Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times

Advertisements

Ok, off topic, but aren't parts of Orange County not necessarily the Triangle? For example, Mebane, Efland, and that other one that starts with an S and has a really long name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Mebane is mostly in Alamance County. In my mind, it sits on the line where the Triangle ends and the Triad begins.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Seems like a lot of people considering moving to the Triangle area think RTP is a town. I think of it as a 7,000-acre corporate park that while containing a few dwelling units and retail space is basically just a large collection of office buildings in a nice centralized park like setting surrounded by the many towns and cities that make up the Triangle.

Sometimes I get the feeling that people use the term "RTP" and Triangle area interchangeably.
It's not much different than people who say "Frisco" instead of "San Francisco" (like nails on a chalkboard to those of us who lived there and count me in as guilty for saying "Frisco" before I moved there. There's even a chain of gift stores called "Don't Call It Frisco"). Or people who say Ore-GON instead of OR-y-gun.

I don't (yet) live in the Triangle area but you can add me to the mix of people who thought RTP/RDU/Triangle were all interchangeable and thought that Durham was one huge slum and hotbed of crime. I've only been down for a few visits but it was enough to educate me on both fronts--real fast!

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
There are no single family homes, condo's, or apartments located on the RTP land. There are also no restaurants, dry cleaners, nail salons, or Starbucks. . . . . Only office buildings . . . . . and a hotel (Radisson).

Is not some of Alexander within RTP? There is town homes inside the RTP Business Park sign or is that not RTP grounds? See I live here almost 5 years and worked in RTP for 3 and still am not sure where it begins and ends. Is Kittscreek within the RTP grounds or at least is adjacent to it, right? I am so confused now...... I believe I heard an advertisement on the radio last fall that was offering homes within RTP too....

Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Is not some of Alexander within RTP? There is town homes inside the RTP Business Park sign or is that not RTP grounds?
I'm not sure exactly where you are referring to. Here is a map of RTP showing streets, sites, etc.

http://www.rtp.org/files/Maps/map_with_list.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Is Kittscreek within the RTP grounds or at least is adjacent to it, right?
Adjacent to it. Check the map.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM

90 posts, read 237,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
There are no single family homes, condo's, or apartments located on the RTP land. There are also no restaurants, dry cleaners, nail salons, or Starbucks. . . . . Only office buildings . . . . . and a hotel (Radisson).

Correction. Davis Park, condos, row houses and lofts are in RTP. If you go to their website, it states they are in the heart of RTP. We have been looking at homes to buy and these are on the radar. There are apartments across the street.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
Correction. Davis Park, condos, row houses and lofts are in RTP. If you go to their website, it states they are in the heart of RTP. We have been looking at homes to buy and these are on the radar. There are apartments across the street.
Isn't Keystone Crossing in RTP as well (near the south tip of RTP)?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
That's a marketing thing. Davis Park is in Durham.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM

114 posts, read 373,297 times
I could be wrong about this but I think the charter of RTP indicates no residential (unless that was changed). Many places are popping up just outside and claim they are in RTP but in reality they are not.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtNC View Post
I could be wrong about this but I think the charter of RTP indicates no residential (unless that was changed). Many places are popping up just outside and claim they are in RTP but in reality they are not.
Yeah look at the map, it's very strategically drawn...Miami is one border...you can be driving down Miami and one side of the street is Edinborough at the Park apartments in Durham, and the other is RTP.

Heck, my office is in Imperial Center, which is a huge corp park type thing including Quintiles, and we're technically not RTP even though our address is listed as such - we're Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary