes every 3 months for a WWII era Cape Cod (circa 1942) that is $900 sq feet. My parents pay over $14K and my brother over $10K per annum for somewhat larger homes in the same town. Some surrounding towns are $34K/annually and up (just property tax, doesn't include state, federal, soc security, and state income tax, to name a few, we are taxed TO DEATH here). Homes in this town are as high as $1 million with no yard, very little property, and no amenities (no golf courses or community pool, I pay $600/year to belong to the private town swim club). I can't park in my one car DETACHED garage because it is filled with bikes, shovels, a snowblower, a lawnmower and tools. Thank God I have a decent basement or I would really have no room. I have to leave the bathroom door open if I use it because my son will of course have to go at the same time I do (thanks, Murphy's Law), which means he has to pee in the tub. So southern California doesn't scare me one bit. I was actually looking at Temecula/Murietta, because I can sell my house for about $350-400K, since property is SKY HIGH here, and buy a new house for about the same in both of those areas. I have been looking at McMillin builders in Temecula (10K sq ft clubhouse, playgrounds, planned parks, pool, golf course). My main concerns at this point are schools and weather. I don't like what I've heard about the Cary area and year round schooling and busing. No thanks to that. I hear the TVUSD (Temecula Valley Unified School District) is very good. Sooo...having lived on the east coast for many years, I am afraid I might hate the humidity (Socal is dry). Salaries are lacking imo in North Carolina as well. How are you finding your salaries and what field do you work in if I may ask?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
I don't like what I've heard about the Cary area and year round schooling and busing. No thanks to that.
Are you against year round school or busing or both? If you're set against year round school, then I'd agree -- Cary probably isn't for you. If you're against busing, then I'd ask you to look further than these boards and the hyperbole you see on them. Children are not "bussed across town" unless you choose to go to a magnet school in Raleigh. If you live in Raleigh and qualify for free and reduced lunch, then you may get bussed out to Cary, but you're not going to be bussed from Cary into Raleigh unless you choose to do so. You may get bussed from Cary to Apex, but that's like being bussed next door. The lines between towns here isn't nearly as drastic or obvious as it is up north.

I'm also a single mom who moved here from the NY area (Rockland County). I really like it here. I work in marketing, and my salary is lower, but my cost of living is a lot lower. There are a ton of jobs in healthcare down here. I think you'd do well.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM

I don't care for year round schooling. I have relatives in California who have this weird year-round schedule, some kids are off for a month in December, some in January some in March, so your child may attend school for 3 months and be off for a month, and other classmates may be in school while your child is not. In California, they assigned my nephew the "A" group, which was off in December. His friend was in the "B" group, and they were off in January. Also, some people indicated in previous posts that you could have an appropriate school down the street from your house, and after you buy your house so that your child can attend that school, you discover they want to send your child across town to a lesser rated school that is further from your home. I know the pay cut for me will be drastic. I work nights and have 13 years experience. The pay cut will be approx $20/hour from what I can tell. Is a 40% pay cut worth it? I'm just not sure if the housing savings will make up for it. My so has ADHD. Constant interruptions and instability in schools (for example, being in several different schools before he finishes the 8th grade), will cause a loss of momentum in his learning and be distracting for him. He needs structure. Summers off cause some regression in learning but studies have shown year round schooling can have a substantial negative impact. It's nice to know, though, that there are some northeners close to home that are there if I do decide to move. My cousin has lived in Nanuet for many years (speaking of Rockland County) and has already purchased his "retirement" home near Wilmington. I would definitely like to visit and check out the area. Do your kids like the schools? Are they as behind the North academically as everyone claims? Maybe I can look you up when I come to visit and you can show me around!! Thanks for the info.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'd have to agree with workingmomof2 that people tend to way over exaggerate the bussing stuff with comment like "being bussed across town" and "I don't want my kids on a bus two hours a day" and comments like that. You'll find most kids are in a school within 5-10 miles of their home unless they choose to go to a school farther away.

There are plenty of traditional calendar schools here as well. Plus all high schools are traditional calendar, so chances are with a 7th grader you can easily find a traditional calendar school and won't be forced out in the 8th grade anyway because those students are grandfathered in. What I'm saying is that if you find a house in Wake with a traditional calendar school for a 7th grader, you will not ever be faced with your student having to go YR if you choose not to.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
If I were you, I wouldn't limit your evaluation to Wake County. All of the school issues discussed are unique to Wake County (though as Lamishra points out, for a 7th grader the issue is pretty self-limited. High schools in Wake aren't year-round and start in 9th grade). Other school systems in the area include Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Orange County, Durham County, and Johnston County. There are major teaching hospitals with lots of nursing opportunities in Durham and Chapel Hill and both would be worth a look. You may find that more of the job opportunities are on that side of the Triangle and I'd definitely recommend looking for a short commute as well as a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary