Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move from VA to NC and want to find out which will be a good place to move Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill. My job is going to be Durham. I am looking to buy a *NEW* house/townhouse/condo anything that is NEW and READILY AVAILABLE and falls in the range <$200K. Not sure how the housing market is there.

Also, I would like to move all my belongings from VA to NC and would like to know good and best deal movers. I am looking for movers that do everything for you but at the same time give the best deal and best service. Am I being realistic to think I can get someone like this in and under the range of <$1500? If not what is anyone of your experience in terms of average moving cost, I am looking at...

This is the first time I am moving in my life and had been local for ages to all good inputs are much much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snvrrv View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move from VA to NC and want to find out which will be a good place to move Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill. My job is going to be Durham. I am looking to buy a *NEW* house/townhouse/condo anything that is NEW and READILY AVAILABLE and falls in the range <$200K. Not sure how the housing market is there.

Also, I would like to move all my belongings from VA to NC and would like to know good and best deal movers. I am looking for movers that do everything for you but at the same time give the best deal and best service. Am I being realistic to think I can get someone like this in and under the range of <$1500? If not what is anyone of your experience in terms of average moving cost, I am looking at...

This is the first time I am moving in my life and had been local for ages to all good inputs are much much appreciated.

Thanks!
First, good luck with your move! It's a big change to go somewhere new for the first time.

I think most posters on this board are going to need to know a bit more about your interests and preferences to make recommendations, such as--

* In what kind of place do you want to live? A "suburban"-feeling town? A college/university town? Closer to a downtown area/nightlife?

* How important is a short commute to you? (Depending on where in the three cities you've named you end up, you could choose 10 minutes, or 30 minutes, or 45 minutes+ in traffic; all depends on what you're looking for.)

* What are you looking for in a community? Intellectual life and energy? Diversity? An upscale community? All of the above? :-)

* Where are you coming from in Virginia, and do you like it or want a change? If you like where you're from and want to live somewhere like it... then my question would be, is that Winchester, or Arlington, or Chesapeake, or South Hill, or Charlottesville?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,290 times
Default Details you asked for..

Hi! Thanks for your response and the details you asked for.. here are few things, I can tell upfront:

* In what kind of place do you want to live? A "suburban"-feeling town? A college/university town? Closer to a downtown area/nightlife?
ANSWER: SUBURBAN :-)! SHOULD BE NEARER TO DOWNTOWN BUT AWAY FROM THE RUSH/TRAFFIC/NARROW ROADS OF DOWNTOWN :-)!

* How important is a short commute to you? (Depending on where in the three cities you've named you end up, you could choose 10 minutes, or 30 minutes, or 45 minutes+ in traffic; all depends on what you're looking for.)
ANSWER: I AM FINE TO BE AWAY 10-20 MILES BUT THE COMMUTE SHOULD NOT BE TOO MUCH TRAFFIC. I WOULD PREFER MAX 20-30 MINUTE IN TRAFFIC ON AVERAGE.

* What are you looking for in a community? Intellectual life and energy? Diversity? An upscale community? All of the above? :-)
ANSWER: ALL OF THE ABOVE :-) KEY THING IS IT SHOULD BE DECENT AND SAFE COMMUNITY.

* Where are you coming from in Virginia, and do you like it or want a change? If you like where you're from and want to live somewhere like it... then my question would be, is that Winchester, or Arlington, or Chesapeake, or South Hill, or Charlottesville?
ANSWER: I LOVE VA. BUT "NOTHING IS PERMANENT EXCEPT CHANGE :-)" AND IT IS TIME FOR ME!! I LIVE IN South Riding(Loudon County) which is 22 miles away from DOWNTOWN D.C. AND HAS ALL THE ABOVE THAT YOU HAVE FOR A COMMUNITY.

KEEP IN MIND MY BUDGET IS MAX 200K FOR A HOME...

Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
For your price range, you'll get way more for your money in Durham than Chapel Hill or Cary. Some "shiny new" suburban subdivisions in the southern end, or the more established traditional "neighborhoods" in the western and/or northern parts.

And since you're working in Durham, you'll have the easiest commute...and in these time-pressed times, who couldn't use a shorter commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary