U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM

6 posts, read 12,902 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if bandit signs are legal in the Raleigh area? If not legal in the city, what about outside the city limits?

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 AM

5,572 posts, read 16,461,614 times
What's a bandit sign?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 AM

39,038 posts, read 67,618,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
What's a bandit sign?
"WE BUY HOUSES" nailed to a utility pole comes to mind immediately.

"MATTRESSES-SECONDS NEW FROM FACTORY" is a close second.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-15-2008 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-15-2008, 06:38 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,920,783 times
Bandit signs, that is a new one to me as well. Jessie James comes to mind when I hear bandit but I have not seen any wanted signs outside of the post office in quite some time.....

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 AM

847 posts, read 3,357,726 times
Many cities/towns have fines for nailing things to utility poles. In Chapel Hill, it used to be $75, and they enforced it strongly.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 AM

5,572 posts, read 16,461,614 times
Thanks for the explanation Mike. My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Why are "bandit" signs any worse than builder signs at street intersections, or realtor signs at the entrance to subdivisions? I consider all 3 an eyesore . . . . it's just that some are more solidly and expensively built than others.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

9,743 posts, read 28,591,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Thanks for the explanation Mike. My wife and I were discussing this the other day. Why are "bandit" signs any worse than builder signs at street intersections, or realtor signs at the entrance to subdivisions? I consider all 3 an eyesore . . . . it's just that some are more solidly and expensively built than others.
I *think* those new build subdivision and open house signs are regulated by local ordinances too. I think they are only allowed to be up for the weekend and that's it. I've seen people to drive around on Friday's to plop them in the ground then drive around on Sunday evenings and pull them up. They should not be there full time. On the other hand the bandit signs seem to be placed there forever. Hence the deteriorated "Diet Magic" sign you are forced to see everyday when you wait at that traffic light. I really hate the latestfad of people who tape their business cards to drive up ATMs. Yeah, like I'm really going to take one of those.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

847 posts, read 3,357,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I *think* those new build subdivision and open house signs are regulated by local ordinances too. I think they are only allowed to be up for the weekend and that's it.
When I took the real estate course ages ago, the instructor said that the "arrow signs" are never allowed, but the enforcement only works M-F so people take advantage of it. Tricky!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,027 times
In Durham, the so-called bandit signs for new housing developments are legal. Provided they are not placed in the right of way, they contain only the development name and directional information like an "arrow" or "turn ###" etc, No more than 5 signs per community,can be placed no more than a 1 mile away from the community, no more than 2 signs can be placed at an intersection, signs may be no larger than 12"X24" on a white background and stand no taller then 48". They may be left up "all week". Abuse of the ordinance can result in a fine of $300 per day per sign. The city has the right to remove signs in violation. However citizens "do not". Citizens removing legally placed signs is considered theft and the owner of the signs can pursue both criminal and civil remedies.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:43 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,446,258 times
I read an article about this a while back.... there was a gentleman in NH I believe who took down the signs and called the owners to come get them. It was not considered theft since he contacted the sign owners, but after the initial run ins, he had to take the signs to some place like the police station. It was illegal for the bandits to place the signs, but illegal for a private citizen to remove them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary