Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
  1. I stated the fact that we have seen many jobs listed that we qualify for. That should be used as encouragement for others that there is indeed some hope out there.
Being qualified for a job on paper does not mean that in fact
-it is actually a real job opening; some places are required to advertise, even when they have an internal candidate who is the obvious replacement
-that one would pass the interview process over the intense, much-increased competition in the job market in this area right now.

Being "qualified" for a job on paper does not equate to being interviewed for it nor actually hired. Most of the people who are losing hope have already applied for dozens of jobs that they easily qualified for on paper, even gotten interviews for, but until you're actually hired, it's pretty meaningless. When several hundred other people are qualified for those same jobs, it takes more than meeting the on-paper requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
-it is actually a real job opening; some places are required to advertise, even when they have an internal candidate who is the obvious replacement
-that one would pass the interview process over the intense, much-increased competition in the job market in this area right now.

Being "qualified" for a job on paper does not equate to being interviewed for it nor actually hired. Most of the people who are losing hope have already applied for dozens of jobs that they easily qualified for on paper, even gotten interviews for, but until you're actually hired, it's pretty meaningless. When several hundred other people are qualified for those same jobs, it takes more than meeting the on-paper requirements.
Not saying we would get every job. Just saying one may stand a better chance here than "most" other places. One thing people need here is a college degree and a good one at that. It IS very competitive here. Many people that are out of work have found out the hard way they do not stack up against the competition. When times are lean, the cream rises to the top and the rest get tossed aside.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM

406 posts, read 787,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
While it looks like things are going well for you, several of our regular posters here have not been as lucky. This is not the thread for prideful boasting about how GOOD things are for you - this thread has been one of commiserating by those who have been less fortunate.
My thoughts exactly...some people lack the capacity for empathy.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
My thoughts exactly...some people lack the capacity for empathy.
Empathy will not get an unemployed person a job. The cold truth, good advice and hard work will.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,785 times
Quote:
Empathy will not get an unemployed person a job. The cold truth, good advice and hard work will.
Very true. And I appreciate all of the good advice. I can relate to hard work - even with an advanced degree, here in Raleigh I have bussed tables, sold jewelry in a department store, and scooped poop.

I think what should be addressed regarding employment in this area is that for every job opening, there are hundreds if not thousands of applicants - not only from the Triangle area, but from around the country. Employers no longer stick with "local" people to fill positions. Since it is a "highly desirable" MSA, it attracts many and there is no longer enough of the pie to go around.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
I think what should be addressed regarding employment in this area is that for every job opening, there are hundreds if not thousands of applicants - not only from the Triangle area, but from around the country.
This is a very important point - my boss received over 400 resumes in a matter of days when my position was posted. I'm pretty amazed I got an interview, let alone an offer. It was also the only interview I had in seven months of looking - I have a feeling if I didn't get this job, I'd still be looking (or studying to sit for the CPA exam, which was my backup plan).

It's definitely an eye opener when you realize that you are not only competing with local applicants, but highly qualified people from across the country. If you aren't exactly what the company is looking for, there'll be 10 other applicants who are. It's very tough to find a job here as a result.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Also, as mentioned elsewhere on this board, some recruiters post fake ads. They say it's a way for them to fill their coffers of available candidates "just in case" one of their clients has an opening.

As far as success coming from "hard work," this is the worst recession since the Great Depression. Many, many (MANY!) people have worked very, very hard ALL of their lives, and they have continued to do so, but now, due to the recession and nothing else, they are met with far less success.

Francois wrote:
Quote:

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM

406 posts, read 787,831 times
Quote:
Not saying we would get every job. When times are lean, the cream rises to the top and the rest get tossed aside.
I hope you don't decide to take every job...some people like skim milk.

Last edited by wjsluvskaz; 11-23-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
This is a very important point - my boss received over 400 resumes in a matter of days when my position was posted. I'm pretty amazed I got an interview, let alone an offer. It was also the only interview I had in seven months of looking - I have a feeling if I didn't get this job, I'd still be looking (or studying to sit for the CPA exam, which was my backup plan).

It's definitely an eye opener when you realize that you are not only competing with local applicants, but highly qualified people from across the country. If you aren't exactly what the company is looking for, there'll be 10 other applicants who are. It's very tough to find a job here as a result.
Yes, you are competing with ppl from other states as well as locally. Here's my experience with this -

Recently, I needed an entry-level staffer with approx 1 yr experience in a non profit. I posted an ad on NC Center for Non-Profits website, and placed no other ads. I rec'd approx. 90 resumes over the course of a week. A significant number of them came from out of state applicants, including ppl with Masters degrees. Many of these ppl called me, (ad said no calls) and were the most aggressive applicants, albeit polite They shared how they wanted to move to NC, had heard so much about the area. They told me when THEY would in town, and therefore available to interview. None of them asked when I planned to schedule interviews and if indeed their timeframe matched mine. As I needed to fill the position asap, I deciding to start weeding ppl out by asking them if they were offered a position in NC, when would they be available to start work. The replies were interesting to say the least! Basically, none of them could start within a 3wk - 1mt timeframe. Many had so many personal reasons, and contingencies that it was difficult to determine when they could start. Some even said it would take 2-3 mts for them to be here and ready to work, I found this absurd for an entry level position!

My preference was to hire someone living locally and reduce the unemployed list if possible, and to get someone into the job sooner as I desperately needed help. I ended up being able to do this; although that person had also recently moved here - but they were the most qualified candidate, and had established a residence. I would have considered someone from outside the area if everything was equal - skills, availability, etc..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:23 AM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
Quote:
Those alone do not guarantee getting a job in a given person's field, and definitely not in a timely manner in this economy... they're simply prerequisites. As far as empathy goes, well, knowing somebody at the company you're applying to is more important than ever right now for getting your resume a closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary