Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:22 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Yes, Los Tres Magueyes is the worst! And for some reason they are everywhere in the Triangle.
Interesting.....I've heard of it but don't think I've ever been to one. Sounds like maybe I don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Went to Gonza for the first time, was not bad but pricey, at least more than I expect for this kind of food

Old 01-29-2017, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 57,281 times
Default Cinco de mayo

I honestly like Cinco De Mayo on Hwy 55 near the bojangles. They have the BEST salsa and salsa Verde

Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisexy View Post
I honestly like Cinco De Mayo on Hwy 55 near the bojangles. They have the BEST salsa and salsa Verde
Been there once.....I agree their chips and salsa was great. Also really fast service (even for a Mexican restaurant which are usually really fast to begin with).

Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Interesting.....I've heard of it but don't think I've ever been to one. Sounds like maybe I don't want to.
It is your typical, "American Mexican" food. Same menu as every other place that is similar.

My opinion is that for chips and salsa, cheep/good beer, and a descent menu of numbered combo dishes, they are about the same as others. The one exception is the location on Kildaire and Maynard in Cary, consistently aweful. (The ground beef looks and feels like it came out of a can marked ALPO.)

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
In all seriousness though.....has anyone ever had BAD Mexican food?!

Pretty sure I've enjoyed every mexican place where I've eaten. Taco Bell notwithstanding
Yep! I moved to Texas last year. I was sad when I realized that all of the Mexican food I had eaten in NC and in the Midwest was not very good. I've always wondered how they can bring the food out in 5 minutes at Mexican places in other states. My guess is that everything is just microwaved or popped in the oven.

But I guess there are always trade offs. The Mexican food is great here, but I'm not a fan of the BBQ.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:07 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Los Comales - Roxboro Rd., Durham
Super Taqueria - Roxboro Rd, Durham

If you do a search on Chowhound (I don't think I'm allowed to link) you'll find others - fortunately for you you've landed in an area of the state that has authentic Mexican! It's mainly in Durham - it was featured in Gourmet magazine :-D
The third post on this thread had the answer to this question. The taquerias on Roxboro Road in Durham are where to go for authentic Mexican food. The New York Times even had a write-up on the restaurants in that area. I highly recommend the pastor tacos especially if you are a first timer.

One quick note, Los Comales is now called Guanajuato Restaurant and is my current favorite.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/guanajuato-re...-durham-durham

Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
Well I have to ask, where do you go for Mexican food?
Honestly, I don't eat Mexican food here. I tried a few places--can't remember the names--and the food, at best, was bland and mediocre, so I just stopped looking. Might try a couple of the places suggested on this thread, though. You never know. . . .

Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Went to El Pollo Rico last night in Tarrymoore Square off Capital. Good stuff

Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Went to El Pollo Rico last night in Tarrymoore Square off Capital. Good stuff
Tell us more please! Near Miller Motte? How was the food? Adequate seating when busy? I know the area and would like to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary