Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:23 PM

16 posts, read 43,412 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking for advice and feedback from native Orange or Rockland county resident who has since relocated to raleigh, durham, chapel hill or cary area.

Any positive, negative or comparison information you could provide would be so helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
I'm not a native Orange or Rockland county resident, but I've lived in both (Harriman and Valley Cottage). There's no comparison. Life is so much better down here.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,986 times
Oh wow! I actually grew up in Monroe/Harriman my whole life until college. I came down here for college, fell in love with the area, then (against my better judgement) moved back up to work in Westchester county for a few years. THEN after 2 years of that craziness I transfered down here and have loved every minute of it. I've been "back" down here for 6 years now and would never look back.

My parents still live in Monroe & they're looking at relocating down here in the near future because of all the great things I've said about it & the many times they come to visit to escape the NY winters.

Here are my thoughts on comparisons:
- The quality of life is so much better down here. People are friendlier, seasons aren't as severe, and for anyone who loves the outdoors there is much more temperate weather to enjoy it.
- You can't beat the fact that your $ gets you so much more house than it does up in NY. I love the fact that I can buy a house 4X as expensive and pay less than 1/2 the property taxes too. Granted some of that goes to school taxes & Orange County schools are rated extremely highly, but it's just a general comment that you definitely get more house$ bang for the buck down here in NC
- More job opportunities down here without having to travel too far. Where I grew up in Monroe it was much more of a commuter town with seemily 50% of the folks commuting to either NYC or Westchester which puts a drain on $, high car mileage, lack of family time, etc.

If there's anything else you'd like to chat about in particular let me know, or feel free to DM me.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks for the feedback. we live in monroe/south blooming grove. we sold our house in april and we're really excited about seeing Cary area. i was hoping to hear all the positives so thanks again.

Is the housing market a buyer's market in cary area? Here in Orange if you had a home worth a million dollars three years ago its now worth half. Do you see alot of forsale signs and vacant homes on the market?

thanks again for the information!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM

75 posts, read 227,450 times
Well, I am not from Orange County. However, I did live in Dutchess County, not too far from the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge. I moved down here in April (Fuquay Varina).

You can PM me if you would like any more info from me.

Last edited by BPmode; 08-12-2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth323 View Post
thanks for the feedback. we live in monroe/south blooming grove. we sold our house in april and we're really excited about seeing Cary area. i was hoping to hear all the positives so thanks again.

Is the housing market a buyer's market in cary area? Here in Orange if you had a home worth a million dollars three years ago its now worth half. Do you see alot of forsale signs and vacant homes on the market?

thanks again for the information!
It's not as severe down here because the housing market wasn't as overinflated as it was up there. But builders are dealing and houses are sitting on the market a little longer than they were (in specific price ranges).

Old 08-13-2008, 01:05 AM

Thanks again. Can't wait to get down there.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 AM

26 posts, read 90,853 times
Default Moving to Chapel hill from Orange County ny

Hey. We are in the process of selling our house in Orange county, ny and moving to Chapel HIll.
Looking forward to the move. I hate nY winters!!!
jharris213

Old 11-08-2008, 06:55 AM

26 posts, read 90,853 times
Default Sold our house in NY - moving to CH

I am so excited to move to Chapel Hill.
We finally sold our house and got a place in Lake Hogan Farms. We are moving in early December!
One thing I can say about CH is that everyone I have spoken to on the phones regarding schools...drs....and anything else have been so nice and helpful on the phone. We will miss friends and family in NY, but I am really excited to start new in a great place!!
Thanks to all the advice I have gotten from this site!!
Jharris213: tape:

Old 11-08-2008, 12:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,504,004 times
You mean its not a blissful life being in the same county as the Orange County Chooper guys?? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary