Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It's a super's worst day when this happens, and it does. Avoid if you can.
I bet it isn't fun for the renter either.

Thank god for renter's insurance! Just think of all those washers stacked on top of one another in a high rise apartment building in Manhattan. I think I can sleep at night knowing I only have one above me in my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Thank god for renter's insurance! Just think of all those washers stacked on top of one another in a high rise apartment building in Manhattan. I think I can sleep at night knowing I only have one above me in my home.
We lived in a 6,000 apt complex in Manhattan. No washers permitted in most NYC apts. Laundry room in basement.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Hence the premium for the penthouse!

We've twice had the laundry room on the opposite floor of the bedrooms and 3 times had it on the same floor. I'm one of those people that really doesn't care. I do about one load per day. Whether it's upstairs and I have to go up to switch it from the washer to dryer and then fold it or downstairs and I have to haul it back upstairs doesn't really matter. I'm surprised at how many people require it on the second floor. We sold our home in May after 32 showings and got a lot of detailed feedback and the first floor laundry room was never mentioned.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Mine is on the second floor and only time I have noise is when I run the dryer and it dries the coins , belts, and keys that I have left in the clothing.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:20 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Mine is on the second floor and only time I have noise is when I run the dryer and it dries the coins , belts, and keys that I have left in the clothing.
or when the cat is in there.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/catdryer.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by autumngal; 08-15-2008 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: just call him fluffy :)

Old 08-15-2008, 11:36 AM

167 posts, read 566,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
I wouldn't buy a house with a first floor w/d room unless there was a MAJOR reason that I couldn't live without the house otherwise
That's funny because a laundry room on the first floor is on my must-have list! A big mud room right off the garage with W/D. So that way when you come from all assorted activities (or your children come home from soccer, hockey, dance, football etc.) they dump all their already dirty stuff right there and everyone can take off their muddy shoes before going into the house.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,336 times
Mud room, I'm all for. Laundry on 2nd floor, I'm SUPER DUPER FOR!!! That's where all your laundry is. Now you can just throw it right in there. No hampers. No lugging baskets. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Agree with Gastric - would love a mud room, but the number of "muddy kid clothes" is far less than the number of "clothes i wear every day" clothes.

I suppose I could do it with a downstairs w/d with a laundry chute, but I'd see it as a compromise, not a feature.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Agree with Gastric - would love a mud room, but the number of "muddy kid clothes" is far less than the number of "clothes i wear every day" clothes.

I suppose I could do it with a downstairs w/d with a laundry chute, but I'd see it as a compromise, not a feature.
Agreed! We have the laundry on the second floor. I like that set up since all our bedrooms are up.

We don't have a mud room here but I just have the kids strip off muddy stuff in the garage and toss it in a basket I keep out there. One small basket a week goes up stairs to the laundry, instead of one big basket of laundry every day going down & up the stairs again.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
or when the cat is in there.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/catdryer.jpg (broken link)
GIRL LAYOFF THE BOUNCE SHEETS , or is it add more? lol
Can you even touch that kitty or will you get static shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Agreed! We have the laundry on the second floor. I like that set up since all our bedrooms are up.

We don't have a mud room here but I just have the kids strip off muddy stuff in the garage and toss it in a basket I keep out there. One small basket a week goes up stairs to the laundry, instead of one big basket of laundry every day going down & up the stairs again.
You drop a sock on the stairs ..... You better go back down and someones bloomers is on the kitchen floor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary