Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 81,204 times

Advertisements

Both families are coming in from out of town for thanksgiving and we have all day Friday and Saturday to entertain them. Would LOVE to go to Asheville but 4 hours is a bit far for a day trip.... any ideas of where to go? It will the weekend after Thanksgiving so most shopping malls, outlets, etc are probably out just because they will be swarmed but a little shopping here and there is okay. Ideas??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Wilmington? You can do the beach (which is usually still nice down that time of year), go downtown which is really pretty and relaxing. There are some neat little historic shops downtown called the Cotton Exchange which is nice to walk around. Take a boat ride on the river, eat at one of the very yummy restaurants down there.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
We've gone to Seagrove several times right around Thanksgiving and really enjoyed it, though you might want to call ahead to make sure the potteries are open. You basically drive from small pottery studio to small pottery studio. It is very scenic and it makes for good holiday shopping. Seagrove Area Potters Association NC - Official website of SAPA and Seagrove area pottery shops, stores, galleries, and studios around Moore, Montgomery, and Randolph Counties in North Carolina.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Another good idea would be Old Salem. It's a colonial/Moravian village in Winston Salem that is really popular around the holidays. I haven't been in a few years, but it's unique to NC, really beautiful around the holidays and has some interesting shopping. It's around 2 hours from the triangle.
http://www.oldsalem.org/

Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I've had people visit who requested specifically to hang out here at the house. One wanted to visit Duke Gardens, which was a day's worth of time. Another talked about how nice it would be to drive to Wrightsville Beach, but didn't have the energy or enthusiasm to endure a two-hour trip one way, and certainly didn't want to stay there overnight.

I think it's up to the guests and how much energy they have. Some people who work a lot like to just relax without making any day trips whatsoever.

Suggestions would be Atlantic City and Beaufort, Wrightsville Beach, Duke Gardens and Duke Chapel. Asheville and the mountains is a real hike, in my opinion.
best,
toodie

Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 AM

57 posts, read 246,050 times
Since families are involved, the NC Zoo in Asheboro might be a nice idea. It shouldn't be too cold yet at Thanksgiving, so walking outside might be nice. It takes 1.5 hours to drive from Raleigh (just follow Hwy 64 from Cary).

Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
This is a great book full of day trip ideas. I have this book, and it's full of wonderful information.

Another suggestion is Pilot Mountain and/or Mount Airy. Mount Airy is the inspiration for Mayberry, and is a sweet little town. If you go, be sure to stop at the Snappy Lunch for a pork chop sandwich.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:10 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,402 times
I was going to suggest the NC Zoo as well- we go every year and really enjoy it. We went with my inlaws to Seagrove and enjoyed visiting the potteries there- so I'd recommend that too. We just got back from an overnight to Wilmington/Wrightsville and had a great time.We hit the aquarium at Ft. Fisher while we were there. All are good choices.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I
Suggestions would be Atlantic City...
Wow, that's QUITE a hike from the Triangle! Perhaps you meant Atlantic BEACH?

Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

Appomattox Courthouse is a beautiful 2.5 hour drive from Raleigh(less from Derm-as we locals call it) located just outside of Farmville Va.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary