Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 27,715 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I would appreciate any info about special education programs/services in Wake County. We have a wonderful son with ADHD/learning disability. He's made tremendous improvements over the past 3 years and will be entering 5th grade this year. He will no longer be in a self contained classroom all day--only for math and reading. He receives OT twice weekly due to sensory integration disorder and fine motor delays. We have no behavioral issues with him and we run a very structured household. we keep him very busy with tutoring and extra-curricular activities.

We are currently investigating/researching relocation to a raleigh suburb. Somewhere in North Raleigh/Cary/Apex. Are there any supportive services--adhd summer camps, after school programs in any of these areas? if so what experience have you had with them?

What elementary/middle schools does your child attend class and what type of classroom is it? How many teachers/aides per class--Student ratio? How has your child progressed at this school? Are you happy with the teachers and administration--are they supportive of your child's needs?

Thankyou!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,128 times
Talking schools

My child just tracked out from Salem Middle in Apex. She started 6th at the beginning of July and just yesterday had her first Speech class. We had an IEP meeting and they are going to reevaluate her because her IEP we brought from out of state was not very clear to them here, and because she is starting to struggle again with math. Things are moving too slow for my liking, but I'm (trying) being patient. The teachers are very nice there. The Guidance Counselor is such a great person. I hated doing this, but we just moved to morrisville and now I will be enrolling her in a new school and she will finally be all settled.

They did not have aides in the classroom at Salem, but the Guidance Counselor's daughter who was out for the summer from high school came in to help my daughter with math. They also buddied her up with another classmate to help her a little. They also took her out of PE as a temporary measure, (while they are re evaluating her) and put her into a class where she is by herself mostly and they have a teacher work with her on things she needs help with. I don't like her not going to PE, but she has been going swimming in the evenings and taking walks. We are working on her making friends. She is very shy when it comes to social activities.

My daughter came so far in progress last year too and was taken out of math and reading resource and just placed in Speech. I'm going to try to put her in a traditional middle, they start Aug 25th. My daughter will actually be a little bit a head and that might give her the little boost she needs.

You can call this number, The special Education department for Wake County.
919-858-3151. I have had to call them a few times and they seem to be helpful.

That is so great that your child is doing so well and made so many improvements! It's a great feeling and makes you feel so proud!

I'm not sure if this helps you or not but I just wanted to reply to you.
Sorry for typos ect its 330 in the morning and time for me to go to bed lol!

Last edited by AutumnOrange3; 08-16-2008 at 01:49 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,238 times
Visit the Wake SEPTA (Special Education PTA). Parents involved in these sorts of groups generally keep themselves well-informed about the special education programs throughout the district and in individual schools, and can tell you the good, the bad, and the awful about special education programs.

dreamsncharms, best of luck! If the folks in school aren't moving rapidly enough, I'd keep putting on the pressure. You have a lot of federal rights (and maybe state, I don't know state law very well) to exercise, and exercising those rights is sometimes the only way to make sure your child gets the services she needs. You might also find Wake SEPTA's upcoming Wrightslaw conference (http://www.wakesepta.org/conference.html - broken link) interesting; I've found their books helpful.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for the info and that site. I will definitely be checking that out. That was very nice of you to post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Visit the Wake SEPTA (Special Education PTA). Parents involved in these sorts of groups generally keep themselves well-informed about the special education programs throughout the district and in individual schools, and can tell you the good, the bad, and the awful about special education programs.

dreamsncharms, best of luck! If the folks in school aren't moving rapidly enough, I'd keep putting on the pressure. You have a lot of federal rights (and maybe state, I don't know state law very well) to exercise, and exercising those rights is sometimes the only way to make sure your child gets the services she needs. You might also find Wake SEPTA's upcoming Wrightslaw conference (http://www.wakesepta.org/conference.html - broken link) interesting; I've found their books helpful.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,239 times
We came from NJ with a NJ IEP. First let me say, Special Ed here is no comparison from NY,NJ area. They simply do not have the resources to provide what we from NY, NJ area are accustomed to recieving. I had nightmarish times trying to get services for my LD child. In fact Wake County changed my sons IEP. There is no self contained LD classroom. They basically said to me it's " sink or swim". They put him in a regular class with 22 kids who all have no disability. They took away his PT even though he does not hold a pencil the correct way. He writes with his hand all twisted. He cannot even tie his shoes because he can't manipulate his fingers correctly. Believe me I have been working on this for YEARS. He is 9 yrs. old.

He's already been left back in 1st grade in NJ. Now, his end of year report card says promotion with intervention, but, there really is no intervention. Unfortunetly, my son is only reading at the 1st grade level. And they are putting him in 3rd grade.

Now on a positive note: I also have a rising 6th grader who has no learning disability and the schools are fine for her.

I almost left and went back to NJ because of the school problem for my son. I decided to hang in there and see what happens. I have been working extremely hard to get him to where he needs to be. But, all kids are not the same, they learn differently and at different speeds. I fear this will always be a problem right up to HS graduation.

I am leaving our options open, I'm going to see how this yr. goes and decide from there. There was less stress in NJ about this because the resources were there. He had alot of 1 on 1 throughout the entire day.

This is the only negative I have encountered here in Raleigh, unfortunetly this is a big problem.

I hope your situation turns out better then our's.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:14 AM

Default Nj

My child first started school in Morris County NJ and that is where they discovered her having a learning disability. They were amazing! Everything was so organized and everyone easy to contact and so helpful. Sometimes (I could kick myself for making the choice to move from there to AZ. in) I'm hopeful that I can find the kind of support my daughter had in NJ out here in NC even though it was so long ago. There is no self contained out here? They did mention in the recent IEP meeting here something about an "IRC" class or was it "ICR" class,that it was similar to self contained.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about tying the shoes. I worked for years with it with my daughter too. She got it perfectly finally at 10.
As far as holding a pencil, she goes through lead after lead since she presses so hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
We came from NJ with a NJ IEP. First let me say, Special Ed here is no comparison from NY,NJ area. They simply do not have the resources to provide what we from NY, NJ area are accustomed to recieving. I had nightmarish times trying to get services for my LD child. In fact Wake County changed my sons IEP. There is no self contained LD classroom. They basically said to me it's " sink or swim". They put him in a regular class with 22 kids who all have no disability. They took away his PT even though he does not hold a pencil the correct way. He writes with his hand all twisted. He cannot even tie his shoes because he can't manipulate his fingers correctly. Believe me I have been working on this for YEARS. He is 9 yrs. old.

He's already been left back in 1st grade in NJ. Now, his end of year report card says promotion with intervention, but, there really is no intervention. Unfortunetly, my son is only reading at the 1st grade level. And they are putting him in 3rd grade.

Now on a positive note: I also have a rising 6th grader who has no learning disability and the schools are fine for her.

I almost left and went back to NJ because of the school problem for my son. I decided to hang in there and see what happens. I have been working extremely hard to get him to where he needs to be. But, all kids are not the same, they learn differently and at different speeds. I fear this will always be a problem right up to HS graduation.

I am leaving our options open, I'm going to see how this yr. goes and decide from there. There was less stress in NJ about this because the resources were there. He had alot of 1 on 1 throughout the entire day.

This is the only negative I have encountered here in Raleigh, unfortunetly this is a big problem.

I hope your situation turns out better then our's.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
I don't mean for this to sound mean, but your taxes in NJ were probably 4 times what they are here. There is a reason you moved to NC and I'm sure part of it, if not most of that reason was for a cheaper cost of living. Schools here probably do not have the same resources as most NJ schools, because they don't have nearly the same kind of budget.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't mean for this to sound mean, but your taxes in NJ were probably 4 times what they are here. There is a reason you moved to NC and I'm sure part of it, if not most of that reason was for a cheaper cost of living. Schools here probably do not have the same resources as most NJ schools, because they don't have nearly the same kind of budget.
Massachusetts has a good reputation for special education services (not saying it's wholly deserved, just that it does), and its taxes are comparable to NC, so it's not all about tax rates. (Moreover, I doubt even NJ overall taxes are four times what they are here.) I wouldn't be surprised if one component hurting NC is the constant growth of the schools, which I suspect might make it difficult to maintain and increase the size of consistently excellent special education programs.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 27,715 times
Default thank you

thank you for your replies--I appreciate all of your views and experiences. It gives us a lot to think about.

Good Luck to all of you and I hope services improve for your children.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That may be so, however when children are given an IEP, the schools are required by current state laws and regulations to implement them and find the resources whether it be NJ, NY, NC or anyplace else.

update:
I went to the new school today, but could not enroll my child because I have to go to the base school I was told to opt her out of that school. They were so nice there. The School Psychologist happened to be there and when he heard me mention IEP he came over to chat with us, look over her IEP from AZ and look at the papers from the the IEP meeting we have had in NC, and meet my daughter, also the Speech Therapist came out and spoke to us awhile and told me after my daughter starts school there, they would start her speech within two weeks. She even gave me her email and took mine. Tomorrow I'll do the opting out of the YR base school and get her all enrolled and taken care of. It gave me a good feeling that they both seemed so happy and willing to help my daughter when she is not even enrolled there that.

Last edited by AutumnOrange3; 08-18-2008 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: fixing and adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary