Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 AM

406 posts, read 787,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post

I think there's something wrong with me, but just can't pinpoint it, so I blame it on Raleigh
There is nothing wrong with you. I have been Unemployed for 7 months now and am getting desperate. The interesting thing is I have been getting more responses from out of state than here. Not looking forward to moving again but I will do what I need to do to survive. It's not Raleigh's fault however, the area was way overhyped in terms of it's job market. This isn't one of the best job markets int he Country...not even close. The unemloyment rate does not tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default To those who paid no attention to the man behind the curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
There is nothing wrong with you. I have been Unemployed for 7 months now and am getting desperate. The interesting thing is I have been getting more responses from out of state than here. Not looking forward to moving again but I will do what I need to do to survive. It's not Raleigh's fault however, the area was way overhyped in terms of it's job market. This isn't one of the best job markets int he Country...not even close. The unemloyment rate does not tell the whole story.
Many of us honest folks tried to warn people but for some strange reason many disregarded common sense and moved to Raleigh without a job or a strong support system in the area.

I’m very happy with the Triangle and although employers constantly beg my wife to return to the DC area I dread the thought of doing so. I literally have nightmares about the traffic and work environment up there and would rather live modestly here than wealthy there.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Many of us honest folks tried to warn people but for some strange reason many disregarded common sense and moved to Raleigh without a job or a strong support system in the area.

I’m very happy with the Triangle and although employers constantly beg my wife to return to the DC area I dread the thought of doing so. I literally have nightmares about the traffic and work environment up there and would rather live modestly here than wealthy there.
At least DC has the Metro.

I love Raleigh but sorely miss good mass transit.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM

292 posts, read 819,929 times
Quote:
I've tried all, RaleighLass. My dream is to make a difference in the public sector, but have tried public, private, not-for-profit, nonprofit - the whole gamut. Plus, I have experience that takes me from retail/teller up to middle management (Asst VP) in financial, insurance, recycling and hospitality. My resume lists communications primarily, but also marketing, volunteer management, and economic development.

I think there's something wrong with me, but just can't pinpoint it, so I blame it on Raleigh
I think the problem is your resume. You need to have more than one, in this day and age, if you have experience in many different areas. No employer wants to sift thru all your experience looking for the ones that match up with what they want. THey also don't want to be left wondering if you are going to leave financial services for a job in hospitality. Maybe you could use a career coach.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
I've tried all, RaleighLass. My dream is to make a difference in the public sector, but have tried public, private, not-for-profit, nonprofit - the whole gamut. Plus, I have experience that takes me from retail/teller up to middle management (Asst VP) in financial, insurance, recycling and hospitality. My resume lists communications primarily, but also marketing, volunteer management, and economic development.

You may already know or have done this, but here are some thoughts.

Have you been able to obtain any interviews? If so, how did they go, and, did you ask for feedback when you weren't hired. It could be the job market, but certainly you are right to question if you need to improve in any area of your presentation during an interview.

If you haven't gotten an interview, then I'd relook at whether or not your resume reflects your specific abilities as they relate to the job you are applying for. So many ppl don't customize their resume for each job (if needed). When I was recently looking to hire a staffer, I rec'd cover letters that were standardized & stated they had xyz skills, just as the job required. The problem was, the job didn't require those skills, they hadn't bothered to edit their cover letter.

Think of this saying: When the going gets tough, the tough get going What are you willing to do to find a job? If you are confident that you are 100% prepared with sample cover letter(s) and resume, the way you present yourself appearance wise, interview conduct, etc., then I have a suggestion. You need to start networking now if you haven't already. Get to know the community.

First, come up with a 2 minute mini presentation of yourself. Pick a non profit you wouldn't mind working for, do some web research of what they are doing, who is who, etc.. Call the director of the dept you'd like to work in, ask for 5 mins of their time and keep it to that. Share that you are considering a non profit career, (pls don't say you want to help ppl, put more thought into it), share a little about your background, ask and genuinly accept, their advice as to how you should go about this, being new to the community. Thank then for their time, end it at 5 mins, ask if they would mind taking a look at your resume & offer critique. If they feel it looks good, would they forward it to anyone who they think might be interested. Email it immed. w/another thanks. If they seen receptive ask if they would be willing to give you 15 mins -1/2 hr in person time to further the conversation and discuss their critique of your resume.

When you meet, ask about them - what did it take to get where they are, etc., be prepared with specific Q's about the industry, what it takes to succeed in this market, what the opportunities are here as the director sees them. Finally, ask for criticism, bring up specifics -end the mtg on time. Same day - get a handwritten thanks out in the mail.

Attend networking events...Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, NC Center for Non Profts website has some listed.

This is still one of those communities where knowing someone can get you a job...let us know how you are doing...lots of luck!

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Please keep warning them, I wish wish I had known better I guess I was blinded by the hype (my fault)

Old 11-22-2009, 01:54 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,775 times
Life is what you make it sometimes!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
We thank our lucky stars we live in an area that is economically so much better off than most of the country. Even with the long drawn out 2009 recession, we still see many jobs available here in the Triangle that we qualify for. We would never want to be stuck back where we came from.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
We thank our lucky stars we live in an area that is economically so much better off than most of the country. Even with the long drawn out 2009 recession, we still see many jobs available here in the Triangle that we qualify for. We would never want to be stuck back where we came from.
While it looks like things are going well for you, several of our regular posters here have not been as lucky. This is not the thread for prideful boasting about how GOOD things are for you - this thread has been one of commiserating by those who have been less fortunate.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:50 PM

393 posts, read 673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
While it looks like things are going well for you, several of our regular posters here have not been as lucky. This is not the thread for prideful boasting about how GOOD things are for you - this thread has been one of commiserating by those who have been less fortunate.
  1. I stated how "thankful" we are. I am not "boasting" how well off we are.
  2. I stated the fact that we have seen many jobs listed that we qualify for. That should be used as encouragement for others that there is indeed some hope out there.
  3. The thread is not about jumping in a pity pot with other folks. The OP asked questions and I am giving my input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary