Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times

Advertisements

Those are great ideas....N Raleigh guy......I was just posting for ideas to take the kids to next week while we are visiting....

I worry about all the same things of the original poster....but I believe the move will be the best for all and with time and effort on our parts it will become our new home........

And I do think the meetup ideas are a great idea as long as you do it in a group setting and you have your spouse/boyfriend with you for safety purposes.....

good luck and it will fall into place it just takes time and adjustment.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Great post, NRG! It won't let me rep you again.

I go back and forth on my relocation. I moved here specifically for a job and had misgivings before I moved, mainly because I loved where I used to live (St. Petersburg, FL). I'd really like to live near the water again, or at least get out in the country a little more. Or to the other extreme - downtown Durham or Raleigh.

Meetup.com is definitely good, esp. if you live in Raleigh or Cary (much more going on there on meetup than in Durham and west).

Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM

286 posts, read 994,426 times
[quote=tabbcat;4815756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie228 View Post

I THIRD! I just moved here from Detroit and my husband and I don't know a soul.

My wife and I just came here a few months ago from Grand Rapids. I don't know if you're religious or not, but we've been trying to meet people at church. We're particularly looking to meet other young couples/newlyweds.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,002 times
Please don't move back to NY!!! Think of all the reasons you move from there!! I am a relocatee as well from NY, I live in Fuquay! I love it here and would not change it for anything!! I think you need to move a LITTLE close to civilization and move closer to Raleigh, the best part about that is the downtown Raleigh is taming with culture and plenty of things to do..not to mention a lot of the museums are free to go in!!! (Not like going to the NYC Museum of Natural history think of what the ticket price on that is!!!....NC's is free admission and way cooler!!!) I also know what you mean with the job think I looked for a job close to 5 months before landing the job I have now, so be patient (it takes folks a while to get back to you :-/ but sometime things work out) If you think I can help in anyway post me back!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Um. The NYC Natural History museum is between 50 and 100 times cooler than the NC Natural History museum.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
We as well just moved to North Carolins from Michigan. I too cry all the time. I feel like I could be in a another world. THings are different here. Everything has cost more than we thought so the money we thought we would have in the bank is not in the bank. I really miss my older kids and family. I have kids with us and that helps. I feel like I belong nowhere. Husband has a job. It seems I get mad whever I leave the house. To get new plates and license has been very costly. I failed the written test today. I'm 48 been driviing since I was 16 never failed a renewal test. It seem like everything is so complicated here. I was in Food Lion today. Got two packs of meat. Long line the cashier said do you have a card. A card for what. To scan. I said no, she says can you ask someone in line to borrow theirs. I said why. She said I can't get the one price without the card. The price wasn't exactly a sale to begin with. I then got mad and said if your store can't sell this meat with or without a card then I guess I will shop someplace else. I think I just at a point that I'm tired of being lost, sick of being in the dark. I'm Lutheran Missouri Synod I will have to drive 55 miles to go to church. It is just so hard. WE too have a year lease, my husband has a good job but I miss my family. WE too had big idea that people would come here and we would go home but money like always is a big problem. I know the Holidays are going to be very sad for me. I sure don't think there is anything wrong with this state or the area we live in. It just isn't my area.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM

286 posts, read 994,426 times
Moving to a new place is exciting and scary, and certainly very difficult when you have little support to fall back on. Most people who have a really difficult time moving here would probably say that it has way more to do with the people they left behind than the area itself. As long as you don't have connections here it can never feel like home. You just have to make very intentional efforts to make friends and get involved in things. I would suggest getting involved in a church.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
NC is a beautiful state, yes, but for some it's not an instant "falling in love with NC" feeling.

For some people who relocate, it's at least a two, three, or four year adjustment. It took me at least three years to decide to stay another three. And then another three. We'll see what happens next.
best,
toodie

Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 AM

78 posts, read 199,070 times
We moved here about a month ago and so far we like. Of course, in the past 40 days I have only spent 15 in NC, the rest of the time I have been in Chicago finishing the house to list.

Here is what I have observed. The area is beautiful. We have visitied Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Cary, Carborro, and spent last Sunday at the beach(wrightsville). We live in Morrisville and our part of the subdivision seems to be isolated. All of our neighbors are Indian and while semi-friendly, they are very private. After a little research I discovered that this is a cultural trait. This is somewhat bothersome becuase we moved from a great neighborhood, very friendly people with very diverese backgrounds. However, this is only temporary as we rented the house to get to know the different areas before we buy. Also, the situation improves almost daily. The neighbors are becoming more friendly and the community pool has provided an opportunity for some interaction.

As far as venturing out and seeing the area, I belive that there is something for everyone here. I suggest doing some research on this forum and reading about the different areas. For a quick dose of nature, head to the Duke Gardens. Plenty of flowers, trees, and wildlife to be seen.

Lastly, the decision to move can't labeled as good or bad. If you had decided to stay and never move, you would have always wondered "what if". You made a decision and you chose the path of chaos, you turned your life upside down. While this is temporary, it can be unsettling. Remember "why" you moved and "what" brought you to the area. Focus on the good rather than the different. Lastly, no matter what side of the political fence you are on, the area is beautiful.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
We moved from NJ in 2005 and we were both pretty miserable the first year. We missed everything about NJ....we didn't know anyone, the changes were so hard on us. The kids seemed to do okay.
I would say it took about a year for things to click into place....
I went back to NJ this summer and it was very nostalgic at first, but after a few days, I remembered why I had left and i really missed my new home in NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary