Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 19,333 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transffered to work in RTP and we are looking for a home to rent. We are a young couple (early 20's) with a 7 month old daughter and have spent all our lives in the Great Northwest. We are completely unfamiliar with the area. We would like any suggestions on good neighborhoods with nice homes for rent that have a short commute to RTP and are close to shopping centers, resturants, and childrens activities, schools are not an issue yet, because we are hoping that this is only a 2-3 year move. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Check apts too. More amenities.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM

15 posts, read 77,333 times
I would check for rentals & apartments near the Durham/Wake County line near the Brier Creek area. Depending on where you fall on this line you could have a Durham, Raleigh, or Morrisville address within a mile of the same spot. My husband works in RTP- 5 to 10 minute commute. (its why we bought in this area, previously we were in Cary)
Some of the things in this area are very expensive (in the country club) and some are very reasonable. Some are very new (esp. town homes and apartments) and some are established neighborhoods.
All are very close to shopping (grocery stores, Target, restaurants, etc) in or near Brier Creek Commons shopping center. Also, its 10 minutes down I-40 to Southpoint Mall and more shopping centers and restaurants.
For example, I've seen a couple of homes for rent on or in neighborhoods near Lumley Rd. The neighborhoods aren't typical "rental" so there are lots of families and you'll see kids on bikes or walking down to the pool & playground areas. A littler quieter than life in an apartment complex (just my opinion).

Another option would be to look in the Leesville Rd/Ray Rd/Strickland Rd. area of Raleigh. Its near Hwy 70 & I-540. And again, pretty easy commute into RTP and nice family neighborhoods.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks so much. We are definatly trying to avoid a apartment. We currently live in an spacious home, and i think it would be very hard to downsize to an apartment. We don't plan to buy for the sheer fact that we already own two homes, and are not sure how permenant this move will be. Any suggestions on childcare? I know that in our current area we are looking at a minimum 1 year waiting list to enroll our daughter, is it about the same there?

Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 AM

106 posts, read 403,355 times
You should join TriangleMommies.com--the Triangle area of North Carolina's Mom-to-Mom Connection.

They have a section on relocating and have daycare recommendations.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygann View Post
My husband is being transffered to work in RTP and we are looking for a home to rent. We are a young couple (early 20's) with a 7 month old daughter and have spent all our lives in the Great Northwest. We are completely unfamiliar with the area. We would like any suggestions on good neighborhoods with nice homes for rent that have a short commute to RTP and are close to shopping centers, resturants, and childrens activities, schools are not an issue yet, because we are hoping that this is only a 2-3 year move. Thanks!
If you go to Realtor.com, or any agent website, you can check on rentals.

There are many that meet your requirements. Then there is the topic of budget.
Are you in the $1000 range, or the $2000 range.
Average for "close to RTP" will be about $1300-$1600.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygann View Post
Do you know where he'll be working in RTP? Definitely look into that because RTP is larger than most people think (approx. 8 miles long by 2 miles wide).

When we first moved to the area, my husband and I rented a house that we found on HometownRent.com. You can also find rental homes on Craigslist.

I think you should add Durham onto your list of places to consider . My husband and I live in southern Durham & it's extremely convenient for us. Plenty of shopping (including the Streets at Southpoint mall) and restaurants & close to RTP, too. There are also a lot of young families here, but frankly I think that's true of just about anyplace in the Triangle.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
Try craigslist.com

Old 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM

140 posts, read 440,771 times
I'd like to reiterate Mrs Steel's advice that you try and find out where in the RTP your husband's job will be located -- the Brier Creek area is a great commute to the northern section but it would probably take an extra 10 minutes in rush hour traffic to get to/from the southern sections (still not a bad commute -- just a bit longer). Morrisville is a good option for the southern section but your commute would be a bit longer to the northern section. And south Durham offers locations that are good for either section. Personally I'm partial to South Durham but then again I live here and love it.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:46 PM

He would be working at Cisco so 7025 Kit Creek Rd.
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709. Not really sure what part of the Triangle that is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary