Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:59 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,871,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post

The most important is that I switched feeder types. I now use a Hummzinger, which is a saucer. This is better because it doesn't have the nectar coming down from a tube, which can very easily leak. Leaking sugar water will attract bees, wasps and ants.
All my feeders are the Hummzinger's. They're a little pricey, but well worth it. I especially like the perches for sit down eating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,289,773 times
They are great, aren't they? My favorite part is how easy they are to clean.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:08 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,144,429 times
id never seen a humingbird before. then when my mom came to visit last weekend and we took her to the Duke gardens, we saw a little tiny one, and then a huge green one. right up next to us.... it was really cool!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM

15 posts, read 51,100 times
We've had a ton of females this year but I have only seen one male. Anyone else notice a difference this year?
We make our nectar and they have been draining it every two days. It is 1 cup of water warmed and add 1/4 cup of sugar. Stir until melted and then let cool.
We use the same feeder in the first post. I love watching them sit and relax on the rim of the feeder. It's perfect for them.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM

82 posts, read 277,463 times
Keep this site for next spring and you can go out and see the dates when people are seeing hummers in our area. They have historical data as well.

Hummingbird Migration Maps

You can also watch the dates to the south of us and know when they are coming.

We have 3 feeders and they drain them weekly. They are also not afraid of humans at all. I've held a feeder in my hand and had them drink out of it within about 5 minutes. First I move closer to the feeder a few minutes at a time and eventually they get used to you being there. Let them feed a few times with you beside the feeder, then pick it up and hold it. There's nothing like seeing one of them a foot from your face.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,088 times
I have 4 feeders, I fill them twice a day using a very thick sugar and water mixture. I have about 70 humming birds all the time now since they have bred in trees that are close to the feeders. They are very tame, sit on my hand when I change the feeders. the feeders are under my pagoda so as that is where we sit the birds just ignore people, they fly past us flutter around us, we can watch them from inches away from our faces, we have many differant coloured ones, they are not as pretty here in Sandiego as were the ones in Georga, but we do have ruby throated ones and green backed ones, but generally they are a lot darker in colour. Does anyone know if and when they are going to migrate from here please, or my sugar bill will be huge all winter as it is now

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM

40 posts, read 120,925 times
Yes we have them here in Cary, fighting over the feeders, sometimes 3 at a time. Some pics from last summer, haven't got any good ones this year yet. Patience...
Attached Thumbnails
For those of you enjoying Hummingbirds in the Triangle...-female-hummingbird-sm.jpg   For those of you enjoying Hummingbirds in the Triangle...-hummingbird-feeder-small2.jpg   For those of you enjoying Hummingbirds in the Triangle...-male-hummingbird-sm.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary